Online reading group and book discussion forum
  HOME ENTER FORUMS OUR BOOKS LINKS DONATE ADVERTISE CONTACT  
View unanswered posts | View active topics It is currently Sat Oct 19, 2019 7:49 am





Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 41 posts ] • Topic evaluate: Evaluations: 0, 0.00 on the average.Evaluations: 0, 0.00 on the average.Evaluations: 0, 0.00 on the average.Evaluations: 0, 0.00 on the average.Evaluations: 0, 0.00 on the average.  Go to page 1, 2, 3  Next
Have Gravity Waves really been discovered yet? 
Author Message
User avatar
Years of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membership
BookTalk.org Hall of Fame

Gold Contributor

Joined: Jun 2011
Posts: 5481
Thanks: 1302
Thanked: 889 times in 763 posts
Gender: None specified
Country: United States (us)

Post Have Gravity Waves really been discovered yet?
Who here is confident science has confirmed the existence of Einstein's famous prediction?



Fri May 27, 2016 11:00 am
Profile Email
User avatar
Years of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membership
Book Aficionado

BookTalk.org Moderator
Silver Contributor 2

Joined: Oct 2010
Posts: 1761
Thanks: 154
Thanked: 730 times in 548 posts
Gender: Male

Post Re: Have Gravity Waves really been discovered yet?
The scientific community seemed pretty confident about it, you know something they don't? Are there any prominent skeptics?

They don't have 100% certainty about the universe, in case you were wondering.



The following user would like to thank Dexter for this post:
ant
Fri May 27, 2016 12:00 pm
Profile Email
User avatar
Years of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membership
pets endangered by possible book avalanche

BookTalk.org Moderator
Platinum Contributor

Joined: Aug 2008
Posts: 4376
Location: NC
Thanks: 1860
Thanked: 1925 times in 1442 posts
Gender: Male

Post Re: Have Gravity Waves really been discovered yet?
ant wrote:
Who here is confident science has confirmed the existence of Einstein's famous prediction?

What do YOU think, Ant?


_________________
-Geo
Question everything


The following user would like to thank geo for this post:
ant
Fri May 27, 2016 12:49 pm
Profile
User avatar
Years of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membership
Likes the book better than the movie


Joined: Mar 2015
Posts: 826
Thanks: 36
Thanked: 467 times in 356 posts
Gender: Male
Country: United States (us)

Post Re: Have Gravity Waves really been discovered yet?
Hilarious that no one took the bait.



Fri May 27, 2016 1:16 pm
Profile Email
User avatar
Years of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membership
Nutty for Books


Joined: Jul 2013
Posts: 1581
Location: Dublin
Thanks: 832
Thanked: 704 times in 604 posts
Gender: Male
Country: Ireland (ie)

Post Re: Have Gravity Waves really been discovered yet?
They certainly think they have found or more accurately heard them. Maybe. I suppose they will keep researching and see if they get confirmations, or not.

Here's an article by a guy who was involved with the Ligo project.

http://www.popsci.com/what-happens-when ... onal-waves



Last edited by Flann 5 on Fri May 27, 2016 1:36 pm, edited 1 time in total.



Fri May 27, 2016 1:35 pm
Profile Email
User avatar
Years of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membership
BookTalk.org Hall of Fame

Gold Contributor

Joined: Jun 2011
Posts: 5481
Thanks: 1302
Thanked: 889 times in 763 posts
Gender: None specified
Country: United States (us)

Post Re: Have Gravity Waves really been discovered yet?
You guys are the scientifically literate people. Theists and maybe even some of those fickle Agnostics who are too cowardly to pick a side (kind of a joke there) arent as scientifically informed. They're likely to just shrug their shoulders and say" Goddunit" or "it's magic"

Read this article then science me hard - yes, no, or "Maybe. But it's okay and worth saying Yes, we have"

http://www.nature.com/news/einstein-s-g ... st-1.19361



Fri May 27, 2016 2:06 pm
Profile Email
User avatar
Years of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membership
BookTalk.org Hall of Fame

Gold Contributor

Joined: Jun 2011
Posts: 5481
Thanks: 1302
Thanked: 889 times in 763 posts
Gender: None specified
Country: United States (us)

Post Re: Have Gravity Waves really been discovered yet?
Flann 5 wrote:
They certainly think they have found or more accurately heard them. Maybe. I suppose they will keep researching and see if they get confirmations, or not.

