Online reading group and book discussion forum
  HOME ENTER FORUMS OUR BOOKS LINKS DONATE ADVERTISE CONTACT  
View unanswered posts | View active topics It is currently Wed Jul 17, 2019 10:15 pm

Post new topic This topic is locked, you cannot edit posts or make further replies.  [ 36 posts ] • Topic evaluate: Evaluations: 0, 0.00 on the average.Evaluations: 0, 0.00 on the average.Evaluations: 0, 0.00 on the average.Evaluations: 0, 0.00 on the average.Evaluations: 0, 0.00 on the average.  Go to page 1, 2, 3  Next
Fiction suggestions needed for Nov. and Dec. discussion 
Years of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membership
Book General

Silver Contributor

Post Fiction suggestions needed for Nov. and Dec. discussion
It's time to start thinking about what book of fiction we would like to discuss during the months of November and December.

Please add your fiction book suggestions here and remember to add a link to the book you are recommending. Feel free to add whether or not you have already read the book you are suggesting, and why you feel it would make for a good discussion. Comments on the books suggested are crucial to deciding which books will go into the official poll. Please leave feedback on the suggested novels, without feedback, it is impossible to determine which books will generate the best discussions.

Members who are eligible to nominate books are those members who have made a minimum of 25 posts. The goal for our fiction discussion is to attract active members who will participate in the discussion of the book of fiction that is ultimately selected.

The novels which recieve the most positive feedback will be placed in a poll open to all members with 25 or more posts. Personal taste in books of fiction varies greatly. Please keep this in mind and be respectful when making any negative comments.

I'm looking forward to seeing the suggestions.

Fri Oct 08, 2010 11:59 am
Years of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membership
Experienced

Post Re: Fiction suggestions needed for Nov.,Dec. discussion
I suggest T.C. Boyle's "The Tortilla Curtain."

-Gated community meets illegal immigrants. A mash up written in 1995, but still a heated debate in this 2010 political climate.
-No, I haven't read it, yet, but it's on my nightstand.

link:
http://www.amazon.com/Tortilla-Curtain- ... 735&sr=1-1

The following user would like to thank reader2121 for this post:
Suzanne
Fri Oct 08, 2010 6:34 pm
Profile Email
Years of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membership
Kindle Fanatic

This time I'll nominate The Road by Cormac McCarthy. Amazon link!

Well, this book is one of my favorites, and it is one the few books that has actually made me cry - and not just little teary eyes either; I wept when I finished it. :idea: Also, it was recently adapted into a movie starring Viggo Mortensen, which I haven't seen, but I think it'll give readers another way of interpreting the story.

I don't have time today to write a summary (in short, it is a beautiful post-apocalyptic novel, and you guys know how much I love those :lol: ), so I copied & pasted Dennis Lehane (author of Shutter Island, one of my other favorites) from amazon:

Quote:
Cormac McCarthy sets his new novel, The Road, in a post-apocalyptic blight of gray skies that drizzle ash, a world in which all matter of wildlife is extinct, starvation is not only prevalent but nearly all-encompassing, and marauding bands of cannibals roam the environment with pieces of human flesh stuck between their teeth. If this sounds oppressive and dispiriting, it is. McCarthy may have just set to paper the definitive vision of the world after nuclear war, and in this recent age of relentless saber-rattling by the global powers, it's not much of a leap to feel his vision could be not far off the mark nor, sadly, right around the corner. Stealing across this horrific (and that's the only word for it) landscape are an unnamed man and his emaciated son, a boy probably around the age of ten. It is the love the father feels for his son, a love as deep and acute as his grief, that could surprise readers of McCarthy's previous work. McCarthy's Gnostic impressions of mankind have left very little place for love. In fact that greatest love affair in any of his novels, I would argue, occurs between the Billy Parham and the wolf in The Crossing. But here the love of a desperate father for his sickly son transcends all else. McCarthy has always written about the battle between light and darkness; the darkness usually comprises 99.9% of the world, while any illumination is the weak shaft thrown by a penlight running low on batteries. In The Road, those batteries are almost out--the entire world is, quite literally, dying--so the final affirmation of hope in the novel's closing pages is all the more shocking and maybe all the more enduring as the boy takes all of his father's (and McCarthy's) rage at the hopeless folly of man and lays it down, lifting up, in its place, the oddest of all things: faith. --Dennis Lehane

Shelfari!

