• In total there are 7 users online :: 0 registered, 0 hidden and 7 guests (based on users active over the past 60 minutes)
    Most users ever online was 813 on Mon Apr 15, 2024 11:52 pm

Fiction selections needed for Sep./Oct. discussion

Assist us in selecting our upcoming FICTION book for group discussion in this forum. A minimum of 5 posts is required to participate here!
Genocide
Intern

Re: Fiction selections needed for Sep./Oct. discussion

Unread post

bleachededen wrote:I also don't know what you mean by "majority rules," Gen, because for several pages the majority was headed toward science fiction until several books were brought up that have already been read by many members, and once those were ruled out, all we were left with was the only book actually formally suggested, which isn't majority rule but winning by default, which I don't think is the preferred method for book selection here.
I thought everyone (the majority) just changed their mind to the Tin Drum. I must be mistaken then. :]

That's an interesting choice, Bleached. Not one I would have picked up seeing as religion makes my stomach hurt... but I can honestly say I've never heard of it. It seems interesting.
Last edited by Genocide on Fri Jul 23, 2010 3:49 am, edited 1 time in total.
Dropping glasses just to hear them break.
Siery
Official Newbie!

Unread post

I just wanted to take a moment and say that I am quite found of science fiction. :) And that I think there are several great suggestions, and will be checking back to see what is the upcoming selection.
NY152
Upwardly Mobile

Unread post

I really hope I didn't start anything. I'm very sorry if I upsetted anybody. A book on religion? Might be interesting. Have to be careful though on the topics that we all discuss. Don't want to hurt anybody on here. But either one of those books is fine by me.
lindad_amato
Intelligent

Unread post

The Good Man Jesus and the Scoundrel Christ sounds refreshing and provocative to me. I'd do it as a side forum if it is not the first choice.
oblivion

1G - SILVER CONTRIBUTOR
Likes the book better than the movie

Unread post

Although I haven't read this book, it has been recommended to me:

"Flatland" by Edwin Abot

http://www.amazon.com/Flatland-Illustra ... 786&sr=1-1

"Unless you're a mathematician, the chances of you reading any novels about geometry are probably slender. But if you read only two in your life, these are the ones. Taken together, they form a couple of accessible and charming explanations of geometry and physics for the curious non-mathematician. Flatland, which is also available under separate cover, was published in 1880 and imagines a two-dimensional world inhabited by sentient geometric shapes who think their planar world is all there is. But one Flatlander, a Square, discovers the existence of a third dimension and the limits of his world's assumptions about reality and comes to understand the confusing problem of higher dimensions. The book is also quite a funny satire on society and class distinctions of Victorian England. The further mathematical fantasy, Sphereland, published 60 years later, revisits the world of Flatland in time to explore the mind-bending theories created by Albert Einstein, whose work so completely altered the scientific understanding of space, time, and matter. Among Einstein's many challenges to common sense were the ideas of curved space, an expanding universe and the fact that light does not travel in a straight line. Without use of the mathematical formulae that bar most non-scientists from an understanding of Einstein's theories, Sphereland gives lay readers ways to start comprehending these confusing but fundamental questions of our reality" Amazon

I'm just not certain as to whether I should be recommending this on the fiction or on the non-fiction forum ???!
Gods and spirits are parasitic--Pascal Boyer

Religion is the only force in the world that lets a person have his prejudice or hatred and feel good about it --S C Hitchcock

Believe those who are seeking the truth. Doubt those who find it. --André Gide

Reading is a majority skill but a minority art. --Julian Barnes
President Camacho

1F - BRONZE CONTRIBUTOR
I Should Be Bronzed

Unread post

You're right... It is Veruca! I need to brush up on my Charlie and the Chocolate Factory! Wow you knew exactly what I was talking about.

Looks like the Tin Drum is a no go.

I'm not interested in a book regarding religion. I would like to read some serious fiction - preferably a classic or something that might be found on one of those '100 books you should read before you die' lists.

"I really think this site's better than that.

However, I have been known to be wrong."

Bleach, I'm surprised this website hasn't short circuited with all your crying.
bleachededen

1F - BRONZE CONTRIBUTOR
Finds books under furniture

Unread post

Camacho, I'm going to ask you straight up to please stop insulting me.
wilde
Kindle Fanatic

Unread post

NY152 wrote::evil: AND WHAT IS WRONG WITH LIKING SCIENCE FICTION?!?!
"Well, science fiction isn't just space opera like Star Trek and stuff (which is what said geeks with braces usually like), it covers a lot of literature. Alternate realities, time travel, superhero novels, zombie novels... Mmmm, zombie novels..."

And just kind of let you know, it's not all geeks with braces that like Star Trek.

I was saying when you think glasses-and-braces clad nerds, you think Star Trek... I'm a female (with glasses, no braces) and I do like science fiction. (I'm also not going to read the long rant.) My dad likes Star Trek and comic books, and when you look at him, he doesn't scream "geek."

Wasn't Flatland on Big Bang Theory? "Say you're a circle... Flatland gals LOVE circles." :lol:

And we don't really have to decide on one book right now... This is just the suggestions thread. :lol:
Big bright accent, catty smile
Oscar Wilde confrontation
Ah, live like it's the style.

Shelfari!
Suzanne

1F - BRONZE CONTRIBUTOR
Book General

Unread post

We need to focus on the task at hand, which is to choose four book nominations to be presented in a poll. To do this, we need feedback, and feedback will contain opinions. For someone like myself to say, “I do not particularly care for science fiction” by no means insinuates a personal attack on those readers who do enjoy science fiction. A resounding NO to a book that has been nominated, or a genre that has been suggested is just that, a no to the book or genre at hand and not the person who nominated it or the people supporting it.

Fiction can be very personal. Most of us have established patterns in our reading selections, and these patterns are hard to break. It is very difficult to select one book of fiction when members of BT have such varying taste. It may be impossible to select one novel that will make everyone happy. However, to select books to be placed in a poll requires feedback, and this feedback will undoubtedly include opinions. The opinions of all members need to be respected, whether you agree with that opinion or not, otherwise, this process will fail miserably. Comments and criticisms should be limited to the novels suggested, not the people suggesting them. A less personal approach to this process may be more productive.
bleachededen

1F - BRONZE CONTRIBUTOR
Finds books under furniture

Unread post

I made my official selection suggestion following the necessary guidelines.

All I ask now is not to be personally insulted by anyone on this forum. I don't think that's too much to ask.

Return to “What fiction book should we read and discuss next?”