• In total there is 1 user online :: 0 registered, 0 hidden and 1 guest (based on users active over the past 60 minutes)
    Most users ever online was 616 on Thu Jan 18, 2024 7:47 pm

Hello From Florida!

The perfect space for valuable discussions that may not neatly fit within the other forums.
Forum rules
Do not promote books in this forum. Instead, promote your books in either Authors: Tell us about your FICTION book! or Authors: Tell us about your NON-FICTION book!.

All other Community Rules apply in this and all other forums.
AntyNet0914

Hello From Florida!

Unread post

Hello world of booktalk!Hi all.....25 yr old female avid reader here in the Tampa FL area. This site is absolutly awesome! I got so excited when I found it, I don't even remember where I found it! But I have found tons of great info in the short 2 days I have been here....Thanks for the great site!!!-AntyNet
Chris OConnor

1A - OWNER
BookTalk.org Hall of Fame
United States of America

Re: Hello From Florida!

Unread post

Welcome to BookTalk!You could have learned about us in many different ways - since you're a fellow Floridian. I've got some ads on Craig's List and in the Sarasota edition of the Weekly Planet. In time I'd like to get a local group of BookTalk members to meet once per month to discuss our book selections over Stick around AntyNet! Chris
Mr. P

1F - BRONZE CONTRIBUTOR
Has Plan to Save Books During Fire

Unread post

Welcome ANTY! Please jump right in...we have towels for when you are ready to dry off!Mr. P. The one thing of which I am positive is that there is much of which to be negative - Mr. P.The pain in hell has two sides. The kind you can touch with your hand; the kind you can feel in your heart...Scorsese's "Mean Streets"I came to kick ass and chew Bubble Gum...and I am all out of Bubble Gum - They Live, Roddy Piper
AntyNet0914

Unread post

Chris,You are probably right about me seeing this in Craigslist. I would love to try to arrange getting together to discuss books! Most of my friends think I am a total dork for falling in love with this site. What do they know anyways!!!-AntyNet
AntyNet0914

The Journal Starts here.....

Unread post

Oh boy, now I am given the opertunity to waste even MORE time here at work by blogging at yet another site.So, I have this silly tech support job, which basically amounts to me sitting on my ass and waiting for people to call me and try to explain to me how their computer is "broke" and how they did absolutly nothing to make it that way.I spoke with a guy on Thursday who spilled coffee "in" his laptop. Neat trick! One day I think I will write a book about my experience here. Its as close to "Office Space" as it gets.Since my weekend is Friday and Saturday, today is technically my monday, hence why I am sitting here at work at 6:45am on a Sunday morning. The weekend went very well, Friday was spent doing things like laundry and straightening up, and yesterday I learned how to replace brake pads. Ok, I'll admit, I know nothing about cars, other then you put gas in them, turn the wheel, push the gas and go. But my new boyfriend used to work on cars, so I am taking advantage of the learning opertunity. Hey, you can never know too much.I also managed to infect his computer with a virus (oops), but that was taken care of within an hour. He really freaked out, as his computer smarts is about as limited as my car smarts. I tell ya, no faith!!!Also over the weekend I started reading The Red Queen: Sex and the Evolution of Human Nature by Matt Ridley. (If interested check out this link: www.amazon.com/exec/obido...s&n=507846 )Its an interesting read, although I am not all to certain I agree with his way of thinking at this point in the book. It unfortunatly may become one of those books I read the first 50 or so pages of, and then put it down.Also, I started reading Hannibal, inspired by seeing Jodi Foster on "Inside the Actors Studio". I bought the book some time ago, but never got around to reading it. Obviously its much better then the movie!AND finally I have been in the process of re-reading "High Fidelity", which is one of my all time favorite books. I usually read it on Sunday's when I am here at work and it is slow. I have read several other Hornby books, and I really enjoy his work. Only 9 more days until Henry Rollins! YAY!-AntyNet
tarav

1F - BRONZE CONTRIBUTOR
Genuinely Genius

Re: The Journal Starts here.....

Unread post

Welcome! It sounds as if you will fit in nicely here, at BookTalk. The Red Queen was actually one of our book selections pub141.ezboard.com/fbooktalkfrm69. Feel free to post on Ridley's book even though it is in our archives. I look forward to seeing you around!
Chris OConnor

1A - OWNER
BookTalk.org Hall of Fame
United States of America

Unread post

I struggle so much with computers that I can relate to the frustration of some of your callers. My retractable cup holder sometimes jams. We had Ridley as guest in our chat room too! He was one of our most enjoyable chat guests. Maybe we'll ahve him again with a different book.Nice to have you as part of the community.
AntyNet0914

Unread post

Monday morning. 6:30am. Here at work, with massive amounts of coffee to soon be surging through my tired brain. Yesterday my boyfriend managed to really screw up his PC. He spent 6 hours on the phone with tech support. When I arrived, I noted his "angry attitude". He explained the problem to me.An hour and a half later it was fixed."What did we learn about computers today Bob?"Bob - "We learned never to call tech support before calling Antoinette."Lesson learned. Actually it was a fairly difficult problem, that I don't think your average PC user could have fixed. I was somewhat proud of myself when it was completed. Then we watched "The Transporter" and had some pretty average pizza. Tampa has no good pizza places. I am convinced of that.This weekend shows promises of drinking lots of beer and fixing my car (Which I am in the process of learning how to do). I think I will have more fun with the drinking beer then I will with the fixing of the auto. But we all start somewhere, right?I went home early last night to catch up on some sleep, and of course, I picked up Hannibal and got involved in reading that. I really should learn! Pretty decent book so far....I'd give it maybe a 7. I am not big into fiction though.I am going insane with a song stuck in my head. Its on this constant loop, which I believe one day will inspire me to scoop my own brain out with a spork.You'll have to excuse the wierdness....I blame it on lack of sleep.-Antoinette
AntyNet0914

Unread post

Testing my new, spiffy signature. There is an idea of a Patrick Bateman; some kind of abstraction. But there is no real me: only an entity, something illusory. And though I can hide my cold gaze, and you can shake my hand and feel flesh gripping yours and maybe you can even sense our lifestyles are probably comparable... I simply am not there.
MadArchitect

1E - BANNED
The Pope of Literature

Unread post

I worked in tech support for a while; mostly a university gig, barely paid and I was worth every penny. Is it wrong that a got a little malicious glee any time someone admitted to me that they had entrusted a single floppy disk as the sole copy of their term paper, only to subject it to the tender mercies of a public computer? I mean, honestly!

Return to “Everything Else”