• In total there are 0 users online :: 0 registered, 0 hidden and 0 guests (based on users active over the past 60 minutes)
    Most users ever online was 616 on Thu Jan 18, 2024 7:47 pm

Getting a Louder Voice!!!

A forum dedicated to friendly and civil conversations about domestic and global politics, history, and present-day events.
Forum rules
Do not promote books in this forum. Instead, promote your books in either Authors: Tell us about your FICTION book! or Authors: Tell us about your NON-FICTION book!.

All other Community Rules apply in this and all other forums.
Tim Nonzero

Getting a Louder Voice!!!

Unread post

There seems to be allot of anti-Iraq, anti-Bush/Blair sentiment on the boards. I was wondering if any of you are active in promoting/actualising your beliefs? Personally I'm getting sick of going no further than shouting at the TV and regularly defacing pictures of assholes in the papers. Too many times I've had to stomach the drivel of politicians spinning fundamental issues out of recognition, all in the name of 'selling' their own sinister agendas to an acquiescent, tired public. Its outrageous! I'm a passionate believer in the concept of Democracy; most of us here are, but I've come to realise that the way modern politics gets played out is starkly un-democratic and coercive, as opposed to the principled, reasoned way it should be (as according to the west's own moral standards). The way I see it is that 'amoral' Corporations and their neo-aristocracy have become dangerously intertwined with State.Now at 25, I was too young for Nam, Korea, the Falklands, and was too young and naive to comprehend the complexities and hidden atrocities behind the Cold War and the first Gulf war. Well, now I'm now a working, tax paying citizen capable of objectivity, I feel deeply insulted that further atrocities have been perpetrated in my name... even in spite of a majority against war and UN condemnation (which is a very big issue). Thereby its come to the point where I'm looking for the best way I can put this disgust into action.Tim
Mr. P

1F - BRONZE CONTRIBUTOR
Has Plan to Save Books During Fire

Re: Getting a Louder Voice!!!

Unread post

I do what I can...voting being one. But I started my website and cartoons to disseminate my views and commentary. It is small but all I can really do with the time alotted to me.Most of us are so caught up in everyday life that we either:A) Cannot devote time to activism or direct participation (this leads to just 'shouting at the TV...' as you mention).B) Are not able to study at length all the malarky that is our system and actual laws. There are so many things in a single bill that saying that 'such and such' voted against the war in Iraq (or any other example) may not be the actual truth. Some bills can have a face that seems good, but the footnotes spell something else entirely.C) Are just not swift enough to understand what the spinsters are doing. So many people, due to the examples above, are just not able, willing or capable enough to understand what the heck is going on!And that is the way the politicos like it. Dumb down the masses. Why on earth would Bush or anyone else be AGAINST intellectuals and higher education? Because then people would be able to see through the thin veil of deciet and thus the careers of these manipulators would be over!Mr. P.www.mrpessimistic.comMy small attempt to reach out and make a difference. The one thing of which I am positive is that there is much of which to be negative - Mr. P.I came to get down, I came to get down. So get out ya seat and jump around - House of PainHEY! Is that a ball in your court? - Mr. P
Tim Nonzero

Unread post

In England our government is about to force through a controversial bill that outlaws hunting with dogs. I have cynical feeling that it might be an attempt by the Government to drown out and distract bigger issues, just as Bush plays his Gay marriage cards when times get tough. Anyway the pro-hunting community are obviously livid about this and have been launching vicious and well orchestrated attacks, including an audacious storming of the houses of parliament. All this because some toffs enjoy torturing innocent creatures! Nevertheless, I was impressed at their fervency and couldn't help feeling disappointed that we anti-war bods - with equally strong resolve - aren't enacting similar pressures upon our 'leaders'. As you say; perhaps if the general public were to fully digest how our governments are currently toying with and slinking through humanitarian values, there would be more such anger and action. But as the world stage descends further into a security crisis despite the wild optimistic glaze the politicians vomit over the state of affairs... there is less and less to digest. And as the weeks go by and no WMD turn up, more hostages get beheaded, more car bombs go off, more innocents are slaughtered in reckless bombing raids, more troops die, as the hushed issue of Depleted Uranium is recognized as a war-crime, as insurgents flock to Iraq from the world over, and as deluded western hatred reaches fever pitch... we will know who is accountable! They've gone too far, surly? Cheers for the site Mr P, the toons were great. Pleased to see you do your bit. Still, I want to get my ass out in the fresh air at the gates of Downing Street! Tim
Tim Nonzero

Unread post

I'd like to see Amnesty International and other such groups get more scathing of our leaders. Plainly, the decisions of our ruling factions have directly created human rights disasters, and they should be put on trial for those crimes. I wish the UN had the punch to act as a world moderator... in times when America is so mighty and its actions greatly effect the stability of the world, it needs supervision from a higher authority that takes into account the (un-bought) feelings and predicament of the rest of the world. But Bush toys with the UN like a rag doll... one minute he's using Saddam's alleged failure to comply with UN sanctions (in the case of WMD) to justify war with Iraq, but then when the UN' itself' refuses to endorse such a war, bush attacks anyway... blatant double standards which point to a real disregard of the UN. Kofi Annan has since repeated that the war was illegal, which has been quietly overlooked by our leaders. I repeat: Bush and Blair should be up in a Tribunal now. People need to get wise and push it through.
Chris OConnor

1A - OWNER
BookTalk.org Hall of Fame
United States of America

Unread post

TimI think the UN has been shown to be an obsolete and corrupt organization. While I agree with the theory of an international governing body, the UN doesn't appear to be capable of even managing a food distribution program.NickYou hit the nail on the head with your bullet points about how and why most people are completely ignorant of the facts behind most political issues. It has become purposely confusing and time consuming to learn everything necessary to understand these subjects.Watch Fox News and get the conservative perspective. Watch one of the other networks and get the liberal perspective. Watch all of them and really do your homework...and lose your job because you're exhausted and can't keep up at work. And yes, I'm aware that the TV sources are such a small slice of the pie. To really understand whats going on in the political world you need to have dozens of sources and spend massive amounts of time. It's a daunting task that almost nobody can afford to tackle.Chris "Education is the most powerful weapon which you can use to change the world." - Nelson MandellaEdited by: Chris OConnor  at: 9/28/04 8:39 am
Dissident Heart

1F - BRONZE CONTRIBUTOR
I dumpster dive for books!

