• In total there are 14 users online :: 0 registered, 0 hidden and 14 guests (based on users active over the past 60 minutes)
    Most users ever online was 789 on Tue Mar 19, 2024 5:08 am

Heart of Darkness: Student Message Board Involvement

#44: Feb. - Mar. 2008 (Fiction)
vichan10

Re: Heart of Darkness: Student Message Board Involvement

Unread post

Virginia from 1st period! :)

When I read to the part where Marlow heard a very loud cry I was wanted to stop reading the book. I think that part made me kind of uncomfortable because when I was reading, I imagined the whole story in my mind and that part made me predict that something really bad is gonna happen. I think the man that lives in the hut is Mr. Kurtz. My prediction was that he was the one screaming because he might of gone crazy. The title of the story relates to this scene because Mr. Kurtz can symbolize darkness. When he turned crazy that can be the point that reached the heart of center of darkness.
keenechan
Getting Comfortable

Unread post

Hello Everyone there. I think what Dwill is saying that tellling the truth is harder for others than it is for yourself. Also with the same idea i feel as if in this world we are alone and yet you can end up finding someone or not.
Evan
Getting Comfortable

Unread post

This is Evan, from first period

Of course, the term "heart of Darkness" has already been mentioned directly in the novel to refer to their journey as they move closer and closer to where Kurtz is, deeper into the "heart of darkness." Overlooking that single mention, though, I think Heart of Darkness really taps into the essence of all human evil. Yes, it can be applied to the setting alone, which is a place of much despair, sadness, hopelessness and oppression, but the setting in itself can symbolize all the weaknesses and horrors of human nature, and in that sense, the title relates not only to the setting but also to the greatest, darkest flaws in human nature.
Chris OConnor

1A - OWNER
BookTalk.org Hall of Fame
United States of America

Unread post

Hello everyone,

My name is Chris O'Connor and I'm the owner of BookTalk.org. I can't help but wonder a few things, so I'm hoping someone would help me here. What grade are you guys in? What city/state and school? I intrigued by the idea of schools using BookTalk.org as a tool for talking about books. This has been really fun to watch!

If anyone has any problems or questions don't hesitate to ask for help. :)
JeLam
Getting Comfortable

Unread post

We're a bunch of Sophomores (10th graders) from Balboa High School in San Francisco, California. (:
Chris OConnor

1A - OWNER
BookTalk.org Hall of Fame
United States of America

Unread post

Thank you JeLam! :)
The ONE
Official Newbie!

Unread post

gimeee that beckyyyy.
rodel 1st period.
i think HOD shows the great deal of hatred in a particular area. where alll that hate goes into, and thrives around everything any anything around it. thats my opinion

Return to “Heart of Darkness - by Joseph Conrad”