• In total there are 0 users online :: 0 registered, 0 hidden and 0 guests (based on users active over the past 60 minutes)
    Most users ever online was 736 on Tue Mar 19, 2024 2:38 am

Experience with CreateSpace

A forum for authors, as well as aspiring authors, to connect, network, and converse about all facets of writing, publishing, and promotion.
Forum rules
Do not promote books in this forum. Instead, promote your books in either Authors: Tell us about your FICTION book! or Authors: Tell us about your NON-FICTION book!.

All other Community Rules apply in this and all other forums.
bionov
Agrees that Reading is Fundamental

Experience with CreateSpace

Unread post

For those who have used CreateSpace, how did it workout? I’m trying to go through the book setup steps, and keep getting alerts for my cover specs. They seem to require all your graphics fit their cover design requirements. I’ve emailed them and told them it would be fine to leave off part of my DNA molecule on the right side. Somehow their criteria won’t allow for this request. See cover for “The True Virus” below:
http://www.pinterest.com/pin/285556432597088403/
gesler0811
Experienced

Re: Experience with CreateSpace

Unread post

Hey there.

I'm going through CreateSpace right now myself. The cover went through with no problems the first time around, although they did flag me with an alert because my headshot on the back cover was only like 96 dpi. But it's a small little pic, so I'm hoping it'll be fine.

Anyway, they are very specific about all the dimensions, and with very good reason - the cover needs to fit your book! Anyway, how did you go about setting up the cover? There's a spot where you can download a blank template for your particular trim size/page count/paper-type. The template already has all the guidelines for the edges, taking into account the bleed area, etc. And most importantly, it's already the correct size! So no issues with measurement mismatches there.

Did you do this? Did you use the blank template? Or were you trying to design from scratch? If you need help locating the templates, I can try to walk you through the clicks. Their site's not always the most intuitive layout.
Voodoo, zombies, artifacts, and magic: Urban fantasy with a New Orleans Flair
I am currently offering my urban fantasy novel 'Line of Sight' for only 99 cents - Buy from Smashwords and use Coupon Code CT92F
Come see why the book is getting such rave reviews! (Also available for kindle, nook, and iTunes, and as a paperback from Amazon)
Official Line of Sight Page
bionov

Unread post

Hi gesler0811,
I used CreateSpace cover creator. I picked “The Palm 6X9” template. Since I had both my front and back covers as “jpg” files, I was able to download them into this blank template. The problem I kept having was with my graphics crossing into the bleed area. I had to put a 0.5" border around my covers so they would be accepted. I also reduced the font size for my name. I now have my new thriller novel, “The True Virus” accepted by their reviewers. I’m now waiting for my proofs to arrive so I can approve them and have my book available on Amazon.
Thanks for your offer of assistance, but the problem has been solved.
gesler0811
Experienced

Unread post

Awesome, I'm glad it worked out. I know they are picky about that bleed area. They recommend just a solid color in that portion of the cover, because there's no telling how much of it is going to be chopped off. Therefore, no graphics should be in there. So that makes sense.

Good luck to you. My proof shipped yesterday afternoon, so now the waiting the game begins!
I am currently offering my urban fantasy novel 'Line of Sight' for only 99 cents - Buy from Smashwords and use Coupon Code CT92F
Come see why the book is getting such rave reviews! (Also available for kindle, nook, and iTunes, and as a paperback from Amazon)
gesler0811
Experienced

Unread post

My proof finally came. I hope yours was at least 300dpi, because mine wasn't and the fonts on the cover are a little pixelated. Otherwise, it looks pretty good. My cover designer did an awesome job, in my humble opinion. I suppose I'll take about a week or so to go over it with a fine tooth comb and make sure the interior is free of issues. I'm pretty confident because of the sheer number of times I went through and edited, but still. This is the last chance I get before people start ordering a print edition, you know?

One thing I didn't like... the text is skewed, as in, it doesn't go straight across the page horizontally, but rather has a faint slant to it, enough to catch my eye within the first minute or so of me perusing it. I wonder if it was a fluke. I'm interested to hear what yours looks like.
gesler0811
Experienced

Unread post

Well? Did the proofs ever arrive? What'd you think?
bionov

Unread post

Yes, my proofs arrived. The cover looks great. The only problem I've noticed is with my chapter headings. The blank spaces between the top of the page and the chapter title vary from chapter to chapter. However, to correct this I would have to delete or add spaces throughout my novel for each chapter. This would cause all my text to move around from page to page and could affect the breaks for my events. I've decided to leave well enough alone and approve my proofs.
Therefore, the printed version of "The True Virus" should be available on Amazon by the end of next week. :bananadance:
gesler0811
Experienced

Unread post

Hey, just fyi there is a pretty simple way to avoid that problem with the page spaces you were talkinga about.

You can create styles in MS Word and define how much space to apply before and after the text that you apply the style to. You can also apply font size, font type, all kinds of things.

It is an extremely simple way to make all the chapter headers exactly the same. And the best part is, if you want to change something, you just modify the style, and it changes all the chapter headers at the same time. Very convenient. I learned aout using styles in the smashwords style guide.
rchapman1tewantin
All Star Member
Australia

Unread post

I found CreateSpace really good. There is a bit of juggling to do - sometimes the number of lines on the page changes, but overall it wasn't too hard. Easier than passing Smashwords' meatgrinder requirements and I even managed that eventually!
Rita Lee Chapman
Author of the Anna Davies Mystery Series
Winston - A Horse's Tale
Dangerous Liaisons,
The Poinciana Tree
The Unicorn Angel
My Very Naughty Pony
gesler0811
Experienced

Unread post

rchapman1tewantin wrote:I found CreateSpace really good. There is a bit of juggling to do - sometimes the number of lines on the page changes, but overall it wasn't too hard. Easier than passing Smashwords' meatgrinder requirements and I even managed that eventually!
Lol, I didn't have any problems with meatgrinder. I did the "nuclear" method and reapplied the formatting that I wanted directly. But I hear you!!! I had problems at other stages, like the above mentioned issue!

Return to “Author's Lounge”