• In total there are 0 users online :: 0 registered, 0 hidden and 0 guests (based on users active over the past 60 minutes)
    Most users ever online was 616 on Thu Jan 18, 2024 7:47 pm

For those that can handle watching someone die...

A forum dedicated to friendly and civil conversations about domestic and global politics, history, and present-day events.
Forum rules
Do not promote books in this forum. Instead, promote your books in either Authors: Tell us about your FICTION book! or Authors: Tell us about your NON-FICTION book!.

All other Community Rules apply in this and all other forums.
Chris OConnor

1A - OWNER
BookTalk.org Hall of Fame
United States of America

For those that can handle watching someone die...

Unread post

This is a brief videotape of US soldiers killing a wounded Iraqi man and laughing and cheering afterwards. Don't click on this link if you don't want to see it, as the video starts immediately. War brings out the worst in people. Any comments?Don't click unless you can handle itChris "The man who does not read good books has no advantage over the man who cannot read them"
fpla83

Re: For those that can handle watching someone die...

Unread post

War does not bring out the worst in people, war IS the worst in people. It is in us all to some degree or another. Not a very nice thought but it is so. Look carefully and you'll see a war many times today. It is a horrible tragedy. It is not the life of another which is taken but the life of he who takes it. *Please do not take this as a message of support for the act portrayed in this clip. Take it as my own insight.
Medway53

Why!

Unread post

I won't watch the video. MAybe I should, in order to complete my disgust with the behavior of the allied soldiers in Iraq. When I was growing up, it was the Germans and JApanese who had this reputation as brutal and inhumane killers. The Americans and British were regarded as just and courageous. Why are we in Iraq? To defend justice, democracy and human rights? Can we ever use those words with a straight face again?Satz.
Timothy Schoonover

Unread post

I am ashamed that those of you who supported the war and yet defend it to this day are Americans. You are ignorant and blind and know nothing of what it means to be free. You are undeserving of the freedom that you enjoy...such as it is. The video is symptomatic of the mentality which led us into war. It is murderous and disgusting and it is not even half as horrible as the video dipicting an apache helicopter methodically machine-gunning a group of unarmed and lightly armed Iraqi's as they are cut down while desperately trying to surrender or crawl helplessly away. Ya lets shoot the guy again as he drags his wounded and mutilated body along the ground..."THAT WAS AWESOME! IT MAKES YOU WANT TO DO IT AGAIN!"MENE MENE TEKEL UPHARSIN
ZachSylvanus
Agrees that Reading is Fundamental

Unread post

Er...the apache video was taking out insurgents in a remote area setting up anti-aircraft weaponry, Tim...Just because they couldn't fight back doesn't make them the good guys--I didn't see them attempt surrender, although they did try to run. What would you honestly prefer? Killing a severely wounded man, or letting him slowly bleed to death in extreme pain in the scrub?
scrumfish
Sophomore
United States of America

Unread post

I meant to throw this out quite awhile ago, but didn't get around to it till now.Didn't anyone else notice that the video was cut before the kid said the let's do it again part? He wasn't even talking about the shooting of the man that was shown, but the way the video is cut it is made to appear that way. Below it is what seems to me to be scraps of a transcript. This is what is there:Quote: CROWLEY: When the battle is over and you are still standing, the adrenalin rush is huge. RIDDLE: I mean, afterwards you're like, hell, yeah, that was awesome. Let's do it again.I'm not even sure they got who said what correct.
Tim Nonzero

Re: winning hearts and minds?

Unread post

I didn't watch the clip you posted Chris because I feared it would haunt me as other such clips have done in the past. I thought I'd post this clip instead: it shows an abuse of a different kind; still perpetrated by American soldiers in Iraq I'm afraid. Please ignore the 'funny videos' title because this video is anything but funny... rather it points toward the loutish bravado and bullying that contaminate the military and the non-thinking public. Imagine this got on the national news! And why hasn't it??? This does not win hearts or minds...www.killsometime.com/Vide...=Dont-LootUse sound to fully comprehend the situation.

Return to “Current Events & History”