One approach....

Unread post

A Personal Message From Noam Chomsky We live in an era of media concentration, vast efforts on many fronts (political, economic, military, ideological) to insulate state and private power from critical discussion or even popular awareness, and to reduce citizens to isolated atomized creatures restricted to satisfying personal 'created wants.' This massive and coordinated campaign has been partially successful, but only in a limited way. The range and scope and dedication of popular activism has also increased, all over the world, reaching a level of international solidarity and mutual support that has never been seen before. The basic conflicts are very old, but they have taken quite dramatic and significant new forms, and the stakes are far higher than ever before. It is, regrettably, no exaggeration to say that the survival of the species is at risk -- and many others with it. We all know why.The popular movements are the hope for a decent future. They of course have to have access to information and modes of interaction. In addition to alternative print and video, to a very large extent they have relied on the internet, which allows people to escape from the constraints of the doctrinal systems, to explore and investigate and discuss crucial issues with one another, to plan and organize. Z and ZNet have played a crucial role in serving all of these functions. I see that every day. I travel and speak constantly, in the U.S. and abroad, and spend many hours a day just responding to inquiries and comments. I constantly discover that the people and organizations I come in contact with are relying very substantially on Z projects for information, discussion, and opportunities for interaction and organizing, to an extent that is quite remarkable. It also is an invaluable resource for me personally, in all of these respects, and also in my case for providing a forum for intense and very constructive discussion, the only one I regularly participate in. And for posting articles, interviews, commentaries, etc., of mine. I know that many others have very much the same experience.It is of inestimable importance, in my judgment, that Z and ZNet continue to flourish and expand, not to mention their growing video efforts and incomparable media school, arguably the most exciting and instructive I have ever encountered. Again, I do not think it is possible to exaggerate the stakes. I hope that all of us who are committed to resisting and reversing the powerful currents of reaction and oppression and violence, and showing that another world is indeed possible, will contribute as best we can to ensure that the remarkable achievements of Z and ZNet will be carried forward.Noam ChomskyU.S.http://www.zmag.org/weluser.htm Edited by: Dissident Heart at: 9/28/04 10:25 am
Dissident Heart

1F - BRONZE CONTRIBUTOR
I dumpster dive for books!

50 Ways to Love Your Country

Unread post

MoveOn's 50 Ways to Love Your CountryHow to Find Your Political Voice and Become a Catalyst for Change I. The Power of ConnectingCreate an Effective Online PetitionSpread the Word about Online PetitionsSign a PetitionShare Informed Political RecommendationsSpeak Out OnlineEmail the President (and Other Politicans)Meet with your RepresentativesII. Every Vote CountsVote, No Matter WhatMobilize Underrepresented VotersRegister Voters in Unlikely PlacesOrganize an Issue-Specific Voter Registration DriveGet Your Office to VoteMaximize the Vote on Election DayMake a Personal Request to NonvotersParticipate in a Phone BankIII. The Many Faces of the MediaRead More, Watch TV News LessWrite a Letter to the EditorRespond to Biased ReportingAlert the Media to Uncovered EventsPlace an AdReform the MediaMake Your Own MediaWrite an Op-Ed PieceStart a Political Book ClubMoveOn's Suggested Media SourcesIV: Political Action is PersonalWrite Letters to Congress That WorkTalk to the Officials You Didn't ElectSupport Clean ElectionsVolunteer for CampaignsHelp Run a CampaignHit the Streets for your CandidateRun for Office to Challenge IncumbentsDonate MoneyHost a House PartyPetition EffectivelyAttend a MeetupServe as an Elected OfficialAct Outside the Box Serve Your CommunityDefy City HallRespond Locally to National IssuesAttend a RallyInstigate Protective LawsInitiate a Constitutional AmendmentGet a Socially Responsible Day JobTake Action with Your FamilyHost a Political SalonLet Your Money SpeakHelp Others Express Their Political ViewsExpress Your Views through ArtAdvertise Your Political Vision
Tim Nonzero

Re: 50 Ways to Love Your Country

Unread post

A friend sent me this Guardian article about the right's domination of the American media and how the left or 'liberals' are trying to claw back some coverage. Judging by that Chris, the press is highly weighted to the right. With our more neutral press its (slightly) easier for we Brits to get a clearer picture I think. Anyway see what you think... www.guardian.co.uk/uselec...58,00.htmlAnd Chris, you say that it takes allot of time to take on board the political situation, which it does in many respects, but in the case of the war on Iraq it takes relatively little thought to understand that it stinks logically and morally. Dissident, thanks for the '50 ways to love your country'... I'm going to print it out and start ticking them off
Chris OConnor

1A - OWNER
BookTalk.org Hall of Fame
United States of America

Re: 50 Ways to Love Your Country

Unread post

TimI've never heard the argument that the American media is controlled or heavily influenced by the right. Quite the contrary, it seems to be widely accepted that our media is extremely biased towards the left. I'll read the article you've provided.Chris "Education is the most powerful weapon which you can use to change the world." - Nelson Mandella

Return to “Current Events & History”