• In total there are 0 users online :: 0 registered, 0 hidden and 0 guests (based on users active over the past 60 minutes)
    Most users ever online was 616 on Thu Jan 18, 2024 7:47 pm

"Heaven" - with Barbara Walters

Engage in conversations about worldwide religions, cults, philosophy, atheism, freethought, critical thinking, and skepticism in this forum.
Forum rules
Do not promote books in this forum. Instead, promote your books in either Authors: Tell us about your FICTION book! or Authors: Tell us about your NON-FICTION book!.

All other Community Rules apply in this and all other forums.
Chris OConnor

1A - OWNER
BookTalk.org Hall of Fame
United States of America

Unread post

"Heaven" - with Barbara WaltersI'm watching this special right now and would love to discuss it with anyone else that is watching. Obviously, the discussion would be after it is over. Chris Edited by: Chris OConnor  at: 12/20/05 9:26 pm
Frank 013
Worthy of Worship

Unread post

Sorry I missed that show, what did you think? I am still left wondering. Later
Chris OConnor

1A - OWNER
United States of America

Re: "Heaven" - with Barbara Walters

Unread post

The whole thing was simply scary. The nutty things grown adults believe in completely baffles me and leaves me aprehensive for our future.She interviewed ministers and failed suicide bombers. Obe thing they all had in common was an inability to think clearly. It was as if they were all wearing some sort of horse blinders that prevented them from seeing their own beliefs in context.
AnnetteS

Unread post

I missed "Heaven". However, on a commercial for the show I noticed Ms. Walters was to interview the Dalai Lama. My husband told me recently he heard the Dahai Lama claimed Hurricane Katrine hit New Orleans because of Karma. Bizarre. Perhaps the only way you could stretch that one out is to bring in global warming, then claim that man's apathy and greed has brought it about. Those wrongful qualities caused "bad vibes". Then you'd need solid proof global warming was responsible for this hurricane. Oh, and you'd have to believe in Karma. Now that's a stretch. Maybe Richard Gere could explain it.
Chris OConnor

1A - OWNER
United States of America

Unread post

AnnetteYea, Karma is nonsense, but look at the big picture. In my opinion Buddhism is probably the most peaceful religion on Earth.What is the effect of belief in Karma? The Dalai Lama may teach that the hurricane was the result of Karma, so adherents to Tibetan Buddhism may take a lesson from the experience and strive to be better people - less greedy and more compassionate. In the end the world benefits.The down side is that Tibetan Buddhists are missing one of life's important lessons, and that being:"shit happens" to good people for no apparent reason based on simple probability, and we all must live our lives like there is no tomorrow, because for a handful of us there probably won't be a tomorrow.It's a hard call for me. Believing in a God, Jesus, heaven, sins, Karma, and so on, is intellectually dishonest, but of all the belief systems, I think Buddhism has proven to be one that is very unlikely to bring war or atrocities to non-adherents. History tells us we cannot say the same for Christianity, Islam or Judaism.
Frank 013
Worthy of Worship

Unread post

ChrisI like Buddhism for the same reasons, as well as their belief that there are many roads to enlightenment, not just theirs. A good person is a good person in their view. Theirs is a very mature religon, if you ask me. At least compared to the others on the market.Later
MadArchitect

1E - BANNED
The Pope of Literature

Unread post

Buddhism has had its episodes of violence. I don't know that I'd say they're comparable, but it's important to note that it isn't immune.But then, what institution, religious or otherwise, is immune? Maybe the Amish...

Return to “Religion & Philosophy”