Here's an article by a guy who was involved with the Ligo project.

http://www.popsci.com/what-happens-when ... onal-waves


The grand announcement was most certainly a claim that gravity waves have been detected.
So that's a "Yes" from science.



Fri May 27, 2016 2:07 pm
Profile Email
User avatar
Years of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membership
BookTalk.org Hall of Fame

Gold Contributor

Joined: Jun 2011
Posts: 5481
Thanks: 1302
Thanked: 889 times in 763 posts
Gender: None specified
Country: United States (us)

Post Re: Have Gravity Waves really been discovered yet?
Dexter wrote:
The scientific community seemed pretty confident about it, you know something they don't? Are there any prominent skeptics?

They don't have 100% certainty about the universe, in case you were wondering.


Let's stay on topic, okay?
No one claimed certainty about the universe.
We're talking specifically about gravity waves.



Fri May 27, 2016 2:09 pm
Profile Email
User avatar
Years of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membership
BookTalk.org Hall of Fame

Gold Contributor

Joined: Jun 2011
Posts: 5481
Thanks: 1302
Thanked: 889 times in 763 posts
Gender: None specified
Country: United States (us)

Post Re: Have Gravity Waves really been discovered yet?
DB Roy wrote:
Hilarious that no one took the bait.



You have an anxiety disorder, huh?



Fri May 27, 2016 2:15 pm
Profile Email
User avatar
Years of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membership
Book Aficionado

BookTalk.org Moderator
Silver Contributor 2

Joined: Oct 2010
Posts: 1761
Thanks: 154
Thanked: 730 times in 548 posts
Gender: Male

Post Re: Have Gravity Waves really been discovered yet?
ant wrote:
Dexter wrote:
The scientific community seemed pretty confident about it, you know something they don't? Are there any prominent skeptics?

They don't have 100% certainty about the universe, in case you were wondering.


Let's stay on topic, okay?
No one claimed certainty about the universe.
We're talking specifically about gravity waves.


The scientific community seemed pretty confident about it. That's about all anyone here is going to be able to say about it. Did you have a point, or an opinion on the technical details?



Fri May 27, 2016 2:25 pm
Profile Email
User avatar
Years of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membership
BookTalk.org Hall of Fame

Gold Contributor

Joined: Jun 2011
Posts: 5481
Thanks: 1302
Thanked: 889 times in 763 posts
Gender: None specified
Country: United States (us)

Post Re: Have Gravity Waves really been discovered yet?
So youre saying it's a consensus so an argument ad populum is a good fallacy to hang your hat on because it's a community of scientists?
Okay, thats fine. I can accept your attempts at reasoning this out.

Did you read the article in Nature that I linked?

Ill read it a second time and give you my opinion while attempting to avoid fallacious reasoning.



Fri May 27, 2016 2:44 pm
Profile Email
User avatar
Years of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membership
Book Aficionado

BookTalk.org Moderator
Silver Contributor 2

Joined: Oct 2010
Posts: 1761
Thanks: 154
Thanked: 730 times in 548 posts
Gender: Male

Post Re: Have Gravity Waves really been discovered yet?
ant wrote:
So youre saying it's a consensus so an argument ad populum is a good fallacy to hang your hat on because it's a community of scientists?
Okay, thats fine. I can accept your attempts at reasoning this out.


There's a difference between an argument ad populum and learning about science from listening to scientists.

You must be pretty busy repeating all of the scientific experiments throughout history.



Fri May 27, 2016 2:52 pm
Profile Email
User avatar
Years of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membership
BookTalk.org Hall of Fame

Gold Contributor

Joined: Jun 2011
Posts: 5481
Thanks: 1302
Thanked: 889 times in 763 posts
Gender: None specified
Country: United States (us)

Post Re: Have Gravity Waves really been discovered yet?
Wait, what?
Youre saying that as a layman agreeing with the scientific community about something and arguing it must be true ( or believing) because theyre scientists is not an argument ad populum (or authority) because theyre scientists?

