• In total there are 3 users online :: 0 registered, 0 hidden and 3 guests (based on users active over the past 60 minutes)
    Most users ever online was 709 on Tue Mar 19, 2024 1:09 am

Have you read the whole Bible?

Engage in conversations about worldwide religions, cults, philosophy, atheism, freethought, critical thinking, and skepticism in this forum.
Forum rules
Do not promote books in this forum. Instead, promote your books in either Authors: Tell us about your FICTION book! or Authors: Tell us about your NON-FICTION book!.

All other Community Rules apply in this and all other forums.
Gnostic Bishop
Just realized BookTalk.org is awesome!

Re: Have you read the whole Bible?

Unread post

Robert Tulip wrote:
Gnostic Bishop wrote:one does not
Just taking this quote out of context to illustrate that even in context it lacks enough supporting words to make any sense. I assume it means "if one does not consider it legitimate or healthy to try to separate out the bad stuff and keep the good stuff", but all the extra quoted text makes it confusing.
It is not confusing to me but your reply is.

Regards
DL
Harry Marks
Bookasaurus
Ukraine

Unread post

Gnostic Bishop wrote:
Harry Marks wrote:But I don't expect everyone to consider it legitimate or healthy to try to separate out the bad stuff and keep the good stuff.
If one does not, then one can never decide if the ideology is good or evil.
It's not the clearest, but since I do this myself I didn't have too much trouble deciphering. A comment whose reference is otherwise unclear is probably commenting on the last sentence of the quoted material.

If people are going to insist that thought systems have to be accepted or rejected in one piece, not sorted through for gems, then they are going to find that lots of people reject their system. And often, the more those people think for themselves, the more likely that they judge the system faulty. If I were of a mind to argue people need to keep the original system intact, I would give thought to who I am fencing in and who I am fencing out.
Gnostic Bishop

Unread post

Harry Marks wrote:
Gnostic Bishop wrote:
Harry Marks wrote:But I don't expect everyone to consider it legitimate or healthy to try to separate out the bad stuff and keep the good stuff.
If one does not, then one can never decide if the ideology is good or evil.
It's not the clearest, but since I do this myself I didn't have too much trouble deciphering. A comment whose reference is otherwise unclear is probably commenting on the last sentence of the quoted material.

If people are going to insist that thought systems have to be accepted or rejected in one piece, not sorted through for gems, then they are going to find that lots of people reject their system. And often, the more those people think for themselves, the more likely that they judge the system faulty. If I were of a mind to argue people need to keep the original system intact, I would give thought to who I am fencing in and who I am fencing out.
Some systems should be scrapped altogether if they produce more evil than good.

I.E. The KKK ideology, Nazism and it's ideology, Christianity and Islam.

I do hear you on not throwing out babies with the bathwater, as an esoteric ecumenist, I shamelessly cherry pick from any ideology if the rule or law is worthy. That is how Gnostic Christianity works and why it is such a great ideology. We can evolve our rules and laws while most idol or ideology worshiping religions like Christianity and Islam cannot.

Regards
DL
Robert Tulip

2B - MOD & SILVER
BookTalk.org Hall of Fame
Australia

Unread post

Harry Marks wrote:If people are going to insist that thought systems have to be accepted or rejected in one piece, not sorted through for gems, then they are going to find that lots of people reject their system.
Jesus Christ explains this point very clearly.
Jesus Christ wrote:Matthew 13:24-30 New King James Version (NKJV)
The Parable of the Wheat and the Tares
24 Another parable He put forth to them, saying: “The kingdom of heaven is like a man who sowed good seed in his field; 25 but while men slept, his enemy came and sowed tares among the wheat and went his way. 26 But when the grain had sprouted and produced a crop, then the tares also appeared. 27 So the servants of the owner came and said to him, ‘Sir, did you not sow good seed in your field? How then does it have tares?’ 28 He said to them, ‘An enemy has done this.’ The servants said to him, ‘Do you want us then to go and gather them up?’ 29 But he said, ‘No, lest while you gather up the tares you also uproot the wheat with them. 30 Let both grow together until the harvest, and at the time of harvest I will say to the reapers, “First gather together the tares and bind them in bundles to burn them, but gather the wheat into my barn.”’”

