• In total there are 0 users online :: 0 registered, 0 hidden and 0 guests (based on users active over the past 60 minutes)
    Most users ever online was 616 on Thu Jan 18, 2024 7:47 pm

Getting professional reviews - does it help when trying to sell a new book?

A forum for authors, as well as aspiring authors, to connect, network, and converse about all facets of writing, publishing, and promotion.
Forum rules
Do not promote books in this forum. Instead, promote your books in either Authors: Tell us about your FICTION book! or Authors: Tell us about your NON-FICTION book!.

All other Community Rules apply in this and all other forums.
Kim Edwards
Official Newbie!

Getting professional reviews - does it help when trying to sell a new book?

Unread post

Hello all,

I found this site while trying to help a friend promote his book for Amazon: http://reviews-easy.com/ It's a big database where you can find the highest rated reviewers on Amazon (of course for many domains, but you can find also book reviewers). From what I've seen on similar sites this type of service is quite expensive (on this site it's for free), to find professional reviewers to endorse your work, but seems somehow necessary when you are not a social media guru, no one has heard of you and has no good reason to buy your book :-)

Have you ever tried tried something like this?
KentC
Getting Comfortable

Re: Getting professional reviews - does it help when trying to sell a new book?

Unread post

I wouldn't pay for reviews, and it might get you in trouble later (although some big names do it too...), but that site looks interesting so I might try it.

Reviews are surely important and you need lots of them. A top reviewer gave my story 5 stars but exactly zero people have still bought it since then... Even bad reviews are probably useful, since if you look at some books which have low grades, people still read them to see if they are as bad as everyone thinks.
janny
Getting Comfortable

Unread post

Really, it all depends on the audience you're catering it to. Reviews are good for a book, however the impact varies.
Janny > Love books, Coldplay and my second half Henry Ford - my beautiful Berner sennen
Proud member of the Swedish book club Cordia.
rchapman1tewantin
All Star Member
Australia

Unread post

You can offer an ebook for free in exchange for a review - doesn't always work but it helps.
Rita Lee Chapman
Author of the Anna Davies Mystery Series
Winston - A Horse's Tale
Dangerous Liaisons,
The Poinciana Tree
The Unicorn Angel
My Very Naughty Pony
Kim Edwards
Official Newbie!

Unread post

One reader and one review doesn't make much of a difference, that's why sites like http://reviews-easy.com/ exist, to reach more then one reviewer. I am not comfortable either with paying big sums of money, but this one is apparently only asking for donations. It looks appealing to me, i think i might give it a try :-)
GalaxyZento
Master Debater

Unread post

Reviews are nice, but I wouldn't pay for them. Makes it look like you paid for a good review and that could bite you in the butt later. Just do what you do, and do it well. It's fine to ask for reader reviews and sometimes people will even do it. Always be gracious and thankful for good reviews and never respond to negative ones.
Kim Edwards
Official Newbie!

Unread post

Just a short remark, you're not paying the reviewer, you are paying a site to offer you contacts, e-mail addresses of these reviewers that you will later on contact on your own and based on your work you will or will not receive a review. As i have said before, this site i am talking about is not even asking you to pay them, they're asking for a donation, at most. You can search for a domain your interested in, like books, and you can download for free a list of names and contacts of the top Amazon book reviewers. If you manage to convince them to review your book, that's just your job :)
GalaxyZento
Master Debater

Unread post

That's very interesting. I did a giveaway and hope that some of those who claimed their copies of my work will come back and give input. I have 2 whole 4 star reviews so far! Yay me!
rchapman1tewantin
All Star Member
Australia

Unread post

Well done, GalaxyZento - that's a good start.
Rita Lee Chapman
Author of the Anna Davies Mystery Series
Winston - A Horse's Tale
Dangerous Liaisons,
The Poinciana Tree
The Unicorn Angel
My Very Naughty Pony

Return to “Author's Lounge”