Remeber that embarrassment the scientific community inflected on themselves when they formally announced the speed of light was not consistent then had to take it back because there were errors in measurements and observation?

The people that believed them at the time werent guilty of an argument ad populum and or an argument from authority?

Is this where you ask me for evidence for those people's existence?
"Who are these people you claim exist?"



Fri May 27, 2016 3:09 pm
Profile Email
User avatar
Years of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membership
Book Aficionado

BookTalk.org Moderator
Silver Contributor 2

Joined: Oct 2010
Posts: 1761
Thanks: 154
Thanked: 730 times in 548 posts
Gender: Male

Post Re: Have Gravity Waves really been discovered yet?
You're on a crusade against a phantom opponent again. No one said it must be true because of a scientific consensus.

Good luck with your argument, go get 'em! We're all rooting for you!



Fri May 27, 2016 3:15 pm
Profile Email
User avatar
Years of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membership
BookTalk.org Hall of Fame

Gold Contributor

Joined: Jun 2011
Posts: 5481
Thanks: 1302
Thanked: 889 times in 763 posts
Gender: None specified
Country: United States (us)

Post Re: Have Gravity Waves really been discovered yet?
Dexter wrote:
You're on a crusade against a phantom opponent again. No one said it must be true because of a scientific consensus.

Good luck with your argument, go get 'em! We're all rooting for you!



Do you or dont you believe gravity waves have been discovered or are you skeptical about the claim?

Youre distracting from the topic. Like a typical atheist, you want to inject yourself into a conversation, make no claims or commitments, and attack other people who are willing to commit.

Youre full of it.
Intellectual cowardice.



Fri May 27, 2016 3:21 pm
Profile Email
Display posts from previous:  Sort by  
Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 41 posts ] • Topic evaluate: Evaluations: 0, 0.00 on the average.Evaluations: 0, 0.00 on the average.Evaluations: 0, 0.00 on the average.Evaluations: 0, 0.00 on the average.Evaluations: 0, 0.00 on the average.  Go to page 1, 2, 3  Next



Who is online

Users browsing this forum: No registered users and 6 guests


You cannot post new topics in this forum
You cannot reply to topics in this forum
You cannot edit your posts in this forum
You cannot delete your posts in this forum
You cannot post attachments in this forum

Search for:

Announcements 

• Promote Your Fiction Book on BookTalk.org
Sun Jul 30, 2017 7:33 pm

• Promote Your Non-Fiction Book on BookTalk.org
Sun Jul 30, 2017 7:18 pm



Site Resources 
HELPFUL INFO:
Forum Rules & Tips
Frequently Asked Questions
BBCode Explained
Author Interview Transcripts
Be a Book Discussion Leader!

IDEAS FOR WHAT TO READ:
Bestsellers
Book Awards
• Book Reviews
• Online Books
• Team Picks
Newspaper Book Sections

WHERE TO BUY BOOKS:
• Great resource pages are coming!

BEHIND THE BOOKS:
• Great resource pages are coming!

PROMOTE YOUR BOOK!
Advertise on BookTalk.org
How To Promote Your Book





BookTalk.org is a thriving book discussion forum, online reading group or book club. We read and talk about both fiction and non-fiction books as a community. Our forums are open to anyone in the world. While discussing books is our passion we also have active forums for talking about poetry, short stories, writing and authors. Our general discussion forum section includes forums for discussing science, religion, philosophy, politics, history, current events, arts, entertainment and more. We hope you join us!


Navigation 
MAIN NAVIGATION

HOMEFORUMSOUR BOOKSAUTHOR INTERVIEWSADVERTISELINKSFAQDONATETERMS OF USEPRIVACY POLICYSITEMAP

OTHER PAGES WORTH EXPLORING
Banned Book ListOnline Reading GroupTop 10 Atheism Books

Copyright © BookTalk.org 2002-2019. All rights reserved.
Display Pagerank