• In total there are 45 users online :: 0 registered, 0 hidden and 45 guests (based on users active over the past 60 minutes)
    Most users ever online was 871 on Fri Apr 19, 2024 12:00 am

Getting the hang of this!

The perfect space for valuable discussions that may not neatly fit within the other forums.
Forum rules
Do not promote books in this forum. Instead, promote your books in either Authors: Tell us about your FICTION book! or Authors: Tell us about your NON-FICTION book!.

All other Community Rules apply in this and all other forums.
Emma Clark Lam
Getting Comfortable

Getting the hang of this!

Unread post

Hello! My name is Emma Clark Lam and I have joined Booktalk to engage with other bookish types and learn about online forums. I am a journalist, author and a book lover! I would like to hear about recommendations and reviews, and discuss my favourite books. I studied English literature at university so I love the classics - Jane Austen, George Eliot etc but I like modern fiction too. Particular favourites are Ian McEwan, Khaled Hosseini and Maggie O'Farrell. I am also a technophile - I love my Kindle and my ipad and am very excited about the ebook revolution. In my spare time, I write a blog, which features reviews of the books I have been reading.

I will spend the next few weeks learning to navigate around the site. If anyone has any tips or favoured threads, let me know!

Thanks x
Emma Clark Lam
Blogger and author of Kindle book, A Sister for Margot
"Such an enjoyable read and the quality of the writing was what made it so. I could not put it down..." - Amazon review

Emma's blog
Kevin
Pulitzer Prize Finalist

Re: Getting the hang of this!

Unread post

Hello and welcome. I will check out your blog. I've been thinking recently of getting a kindle or kindle-type reader. My eyesight isn't what it used to be and I keep losing my glasses. It sounds funny, to me, but it's true.
The question is not, Can they reason? nor, Can they talk? but, Can they suffer? - Jeremy Bentham
Emma Clark Lam
Getting Comfortable

Unread post

Ah well, a Kindle might be just what you need as you can play about with the font size. My mother-in-law is short-sighted and she finds it easier to read some texts on her Kindle than in a physical book.
Last edited by Emma Clark Lam on Wed Mar 20, 2013 4:52 am, edited 1 time in total.
Emma Clark Lam
"Such an enjoyable read and the quality of the writing was what made it so. I could not put it down..." - Amazon review

Emma's blog
youkrst

1F - BRONZE CONTRIBUTOR
One with Books

Unread post

engage pinch to zoom! :D double tap, maximise text area :lol:

damn! still need my wife's glasses 8)

oh, and on behalf of me, welcome Emma. :)
Kevin
Pulitzer Prize Finalist

Unread post

(Anna Karenina spoiler below)

Having recently read Anna Karenina the 'Life Coach' entry on your blog caught my eye. I don't see how it could have ended markedly better for Anna considering that the desire for self-improvement was directly and so very obviously at odds with a society denying the measure it considered indulgence. Anna's self-improvement was to be confined to literature. And as with Tolstoy himself, it wasn't enough! Having just argued that the ending was preordaned I do recall now how it surprised me that she did die... I think the tragedy was unavoidable though the death itself might have been prevented. Ah well...
The question is not, Can they reason? nor, Can they talk? but, Can they suffer? - Jeremy Bentham
Emma Clark Lam
Getting Comfortable

Unread post

(More Anna Karenina spoiler below)

The most poignant bit was her moment of regret as she fell onto the tracks - I thought that was very human. I think I was being a little facetious when I said AK's death might have been avoided with the help of a life coach! In any kind of modern context, we would have to hope that she wouldn't have been driven to such an end.
Emma Clark Lam

Emma's blog
Chris OConnor

1A - OWNER
BookTalk.org Hall of Fame
United States of America

Unread post

I love being able to increase the font size on my Kindle. My wife laughs at how large I like the font but I'd rather read with the font large than have to wear my reading glasses when reading in bed. Get a Kindle, Kevin! You'll become addicted. ;-)
Emma Clark Lam
Getting Comfortable

Unread post

And just think of all the free books you could download - all those classics with no copyright! War and Peace, perhaps?!
Emma Clark Lam

Emma's blog
Kevin
Pulitzer Prize Finalist

Unread post

Emma Clark Lam wrote:(More Anna Karenina spoiler below)
I think I was being a little facetious when I said AK's death might have been avoided with the help of a life coach!
Oh that's funny. The Life Coach idea struck me as being quite profound. I imagined Tolstoy penning in such a character! I'm half thinking of testing out the market if my current job doesn't pan out.

And I think I will get a Kindle.
Emma Clark Lam
Getting Comfortable

Unread post

Let me know how you get on with the Kindle. I am interested in everyone's reader experience (particularly as I write my books for the Kindle platform).
Emma Clark Lam

Emma's blog

Return to “Everything Else”