The following user would like to thank wilde for this post:
Suzanne
Sat Oct 09, 2010 1:55 pm
Profile Email YIM
Years of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membership
pets endangered by possible book avalanche

Diamond Contributor

How about something more seasonally oriented?

where n are natural numbers.

Sat Oct 09, 2010 7:53 pm
Profile Email
Years of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membership
BookTalk.org Hall of Fame

BookTalk.org Owner
Diamond Contributor 3

Stahrwe, what do you mean by seasonally oriented? Do you have any specific book ideas that would capture the season?

Sat Oct 09, 2010 10:51 pm
Profile Email WWW

Diamond Contributor

Chris OConnor wrote:
Stahrwe, what do you mean by seasonally oriented? Do you have any specific book ideas that would capture the season?

I do, it is an historical fiction about the Nativity. It was conceived by its author as an investigation of the perceived unfairness of the death of the innocents in Bethlehem while Jesus and his family escaped.

Sat Oct 09, 2010 11:22 pm
Profile Email
Years of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membership
Book General

Silver Contributor

Post Re: Fiction suggestions needed for Nov. and Dec. discussion
Hey Stah, if you have a suggestion, please make a post that includes the title of the novel and provide a link to it.

Sun Oct 10, 2010 12:18 am

Diamond Contributor

Flower, A Story of the Nativity

amazon.com/Flower-Story-Nativity-Ernest ... amp;sr=8-1

The following user would like to thank stahrwe for this post:
Suzanne
Sun Oct 10, 2010 11:58 am
Profile Email
Intelligent

The Tortilla Curtain is one of Boyle's best. It is an extraordinary look at American (Californian) life through Boyle's unique eyes. Given the current discussions about illegal immigrants it's also topical. I would definitely re-read this.

The following user would like to thank lindad_amato for this post:
reader2121
Sun Oct 10, 2010 4:30 pm
Book General

Silver Contributor

I actually read The Tortilla Curtain for a book discussion group. The discussion got pretty heated, and it was never boring. The topic is very relevant to today's society. Boyle does not take sides in this novel, he gives the reader the opportunity to come to conclusions on their own and to recognize biases they may have on the subject.

Sun Oct 10, 2010 7:27 pm
Years of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membership
No End in Sight

I would like to discuss "Wavering" by Virginia Frazier. One of the topics in the book hits on cyber-bullying/stalking, and that's something a lot of our teens are having to deal with in today's society.

Link: www.virginiafrazier.webs.com

Mon Oct 11, 2010 2:50 pm
Profile Email WWW
No End in Sight

stahrwe wrote:

By seasonally oriented, do you mean you would like to read a horror novel since it's almost time for Halloween?

Mon Oct 11, 2010 2:52 pm
Profile Email WWW
Kindle Fanatic

vetwriter wrote:
stahrwe wrote:

By seasonally oriented, do you mean you would like to read a horror novel since it's almost time for Halloween?

Well, technically since it's for November and December, I think they're talking about winter holidays like Hannukah(sp?), Christmas, Winter Solstice, all that good stuff. Although I'm up for a horror novel.

Shelfari!

Mon Oct 11, 2010 3:20 pm
Profile Email YIM
No End in Sight

Oh, I see. I wasn't paying attention to the Nov/Dec headline. Okay, so wrong month, but right idea.

Mon Oct 11, 2010 3:21 pm
Profile Email WWW
Book General

Silver Contributor

We are off to a good start. :)

It would be great to have a few more suggestions.

Wed Oct 13, 2010 6:05 am
Post new topic This topic is locked, you cannot edit posts or make further replies.  [ 36 posts ] • Topic evaluate: Evaluations: 0, 0.00 on the average.Evaluations: 0, 0.00 on the average.Evaluations: 0, 0.00 on the average.Evaluations: 0, 0.00 on the average.Evaluations: 0, 0.00 on the average.  Go to page 1, 2, 3  Next