Online reading group and book discussion forum
  HOME ENTER FORUMS OUR BOOKS LINKS DONATE ADVERTISE CONTACT  
View unanswered posts | View active topics It is currently Tue Oct 22, 2019 2:33 pm

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 13 posts ] • Topic evaluate: Evaluations: 0, 0.00 on the average.Evaluations: 0, 0.00 on the average.Evaluations: 0, 0.00 on the average.Evaluations: 0, 0.00 on the average.Evaluations: 0, 0.00 on the average. 
Grand Budapest Hotel 
Years of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membership
Knows the secrets of the internetz

Post Grand Budapest Hotel
Just watched this movie (on DVD, courtesy of my local library); :) Hard to believe it won four Academy Awards (though they were all of the technical variety). When I saw the cast, I was somewhat surprised at the actors in it (F. Murray Abraham, Jeff Goldblum, Bill Murray, Jude Law, etc.) :o Watching some of the scenes, I personally sub-titled it "Charlie Chaplin meets the Three Stooges, with an appearance by the Marx Brothers. :tease: Also glad I got it at the library (free) and didn't pay to watch it. :lol:

Anyone else have anything to say about it. :hmm:

Always listen to experts. They'll tell you what can't be done, and why. Then do it. -Robert A. Heinlein

Wed Mar 04, 2015 6:29 pm
Profile Email
Years of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membership
BookTalk.org Hall of Fame

Gold Contributor

Post Re: Grand Budapest Hotel
Yeah. I liked it.
Great dialogue.

It's better than most of the comedy of today that's mostly about adultolencents

Wed Mar 04, 2015 6:34 pm
Profile Email
Years of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membership
One with Books

Silver Contributor

loved it.

but obviously not everyones cup of tea.

viva la difference :)

Wed Mar 04, 2015 9:25 pm
Profile Email
Years of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membership
Genius

Silver Contributor

The deadpan lunacy of guests and staff plus the cultivated regard of the concierge's, just made me laugh. The simple, elegant and very serious nature of each person being in their proper place, made the grand scheme of the thing absurd, Its like each character is full of them selves, but all very resourceful, and codependent. It was slap stick Cattleman, it was also snobbish, self centered, and greedy, all the stuff, that makes great material for a proper lampoon. :wink: But like youkrst noted, "not everyone's cup of tea." :hmm:

Last edited by Taylor on Wed Mar 04, 2015 10:51 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Wed Mar 04, 2015 10:50 pm
Profile Email
Years of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membership
Knows the secrets of the internetz

Thanks to all who have responded so far; this was just what I was hoping for.
viva la difference indeed.

Always listen to experts. They'll tell you what can't be done, and why. Then do it. -Robert A. Heinlein

Thu Mar 05, 2015 8:53 am
Profile Email

Gold Contributor

William Defoe probably said two words in the entire movie.
It didn't matter. He was outstanding.

The following user would like to thank ant for this post:
youkrst
Thu Mar 05, 2015 11:13 am
Profile Email
One with Books

Silver Contributor

loved Willem Dafoe in "last temptation"

He and Harvey Kietel as JC and Judas just had me enjoying life.

and Bowie as Pilate, just awesome.

what a movie.

Thu Mar 05, 2015 8:09 pm
Profile Email
Years of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membership
Book Discussion Leader
BookTalk.org Moderator
Silver Contributor

I saw the movie in the theater and at first had a reaction like Cattleman's. I was trying to make sense of it all without success and getting frustrated, but eventually relaxed into it and enjoyed it. For example "OK now we're zooming down the snow covered side of a mountain for no reason whatsoever, but hey it's a fun ride."

Isaiah 1:15

But if there is serious injury, you are to take life for life, eye for eye, tooth for tooth, hand for hand, foot for foot, burn for burn, wound for wound, bruise for bruise.
Exodus 21: 23 - 25

Sat Mar 07, 2015 2:53 pm
Years of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membership
Atop the Piled Books

watched it. It was quite... hm... controversial for me. this movie is hard to call "a thing for everyone", it has its atmosphere... but i would not nominate it for Oscars))

tastes differ.

Tue May 19, 2015 8:46 am
Profile WWW

Gold Contributor

Lesley_Vos wrote:
watched it. It was quite... hm... controversial for me. this movie is hard to call "a thing for everyone", it has its atmosphere... but i would not nominate it for Oscars))

tastes differ.

What made it controversial?

Tue May 19, 2015 10:30 am
Profile Email
Years of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membership
Book General

Silver Contributor

I loved this movie. It was very slapstick, the characters were rich, especially the old lady. Once you got used to the wackiness and laughed a bit, the movie hits you with the serious and disturbing topic of WWII and the German SS. Even the violence had a feel of Chaplin, or Laurel and Hardy about it, although, it was a very serious movie, the characters were being beaten. The movie reminded me of the films, "The Magic Mountain", and "The Tin Drum", they are all about serious themes viewed from an original view.

The following user would like to thank Suzanne for this post:
Cattleman, youkrst
Tue May 19, 2015 9:54 pm
Years of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membership
Official Newbie!

I loved it!

Mon Jun 22, 2015 5:20 pm
Profile Email
Years of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membership

Platinum Contributor

i had your reaction, Cattleman, just puzzled by the movie, which seemed neither funny to me (after the initial quirkiness wore off) nor affecting at all emotionally. I had just endured horrible traffic in Washington DC to get to the theatre with some other people, and wonder if I was just drained by that experience. I almost never see any movie twice, even when I love it, so I guess I won't find out what a second chance would do for the film.

Mon Jun 22, 2015 6:33 pm
Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 13 posts ] • Topic evaluate: Evaluations: 0, 0.00 on the average.Evaluations: 0, 0.00 on the average.Evaluations: 0, 0.00 on the average.Evaluations: 0, 0.00 on the average.Evaluations: 0, 0.00 on the average.