Online reading group and book discussion forum
  HOME ENTER FORUMS OUR BOOKS LINKS DONATE ADVERTISE CONTACT  
View unanswered posts | View active topics It is currently Sun Aug 18, 2019 10:40 am

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 22 posts ] • Topic evaluate: Evaluations: 0, 0.00 on the average.Evaluations: 0, 0.00 on the average.Evaluations: 0, 0.00 on the average.Evaluations: 0, 0.00 on the average.Evaluations: 0, 0.00 on the average.  Go to page 1, 2  Next
Finally got myself a Kindle 
Years of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membership
Book Aficionado

BookTalk.org Moderator
Silver Contributor 2

Post Finally got myself a Kindle
I've used ebooks for a while with an iPad, not really the ideal reader, decided to finally pick up a Kindle Paperwhite (Black Friday sale). Don't have it yet, but I'm excited, hopefully it will lead to more reading

What are you guys using?

Fri Nov 27, 2015 11:43 am
Profile Email
Years of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membership
Book Discussion Leader
BookTalk.org Moderator
Silver Contributor

Post Re: Finally got myself a Kindle
I have a Kindle Fire, which has a shiny screen like the I-Pad. My wife has a Fire and a Paperwhite. The latter has a more natural "paper" appearance, but both are fine with me. Suggest trying a stylus rather than gunking up the screen with fingerprints, there are several types. In any case, it's kinda cool to think of a book and start reading it 5 minutes later...

Fri Nov 27, 2015 7:13 pm
Years of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membership
So many e-books my reader is overweight!

Silver Contributor

I am dreaming of the Kindle voyage currently. I love my paperwhite for so many reasons, but I want to have the page turn buttons for winter reading. Having those buttons will make it easier when you are all snuggled up and want to turn the page but don't wish move a hand from under the covers to do it.

"Eventually, all things merge into one, and a river runs through it. The river was cut by the world's great flood and runs over rocks from the basement of time. On some of the rocks are timeless raindrops. Under the rocks are the words, and some of the words are theirs.
I am haunted by waters.”

Fri Nov 27, 2015 7:41 pm
Profile Email
Years of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membership
Book Aficionado

BookTalk.org Moderator
Silver Contributor 2

I was eyeing the Voyage as well, I wanted to go all in and get the top of the line, but since it hasn't been updated in a while, and the Paperwhite now has the same screen resolution at half the price, I thought that was the way to go.

I could always sell it later if the Voyage has a really compelling upgrade when the next generation e-ink screens come out.

LanDroid, I hadn't considered a stylus, I'm guessing it's pretty rare for people to use one on Kindle.

Fri Nov 27, 2015 7:48 pm
Profile Email

Silver Contributor

You will need to be careful choosing your stylus. The one I love for my kindle fire, doesn't seem to be as useful for my paperwhite. You can buy screen covers for them too, but I usually use my fingers and don't have a problem.

"Eventually, all things merge into one, and a river runs through it. The river was cut by the world's great flood and runs over rocks from the basement of time. On some of the rocks are timeless raindrops. Under the rocks are the words, and some of the words are theirs.
I am haunted by waters.”

Fri Nov 27, 2015 8:26 pm
Profile Email

Silver Contributor

You will need to be careful choosing your stylus. The one I love for my kindle fire, doesn't seem to be as useful for my paperwhite. You can buy screen covers for them too, but I usually use my fingers and don't have a problem. I will probably stick with my paperwhite unless they come down on voyages price.

I am haunted by waters.”

Fri Nov 27, 2015 8:29 pm
Profile Email
Years of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membership
pets endangered by possible book avalanche

BookTalk.org Moderator
Platinum Contributor

My wife and I both have Paperwhites and we both like them a lot. You don't realize you're reading on an e-device at all. You quickly lose yourself in the reading experience. However, I still read real books too and generally prefer them. There are pros and cons, of course. But when you read an e-book you typically don't have a really good idea where you are in the book. Or rather I miss being able to flip back and forth within a book. And it's cumbersome to, for example, look back to find when a character first appears in the book. But the Kindle is certainly very handy to read at night and to bring on planes, etc.

By the way, I have my Paperwhite set to Caecilia font using the size in the middle.