The wheat is the lost Gnostic secret cosmic wisdom, while the tares are the false literal teachings of the church. They grow together until the end of the age, when they will both be fully ripe and it will become possible to separate them from each other, retaining the wheat and discarding the tares.
Harry Marks
Bookasaurus
Ukraine

Unread post

Gnostic Bishop wrote: I do hear you on not throwing out babies with the bathwater, as an esoteric ecumenist, I shamelessly cherry pick from any ideology if the rule or law is worthy.
Cherry-picking is only a problem if it is done with evidence, to give a partial picture of the facts. With values and wisdom, cherry-picking should be practiced regularly! Individuals and traditions, especially ancient traditions, have a partial picture of matters, and they should have the "worthy" parts (as you aptly put it) lifted up, not as evidence that the source is wonderful, but as insight to be pondered.
Gnostic Bishop

Unread post

Robert Tulip wrote:
Harry Marks wrote:If people are going to insist that thought systems have to be accepted or rejected in one piece, not sorted through for gems, then they are going to find that lots of people reject their system.
Jesus Christ explains this point very clearly.
Jesus Christ wrote:Matthew 13:24-30 New King James Version (NKJV)
The Parable of the Wheat and the Tares
24 Another parable He put forth to them, saying: “The kingdom of heaven is like a man who sowed good seed in his field; 25 but while men slept, his enemy came and sowed tares among the wheat and went his way. 26 But when the grain had sprouted and produced a crop, then the tares also appeared. 27 So the servants of the owner came and said to him, ‘Sir, did you not sow good seed in your field? How then does it have tares?’ 28 He said to them, ‘An enemy has done this.’ The servants said to him, ‘Do you want us then to go and gather them up?’ 29 But he said, ‘No, lest while you gather up the tares you also uproot the wheat with them. 30 Let both grow together until the harvest, and at the time of harvest I will say to the reapers, “First gather together the tares and bind them in bundles to burn them, but gather the wheat into my barn.”’”

The wheat is the lost Gnostic secret cosmic wisdom, while the tares are the false literal teachings of the church. They grow together until the end of the age, when they will both be fully ripe and it will become possible to separate them from each other, retaining the wheat and discarding the tares.
If only the scribes had put the word Gnostic in their writings.

Let us pray to all the imaginary Gods that the end of the age comes quickly.

Regards
DL
Gnostic Bishop

Unread post

Harry Marks wrote:
Gnostic Bishop wrote: I do hear you on not throwing out babies with the bathwater, as an esoteric ecumenist, I shamelessly cherry pick from any ideology if the rule or law is worthy.
Cherry-picking is only a problem if it is done with evidence, to give a partial picture of the facts. With values and wisdom, cherry-picking should be practiced regularly! Individuals and traditions, especially ancient traditions, have a partial picture of matters, and they should have the "worthy" parts (as you aptly put it) lifted up, not as evidence that the source is wonderful, but as insight to be pondered.
I agree but your word "evidence" threw me off a bit.

Logic and reason is what I use to choose what I think is the best rules and laws.

If that is what you meant with that word then I am all in.

Regards
DL
Harry Marks
Bookasaurus
Ukraine

Unread post

Gnostic Bishop wrote:
Harry Marks wrote: Cherry-picking is only a problem if it is done with evidence, to give a partial picture of the facts.

Logic and reason is what I use to choose what I think is the best rules and laws.

Actually I had in mind something even further afield. There are lots of complaints about "cherry-picking" evidence that, say, Christianity is a force for good in the world, or Christianity is a force for evil in the world, or complexity has no path to arise via evolution because partial complexity doesn't function. Cherry-picking has gotten a bad name. But in the kind of use you are making of it, I simply wanted to underline that I think it is entirely appropriate.
Robert Tulip

2B - MOD & SILVER
BookTalk.org Hall of Fame
Australia

Unread post

Cherry-picking rejects relativism, and in this insane postmodern world in which we live in, to quote Sir Paul's grammastrophe, rejecting relativism involves discrimination, and discrimination is wrong. That is why the King of Hearts was unable to discern the difference in meaning between important and unimportant. Such discernment involves cherry-picking. Perish the thought that anyone could tell true from false or right from wrong.

Edit: corrected to state "rejecting relativism involves", replacing "relativism".
Last edited by Robert Tulip on Sun Feb 11, 2018 8:13 pm, edited 2 times in total.
Gnostic Bishop

Unread post

Harry Marks wrote:
Gnostic Bishop wrote:
Harry Marks wrote: Cherry-picking is only a problem if it is done with evidence, to give a partial picture of the facts.

Actually I had in mind something even further afield. There are lots of complaints about "cherry-picking" evidence that, say, Christianity is a force for good in the world, or Christianity is a force for evil in the world, or complexity has no path to arise via evolution because partial complexity doesn't function. Cherry-picking has gotten a bad name. But in the kind of use you are making of it, I simply wanted to underline that I think it is entirely appropriate.
Thanks.

Unless one finds a full system or ideology that suits all of us, I agree and think that is the best way to go.

That is why I chose to label myself a Gnostic Christian.

Regards
DL

Return to “Religion & Philosophy”