• In total there is 1 user online :: 0 registered, 0 hidden and 1 guest (based on users active over the past 60 minutes)
    Most users ever online was 616 on Thu Jan 18, 2024 7:47 pm

Have you had a book change your life?

The perfect space for valuable discussions that may not neatly fit within the other forums.
Forum rules
Do not promote books in this forum. Instead, promote your books in either Authors: Tell us about your FICTION book! or Authors: Tell us about your NON-FICTION book!.

All other Community Rules apply in this and all other forums.
booper54

Have you had a book change your life?

Unread post

I'd like to see what kinds of books changed peoples' lives.Cosmos by Carl Sagan changed mine because it's what got me very interested in astronomy (which is now my major in college) and got me to question my religion among other things.
Mr. P

1F - BRONZE CONTRIBUTOR
Has Plan to Save Books During Fire

Re: Have you had a book change your life?

Unread post

Not a book, but an author, scientist and brilliant mind:Isaac Asimov.Mr. P. The one thing of which I am positive is that there is much of which to be negative - Mr. P.I came to get down, I came to get down. So get out ya seat and jump around - House of PainHEY! Is that a ball in your court? - Mr. PI came to kick ass and chew Bubble Gum...and I am all out of Bubble Gum - They Live, Roddy Piper
Chris OConnor

1A - OWNER
BookTalk.org Hall of Fame
United States of America

Unread post

Sagan's Cosmos was one of the most influential books for me.Chris "Education is the most powerful weapon which you can use to change the world." - Nelson Mandela
fpla83

Unread post

I found that The Stranger by Camus had a profound effect on my life. Not that it changed how I thought just that it embodied and reinforced my views on life. There are many other books of course, A Million Little Pieces, Less than Zero, Quiet Days in Clichy and of course Nausea. I am sure there are others but the titles escape me at the moment.
tarav

1F - BRONZE CONTRIBUTOR
Genuinely Genius

Unread post

It would be hard for me to name a particular book that I read, that changed my life. However, a book that my mom read changed my life. My mom read Gone With the Wind when she was 16. She decided then, that if she ever had a girl, she would name the child, Tara(the name of the plantation in GWTW). She did! She also gave me a copy of GWTW for my 16th birthday. I read it right away. I still love that book. My mom not only gave me a name from literature, but instilled in me a love of reading that greatly affects my life. I thought this would be a nice story to share...I also wanted to take, "Have you ever smoked pot?" off the top of the list!!!!
RickU

Unread post

Early in life Heinlein and Asimov's kids books. David Starr space ranger, Have Spacesuit Will Travel...Later more Heinlein and Asimov with more adult and educational fare - Stranger in a Strange Land, Asimov on physics...any # of Asimov short stories.On a more philosophical bent Ayn Rands Fountainhead and Atlas Shrugged as well as Herman Hesse's body of work. In Vino Veritas
stevepainter

Unread post

At the risk of sounding a bit loopy, I've got to put this out there - ready?Chariots of the GodsI know it's pretty much crap. I should say that I know now it's pretty much crap. It did have a big positive effect on me though.I was raised in a Catholic family. We weren't real strict - went to church on Sundays, etc. but that's about it. My friends in school were some other nondescript form of American Christianity if they weren't Catholic. That's the background. I read a lot. I'm often amused at how it doesn't seem that most Catholics are really encouraged to read the Bible. I read it though, along with a lot of other things. I recall feeling that something wasn't quite right about all this stuff. The problem was one of alternatives. Again, my world was a Christian world. In some ways the pervasiveness of it was more extreme than a cult because of it not ever really being an issue. It was like the air we breathe - God exists, Jesus loves you, God created the world somehow, created people somehow - even through evolution - but all through it all the underlying FACT of God and Jesus, etc. was the unquestioned basis of reality.Enter Chariots of the Gods. Again - if you haven't read it, don't expect a major revelation. It's been pretty thoroughly discredited also. But it did something very good. It opened my eyes to alternate ways of looking at reality. Timing can be everything, and I read this book at just the right time in my life for it to have this effect.It's kind of funny really - I've read most of the other books mentioned. Heinlein, Asimov, Sagan, et al are all well respected - and yet a trashy pseudo-science book is the first to come to my mind when I read the question. I hadn't thought of it in years, but it really did act as a catalyst to allow me to completely change my worldview.
RickU

Unread post

Anything that can open your eyes to a different way of thinking is good. In Vino Veritas
Timothy Schoonover

Unread post

If you haven't had a book that changed your life, you aren't reading the right books or you aren't reading at all.Books at the top of my list:The Jungle (the other side of capitalism)My Name is Asher Lev (beautiful depiction of what it truly means to love art)Another Roadside Attraction (whimsical fun-filled and intelligent demonstration of postmodern theory)Atlas Shrugged (great example of how to be completely wrong in the most brilliant imaginative and thought-provoking way possible...1000+ pages...eep O_o)The Dark Elf Trilogy (because Drizzt is wtfpwnintehfaceman)I
Mr. P

1F - BRONZE CONTRIBUTOR
Has Plan to Save Books During Fire

Unread post

Atlas Shrugged...have been "reading" that for three years now...up to page 600. It is well written and a good story, but I agree...off-base with my views.Mr. P. The one thing of which I am positive is that there is much of which to be negative - Mr. P.I came to get down, I came to get down. So get out ya seat and jump around - House of PainHEY! Is that a ball in your court? - Mr. PI came to kick ass and chew Bubble Gum...and I am all out of Bubble Gum - They Live, Roddy Piper

Return to “Everything Else”