The following user would like to thank geo for this post:
froglipz
Fri Nov 27, 2015 8:31 pm

Silver Contributor

I use Cecilia condensed font on the fourth lowest setting. I don't need my glasses then, which is convenient when reading before bed. I've been playing with the lighting on my paperwhite recently, I prefer it a bit brighter than what they recommend for a dark room, but not neon bright.

I am haunted by waters.”

Fri Nov 27, 2015 9:12 pm
Profile Email
BookTalk.org Hall of Fame

Gold Contributor

There was some study that concluded reading retention is not as good.
It has to do with the landscape difference.
I have found that to be true to a degree.

Sun Nov 29, 2015 9:59 pm
Profile Email
Years of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membership
Better Thread Count than Your Best Linens

Gold Contributor

I love my paperwhite but also would like a less cumbersome way to shuffle back and forth. I would suggest a slide bar that shows approximately where you are, and you can slide it back and forth a bit. Knowing that I am at location 1287 does nothing for me since I am fairly close to the beginning of the book, so it doesn't translate to pages, which while they are not standardized and vary widely based on paper size, print size, line spacing, can be sort of translated from one book to another.

But you can't beat them for being able to carry around 20 books at a time and for getting a new one anytime you are within range of wireless. You can also "borrow" ebooks now from the library, which is great for those books you want to read before committing to them.

"I'm not insane, my mother had me tested"

Si vis pacem, para bellum: If you wish for peace, prepare for war.

Sun Feb 28, 2016 8:08 pm
Profile Email
Book Aficionado

BookTalk.org Moderator
Silver Contributor 2

The newer paperwhite has that slide bar feature.

Of course it's not as easy to flip through as with a physical book, but it's a nice feature.

http://www.dummies.com/how-to/content/n ... rwhit.html

The following user would like to thank Dexter for this post:
froglipz
Sun Feb 28, 2016 8:53 pm
Profile Email

Silver Contributor

When did you actually get it? Both my paperwhite and my voyage got update by Amazon today. Before you get to used to its current format, you might as well get the new one

I am haunted by waters.”

Sun Feb 28, 2016 9:02 pm
Profile Email

Silver Contributor

Another thing get your library card out, and go to overdrive.com. If your library participates, and most do. You will be able to check out library books on it too

I am haunted by waters.”

The following user would like to thank CoolSummer for this post:
froglipz
Sun Feb 28, 2016 9:05 pm
Profile Email
Years of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membership
Better Thread Count than Your Best Linens

Gold Contributor

I have had it since September. I just got the update yesterday, I have been bouncing back and forth between paper books and the Paperwhite, so I am not sure exactly when the update came through. I will have to look for that. When I was going through "Soul Identity" to try to come up with talking points for each chapter, I had to book mark every chapter so that I could move through them. Hopefully that update helps. Another thing that I love about my Kindle is that I can "pick up" the book on my cell phone or laptop and it knows where I left off, so if I don't happen to have my Kindle, or it is charging, or I forgot it, I can keep reading.

There are a lot of free books as well, older books that no longer are under copyright, and such that you can still get through Amazon. I wish they listed the free books separately, but I suppose I get why they don't. I needed a copy of Plato's "Republic" for school. It was the first time I ran into issues with the pages, when the professor said read pages 1-23, I wasn't sure where to stop.

"I'm not insane, my mother had me tested"

Si vis pacem, para bellum: If you wish for peace, prepare for war.

Mon Feb 29, 2016 2:33 pm
Profile Email

Silver Contributor

I know the update helped with the page issues, now if you bring up the toolbar at the top while inside a book.you get a bar at the bottom that says what page out of total in book/ mins left in chapter/ percentage read in book. Which is nice a whole lot less poking around in menus. My paperwhite and voyage updated sometime over Saturday night.

I am haunted by waters.”

The following user would like to thank CoolSummer for this post:
froglipz
Mon Feb 29, 2016 6:15 pm
Profile Email
Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 22 posts ] • Topic evaluate: Evaluations: 0, 0.00 on the average.Evaluations: 0, 0.00 on the average.Evaluations: 0, 0.00 on the average.Evaluations: 0, 0.00 on the average.Evaluations: 0, 0.00 on the average.  Go to page 1, 2  Next