• In total there is 1 user online :: 0 registered, 0 hidden and 1 guest (based on users active over the past 60 minutes)
    Most users ever online was 616 on Thu Jan 18, 2024 7:47 pm

Genetic Modification

Engage in discussions encompassing themes like cosmology, human evolution, genetic engineering, earth science, climate change, artificial intelligence, psychology, and beyond in this forum.
Forum rules
Do not promote books in this forum. Instead, promote your books in either Authors: Tell us about your FICTION book! or Authors: Tell us about your NON-FICTION book!.

All other Community Rules apply in this and all other forums.
Doc Tiessen

Genetic Modification

Unread post

Until yet I have not seen any discussion going on on genetically modified organisms.I wonder what is the opinion of the others.How do you feel about genetic modification of plants for making novel crops?What is your opinion on GMOs?Results (total votes = 11):GMO's are ok to me&nbsp2 / 18.2%&nbsp GMO's are bad to me&nbsp1 / 9.1%&nbsp GMO's are sometimes ok and other times not.&nbsp8 / 72.7%&nbsp I don not care. Not interested.&nbsp0 / 0.0%&nbspI know nothing about. GM what?&nbsp0 / 0.0%&nbsp Diversity is Good!
RickU

Re: Genetic Modification

Unread post

As with most things. It's not black and white. We shouldn't balk at GM's just for the sake of balking, but it is something that we should take enormous amounts of care while doing it. In Vino Veritas
Chris OConnor

1A - OWNER
BookTalk.org Hall of Fame
United States of America

Unread post

Good answer Rick...I just watched an episode of Penn & Teller's "Bullshit," which focused on Genetically Modified foods. While I'm no authority on the subject, the show sure made me think about the subject critically. Genetically Modified crops have the ability to feed the starving people of this world efficiently and effectively. I'm for exploring this avenue while remaining cautious about any long-term risks.Chris "Education is the most powerful weapon which you can use to change the world." - Nelson Mandella
Interbane

2B - MOD & SILVER
BookTalk.org Hall of Fame
United States of America

Unread post

Like DARPA trying to combine the hunting abilities of a tiger, the armor plating of a suped up armadillo, and the mindless rage of a wolverine. Then taking that mixture and mass producing thousands of them at the size of an elephant and releasing them with a genetically modified hatred of Osama Bin Laden in Afghanistan.
Doc Tiessen

Unread post

Interbane:Is that your view of genetic modification? My view is quite different.. Get an illiterate that has hardly read any book... mix it with an alcoholic youngster... mix it with a cowboy that has never travelled beyond his ranch... blend it with a colorblind person that sees only black and white... add some drops of religious fanatism... and some mass media control... a panic maker...and a bit of genetic modification.... and guess what you get? A president. Diversity is Good!
ADO15

Unread post

GM has the POTENTIAL to alleviate world hunger, but the actual application is aimed at maximising profits for corporations.Currently, farmers use a little of the grain they grow to sow the next year's crop. With the GM contract, this is illegal. They must buy new seed each year, so extra cost and complete reliance.Currently, farmers can choose which fertilisers & pesticides to use and when. Now, the contract specifies they must buy from the seed supplier a certain amount, and they sign an agreement as to when they spray. Extra cost again.The farmer is not now allowed to interplant, or use any other seed near to the crop, so biodiversity, and wild animal & plantlife is drstically affected. Hve you ever seen a GM field? It is completely bare and dead apart from the crop.So it goes on, but the most incredible part of this is that US corporations are taking common ownership items that have been bred & hybridised for years, such as Basmati Rice, and patenting them for private profit - one of the largest thefts in history. _________________________________________________________'Where art thou, beloved Tomorrow?When young and old, and strong and weak,Rich and poor, through joy & sorrow,Thy sweet smiles we ever seek - In thy place We find the thing we fled - Today'P B Shelley
Doc Tiessen

Unread post

ADO,you are right. The theory is nice, but at the end, the practise is looking quite different. Corporations adopted that technology because it promised profits. They have filed patents with the intention of making money. However, one can hardly blame companies for trying to make money. That is their purpose. But then I ask you... are you not against capitalism or against patents... and not so much against genetic modification per se...Or asked in another way... if genetic modification would not be linked to profit or companies... would you then accept GM? Diversity is Good!

Return to “Science & Technology”