Online reading group and book discussion forum
  HOME ENTER FORUMS OUR BOOKS LINKS DONATE ADVERTISE CONTACT  
View unanswered posts | View active topics It is currently Fri Dec 13, 2019 4:06 am

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 29 posts ] • Topic evaluate: Evaluations: 0, 0.00 on the average.Evaluations: 0, 0.00 on the average.Evaluations: 0, 0.00 on the average.Evaluations: 0, 0.00 on the average.Evaluations: 0, 0.00 on the average.  Go to page 1, 2  Next
Guns, Germs, and Steel 
Years of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membership
Almost Comfortable

Post Guns, Germs, and Steel
(I reposted this on this part of the forums, thank you iluvbooksz13 for the sugestion)

Hello my fellow members of BookTalk. Let me start by introducing myself. My name is David, and I am a new member to BookTalk. The reason I joined is because i am take a rigorous social studies class (World History AP) and i thought maybe coming here would help me.

Guns, Germs, and Steel is a very good book but sadly, (at my level of education as a 9th grader) there are some parts in the book that i dont understand. I.E too complex.

There are a few questions about the book and i was wondering if i could get some answers.
----------------------------------------------------------------------

When comparing the United States and China, why do Diamond's theories not work? What takes account for the economic difference between these great nations?

The following user would like to thank SharcBate1 for this post:
Chris OConnor
Fri Aug 14, 2009 6:39 pm
Years of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membership
Book General

Silver Contributor

Post welcome
Welcome David!

There are many complex people here at BT, hopefully some will come to your aid.

I'm not familiar with the book you have mentioned, but there are many history buffs here.

Good luck to you

Fri Aug 14, 2009 7:38 pm
Years of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membership
BookTalk.org Hall of Fame

BookTalk.org Moderator
Gold Contributor

Sure bud, what are your questions? It's a very good book.

Fri Aug 14, 2009 10:26 pm
Almost Comfortable

Sure bud, what are your questions? It's a very good book.

When comparing the United States and China, why do Diamond's theories not work? What takes account for the economic difference between these great nations?

Fri Aug 14, 2009 10:29 pm
Years of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membership

BookTalk.org Moderator
Gold Contributor

Are you quoting the questions verbatim? You may have to expand on these a bit, it's been a while since I've read the book.

My first notion is that the cause and effect of global economics is so enormously complex that no single theory will account.

Sat Aug 15, 2009 1:43 pm
Almost Comfortable

I have a report due about the book right? So I have been searching through the book and i do not know the answer.

This is the question i have to answer:
When comparing the United States and China, why do Diamond's theories not work? What accounts for the economic difference between these great nations?

Im pretty sure the theories have to do with the answer to Yali's question.

Im looking through chapters 16 and 18. (Im sorry if the question is so broad) :s

Sat Aug 15, 2009 7:57 pm

BookTalk.org Moderator
Gold Contributor

I remember a good deal of the book, but that question seems to be the type where you need to have freshly read it. I'm not even sure what the difference between the American and Chinese economies is.

Sun Aug 16, 2009 1:20 am
Almost Comfortable

Alright ill see if i can find anything in the book

Sun Aug 16, 2009 10:51 am
Almost Comfortable

Well i was talking to my friend and the answer just dawned to me. The answer is not in the book but rather relates to comparing the United States and China today. One thing has to do with Government. Another is Religion

Sun Aug 16, 2009 6:41 pm
All Star Member

I'm sorry if I came into this late...but I looked up a brief synopsis of the book online and I think you are right in the fact that a communist outlook versus a capitalist outlook would produce very different tendancies and cultural norms for a group of people. Religion also could have a huge impact on how people think and react to situations. Asian people (and many other cultural groups) have a communal outlook and self sacrificing ideal whereas western culture idealizes individualism and competition. I think these things may have played a large part in the differences between resource production and wealth in US and China. These are just quick thoughts about your question, however, since I have not formally read the book. I think you are on the right track though with your paper, good luck!

The following user would like to thank poettess for this post:
Chris OConnor
Mon Aug 17, 2009 4:57 am
Profile Email
Book General

Silver Contributor

Post Guns
I think Poettes made a good point, China was very reluctant to follow in the foot steps of the Untied States and most of Europe as well. They did not want to give up their ideals or their culture. They were very wary of technology, and are still considered to be behind in regards to the United States, Europe and Japan.

If you are doing a research paper I would ask you teacher if you could do some research outside the book, since you are not finding the answers. I have done this several times, as long as the source is credible, no Wiki sources for instance. Even with essay questions, doing a bit of research shows the teacher you are interested in the subject, Google your question, and sees what comes up, or look into the archieves of the New York Times, or other newspapers.

Just make sure you ask your instructor, and make sure you cite your sources.

Mon Aug 17, 2009 7:42 am
Almost Comfortable

Yea these are very good answers. You two have very good points.

By the way, what was the reason that started the controversy or what not about why teachers cant teach the theory of evolution?

Tue Aug 18, 2009 8:07 am

Post Re: Guns, Germs, and Steel
SharcBate1 wrote:
My name is David

Hello, Simon

Sun Aug 23, 2009 10:12 pm
Years of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membership

Gold Contributor
Book Discussion Leader

Diamond's thesis in GGS is that strong links along latitude lines (east-west) are the base of imperial power. The USA has built very strong links from Europe across to the Pacific, enabling it to dominate the world. China, by contrast, was very self-contained and closed during its imperial days, meaning it was an easy victim for the western invaders. His thesis draws from the observation that plants and animals migrated easily along latitude lines in Eurasia, but could not migrate north-south in Africa or the Americas due to climate and disease, so the larger competitive gene pool of Eurasia easily beat Africa when they came into conflict.

The USA is an extension of the European dominance. The suggestion is that Asia will again dominate the world once China gets its act into gear. If Japan and Germany had allied to defeat Russia they could have won the second world war and dominated the world.

Sun Aug 23, 2009 11:08 pm
Profile Email WWW
Almost Comfortable

Post Re: Guns, Germs, and Steel
Ilovetoread1234 wrote:
SharcBate1 wrote:
My name is David

Hello, Simon

whoose simon?

Tue Aug 25, 2009 3:50 pm
Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 29 posts ] • Topic evaluate: Evaluations: 0, 0.00 on the average.Evaluations: 0, 0.00 on the average.Evaluations: 0, 0.00 on the average.Evaluations: 0, 0.00 on the average.Evaluations: 0, 0.00 on the average.  Go to page 1, 2  Next