• In total there are 0 users online :: 0 registered, 0 hidden and 0 guests (based on users active over the past 60 minutes)
    Most users ever online was 616 on Thu Jan 18, 2024 7:47 pm

God exists 'cause I say so! I don't care about facts.

A forum dedicated to friendly and civil conversations about domestic and global politics, history, and present-day events.
Forum rules
Do not promote books in this forum. Instead, promote your books in either Authors: Tell us about your FICTION book! or Authors: Tell us about your NON-FICTION book!.

All other Community Rules apply in this and all other forums.
Mr. P

1F - BRONZE CONTRIBUTOR
Has Plan to Save Books During Fire

God exists 'cause I say so! I don't care about facts.

Unread post

Cheney the DickQuote:WASHINGTON - Vice President Dick Cheney repeated his assertions of al-Qaida links to Saddam Hussein's Iraq on Thursday as the Defense Department released a report citing more evidence that the prewar government did not cooperate with the terrorist group.How do the people who voted for this disgustnig asshole and his pet Bush justify themselves? I mean...they are totally ignorant of facts and what our OWN government is saying, not to mention other governments, yet they assert, in true fundamentalist fashion, that what THEY say is true!And did'nt Cheney even say on a Tim Russert show (or some other news program) a few years ago that there was no ties?What a fucking retard...one heartbeat away...please!!!Mr. P. I'm not saying it's usual for people to do those things but I(with the permission of God) have raised a dog from the dead and healed many people from all sorts of ailments. - Asana Boditharta (former booktalk troll)The one thing of which I am positive is that there is much of which to be negative - Mr. P.What is all this shit about Angels? Have you heard this? 3 out of 4 people believe in Angels. Are you F****** STUPID? Has everybody lost their mind? - George CarlinI came to kick ass and chew Bubble Gum...and I am all out of Bubble Gum - They Live, Roddy PiperEdited by: misterpessimistic  at: 4/6/07 7:23 am
MadArchitect

1E - BANNED
The Pope of Literature

Re: God exists 'cause I say so! I don't care about facts.

Unread post

Ignorant? I doubt it. I think they maintain the truth of their claims because anything else would compromise their position. Whether or not they actually believe any of it is moot.
Mr. P

1F - BRONZE CONTRIBUTOR
Has Plan to Save Books During Fire

Unread post

Yes...on the upper levels of the system, I think there is a method to the madness...but the majority of voters I think had to be a bit ignorant, willful or not, to actually cast the votes.Mr. P. I'm not saying it's usual for people to do those things but I(with the permission of God) have raised a dog from the dead and healed many people from all sorts of ailments. - Asana Boditharta (former booktalk troll)The one thing of which I am positive is that there is much of which to be negative - Mr. P.What is all this shit about Angels? Have you heard this? 3 out of 4 people believe in Angels. Are you F****** STUPID? Has everybody lost their mind? - George CarlinI came to kick ass and chew Bubble Gum...and I am all out of Bubble Gum - They Live, Roddy Piper
MadArchitect

1E - BANNED
The Pope of Literature

Unread post

Beats me why voters voted the way they did. Twice. From talking to people, the best impression I got was that people voted from a very fragmentary sense of each candidate's personality. Kerry apparantly came off looking pretty stiff and not altogether on the level.
Rich206

1F - BRONZE CONTRIBUTOR
Finally Comfortable

Unread post

If you repeat something enough times from a position of authority people who want to believe it may come to accept it as fact. Consider the whole matter of WMDs. I watched a lot of cable news coverage during the invasion of Iraq. Several times during the war Fox News breathlessly reported that US troops might have found stockpiles of WMDs, only to later quietly retract the report. There were always careful to mention that the information was preliminary, but the reports were sometimes quite detailed, including a claim that US troops had found a camouflaged chemical weapons factory in the desert and captured an Iraqi military officer at the site.A study conducted before and after the war showed that Americans held a number of mistaken beliefs about the war and those beliefs were related to their level of support for the war, including 22% who believed weapons of mass destruction had been found, 48% who believed links between al Qaeda and Iraq had been found, and 25% who believed world opinion favored the US invasion. Fox was worst example of misinformation, but the other networks did not do a great job of informing their viewers either. A majority of viewers of all the major networks held at least one of those misperceptions. According to the study, print news fared slightly better, while PBS and NPR were notably better.Based strictly on my own observations, Bush was considerably more careful than Cheney in his public assertions about supposed links between al Qaeda and Saddam. He avoided saying it outright and instead encouraged people to remember 9/11 or something similar when speaking about the threat that Saddam supposedly posed. Cheney was much bolder, repeatedly mentioning the claim that Atta had met with Iraqi intelligence in Prague and saying things like, "We now know that Saddam has reconstituted his nuclear program." Considering how deeply vested Cheney was in the whole matter, it is no surprise that he continues to obfuscate the matter. When Bush came out and said that Saddam had nothing to do with 9/11, Cheney was in a tough spot and admitted on Meet the Press, "We've never been able to confirm any connection between Iraq and 9/11." Note that he did not say there was no connection, merely that there was a lack of confirmation of such a connection. I don't know if he would have gone even that far if Bush hadn't flatly contradicted him. Junk Drawer

Return to “Current Events & History”