• In total there are 0 users online :: 0 registered, 0 hidden and 0 guests (based on users active over the past 60 minutes)
    Most users ever online was 616 on Thu Jan 18, 2024 7:47 pm

Favorite fictional characters

Authors are invited and encouraged to present their FICTION books solely within this forum.
MadArchitect

1E - BANNED
The Pope of Literature

Favorite fictional characters

Unread post

What is your favorite fictional character, and why?If you need a little more leeway, let's make it two questions:1) What's your favorite recurring character -- that is, a character appearing in a series or sequel? and2) What's your favorite stand-alone character - that is, a character who makes an appearance in only one book or story?(ps. Does this thread belong somewhere else? If so, feel free to move it.)
MadArchitect

1E - BANNED
The Pope of Literature

Re: Favorite fictional characters

Unread post

Wow! Great question! Glad someone asked it...Let's see, one of my favorite recurring characters is Raymond Chandler's Phillip Marlowe. He's the prototype for the hard-boiled private detective that's become so iconic in American and French fiction and film, but there's a liveliness to the original that makes him worth keeping around, even when so many interesting variations have cropped up over the last 60 years or so. Marlowe's trademark is wit, lashing from his mouth with a distinctive 40s Los Angeles verve, but it's possible to catch glimpses of a less cynical person beneath all the bravado of his lingo. It's something of a shock at the end of "The Big Sleep", the first novel featuring Marlowe, to realize that he has a moral interest in what's going on. After all, he seems like the quintessential low-life, hiding behind a mask of professionalism. But it also comes off as entirely genuine, and this gives Chandler's novels a depth that's lacking in most of the detective genre.As for a stand-alone character, I'll choose the narrator's bizarre father from Bruno Schulz's semi-autobiographical "Street of Crocodiles". The father is a wildly eccentric Polish Jew, espousing a patently heretical doctrine to no one in particular, and cultivating a motley horde of grotesque birds in the attic. But his motivation for doing all of this is clearly related to his position in the household -- he's cowed by the women living around him, and "Street of Crocodiles" is permeated with the question of fatherhood and what it means to the young narrator who watches his father's disgrace.
Jade

re:

Unread post

That IS a fantastic question. Oddly, favourite characters are sometimes very different from favourite books - sometimes my favourite books have perfectly detestable characters. My favourite character of all time is Rincewind, hands down, from the Discworld series by Terry Pratchett. Not a terribly literary source, but enjoyable nevertheless. Besides, Terry Pratchett has a such a highly developed sense of humour that you must, in order to enjoy his books, have at least some degree of literacy. His jokes are almost always ironic commentary on something else, be it physics, art, or politics.Besides, almost everything Rincewind says is funny."Rincewind formed a mental picture of some strange entity living in a castle made of teeth. It was the kind of mental picture you tried to forget. Unsuccessfully.""Shut up and tell me what that other idiot ish doing!" "No, but look, if I've got to shut up, how can I --" The knife at his throat became a hot streak of pain and Rincewind decided to give logic a miss."Multiple exclamation marks are a sure sign of a diseased mind.""Luck is my middle name. Mind you, my first name is Bad."
BadBuc99

Re: re:

Unread post

Considering that my favorite author is C.S Lewis, I'd have to say Aslan from the Narnia series. 4 Super Bowl Championships - 2005
TheBookNerd

Favorite Fictional Characters

Unread post

I am also a Lewis fan but I would have to say that my favorite of his characters is Orual from Till We Have Faces.
pegasus563

Re: Favorite Fictional Characters

Unread post

My favorite character is Humbert Humbert from Lolita. He cracks me up. The things that go through his head! The personality of the author really shows through, and I love the style of the writing. It's a masterpiece from beginning to end.And my favorite recurring character is Nancy Drew because that is the only series that I ever really got into. I used to love those books.
MadArchitect

1E - BANNED
The Pope of Literature

Unread post

I'm not a huge fan of "Lolita", although I will agree that the most enjoyable aspect of that novel is the bizarre personality of its anti-hero. In particular, his description of a fire hydrants as resembling "an amputee midget" has always stuck with me.That said, one of Nabokov's early works is one of me favorite novels. It's translated "Mary" in most English editions. Very effecting little book.
PnkBunnyofDeath

Unread post

Hello all...just bumping this topic I'd have to say my favorite character of a fictional work Is Drizzt Do' Urden of R.A. Salvatore's seriesI started on this gene as a newbie and have been totally swept away in the the Legend of the Drow series. It's awesome, Drizzt's introspective memiors can be related in RL situations. Hands down the most engrossing character i've read..although when I cant be my hands on the next drizzt book I have contemplated starting the Discworld series Good to see Rincewind is worth my time =D Edited by: PnkBunnyofDeath  at: 5/23/06 7:30 pm
Eisprinz

Unread post

Favorite Standalone Character would be... Phineas from A Separate Peace. I'm always gravitated to the characters that shine and sparkle, but seem to be out of place wherever they are.And my Favorite Serial Character would be Louis or Lestat from Anne Rice's Vampire Chronicles. I eat up Louis' brooding, but I also like the passion in Lestat.~Eisprinz
SolinaJoki

Re: Favorite fictional characters

Unread post

I'd have to go with Atticus in To Kill A Mockingbird. There are few authors, in my opinion, who know how to portray a character with as much dimension as Harper Lee can. Atticus is intelligent, tender, gruff, strict with Gem and Scout, and has great morals. Just an overall great character. Also, that Gregory Peck played him in the movie doesn't hurt at all.

Return to “Authors: Tell us about your FICTION book!”