• In total there are 40 users online :: 0 registered, 0 hidden and 40 guests (based on users active over the past 60 minutes)
    Most users ever online was 871 on Fri Apr 19, 2024 12:00 am

Hello from Janice in South Africa

The perfect space for valuable discussions that may not neatly fit within the other forums.
Forum rules
Do not promote books in this forum. Instead, promote your books in either Authors: Tell us about your FICTION book! or Authors: Tell us about your NON-FICTION book!.

All other Community Rules apply in this and all other forums.
janice37
Getting Comfortable

Hello from Janice in South Africa

Unread post

Hi everyone,

I'm was born in Northern Ireland and moved with my parents to live in Johannesburg, South Africa. I love writing and started out writing the lyrics to my own songs but I hated touring and so I decided to try my hand at writing a movie script. I was really lucky for a production company in the USA loved it and will be shooting it later in 2014. I then decided to write a book and was again really lucky to get a publisher in the USA to publish it as an ebook for me. I've now written yet another movie script a romantic comedy and am developing it with a production company in South Africa with a co-production in the USA. I love animals, horse riding, movies and of course BOOKS. I love a good thriller with a real cool storyline. I'm not into horror or gory scenes.

Best,
Janice
threak17
Eligible to vote in book polls!

Re: Hello from Janice in South Africa

Unread post

Hello Janice, and welcome to the forum!
janice37
Getting Comfortable

Unread post

Thanks. I just love your profile pic.... I popped into your blog / website at wordpress....really cool. I was going to pay monthly for one but I'm now gonna try set up a free one on wordpress. I also had a look at the GET REVIEWS FROM REAL PEOPLE which also seems like a handy site!
Chris OConnor

1A - OWNER
BookTalk.org Hall of Fame
United States of America

Unread post

Hi Janice,

Welcome to the BookTalk.org community. :-)

My grandparents came to the United States from Ireland. I believe from either County Kerry or Cork. Some day I hope to visit.

Let me know if you have any questions about BookTalk.org.

Again, welcome to BookTalk.org!
janice37
Getting Comfortable

Unread post

Thanks. I'm still getting used to the site, but so far the site is wonderful...

The only problem with Ireland is the COLD WEATHER....SA is sooooooo sunny and warm.

Just to change the subject, you can't believe how the Oscar trial is affecting us over here in SA. In the shops yesterday when judgment was handed down a women burst into tears.....the SA people are furious over the judgment...You can't walk into anywhere without hearing Oscar's name.
Chris OConnor

1A - OWNER
United States of America

Unread post

I didn't pay attention to the trial much and "culpable homicide" is a term not used here in the United States. So I had to look it up and read about it before I could understand why the people in South Africa are so furious. From what I watched and heard on the news here it seems there was a pretty even divide in opinions on the verdict. I just don't know enough to have a strong opinion.

There are two possible errors in a criminal trial.

Type 1: An innocent person is found guilty
Type 2: A guilty person is found innocent

I strongly believe that a Type 1 mistake is a bigger nightmare than a Type 2 mistake. I'd rather a guilty person walk than an innocent person be convicted and possibly sentenced to life in prison or even death.

But wow is it frustrating to be utterly convinced someone is guilty and then you watch them escape what you consider justice.

I remember when the OJ Simpson verdict was read. I was at the gym at the University of South Florida and about a hundred of us gathered around the big screen TV and watched in total silence.

When he was found innocent several people openly cried, lots of people yelled out that the verdict was "bullshit," and then one black student high-fived his friend and loudly said (with laughter in his voice), "My boy just got away with murder!" It was sickening.
janice37
Getting Comfortable

Unread post

We will hear the sentence on 13 October! Most people are taking off work over here....that's how popular it is. I feel so sorry for Reeva's family. I only hope if Oscar gets a light sentence that the prosecution can appeal, which they can if its a matter of law that was in error. The can only appeal after the sentence is handed down. You're right everyone is comparing this to the OJ trial. Word has it that Oscar has already started training again....and that he already has a new girlfriend who looks oddly like Reeva.

My boss has a huge TV in his office, on the 13th all of us in the office will be watching it, all praying justice is done!

I've been meaning to ask you, if I want to run a competition with regards to my book, can I do so on this website?

Thanks,
Janice
threak17
Eligible to vote in book polls!

Unread post

I can't believe 'ol Oscar was found not guilty of murder. Admittedly, I'm not up on all the facts in the case, but from what I've read it appeared pretty cut and dried. If he's a sociopath like O.J. Simpson, he'll trip himself up sooner or later. I hope the new GF carries a sidearm, judging by his track record (pun intended) she's in for a rough ride.
Chris OConnor

1A - OWNER
United States of America

Unread post

threak17,

I wasn't aware that Oscar had a track record of physical abuse with girlfriends. To me that doesn't help his case of acting in what he perceived was self-defense. And wasn't the girlfriend in the bathroom? How many burglars break into a house and then hide in the bathroom? Again, I didn't follow this case so forgive my ignorance of the details please.
Janice wrote:I've been meaning to ask you, if I want to run a competition with regards to my book, can I do so on this website?
We used to have a forum for book contests and awards but it was primarily used by me to run contests and give away books. I suggest you run your contest in the "Fiction Book Discussion Forum." Just create a thread with the contest details. We frown on threads with links designed to pull people away from BookTalk.org to another site so create the thread with that in mind.

Return to “Everything Else”