• In total there is 1 user online :: 1 registered, 0 hidden and 0 guests (based on users active over the past 60 minutes)
    Most users ever online was 616 on Thu Jan 18, 2024 7:47 pm

Ex-cop plans video on how to hide drugs - agree or not??

A forum dedicated to friendly and civil conversations about domestic and global politics, history, and present-day events.
Forum rules
Do not promote books in this forum. Instead, promote your books in either Authors: Tell us about your FICTION book! or Authors: Tell us about your NON-FICTION book!.

All other Community Rules apply in this and all other forums.
Chris OConnor

1A - OWNER
BookTalk.org Hall of Fame
United States of America

Ex-cop plans video on how to hide drugs - agree or not??

Unread post

Ex-cop plans video on how to hide drugsQuote:TYLER, Texas - A one-time Texas drug agent described by his former boss as perhaps the best narcotics officer in the country plans to market a how-to video on concealing drugs and fooling police. Barry Cooper, who has worked for small police departments in East Texas, plans to launch a Web site next week where he will sell his video, "Never Get Busted Again," the Tyler Morning Telegraph reported in its online edition Thursday.A promotional video says Cooper will show viewers how to "conceal their stash," "avoid narcotics profiling" and "fool canines every time."Cooper, who said he favors the legalization of marijuana, made the video in part because he believes the nation's fight against drugs is a waste of resources. Busting marijuana users fills up prisons with nonviolent offenders, he said."My main motivation in all of this is to teach Americans their civil liberties and what drives me in this is injustice and unfairness in our system," Cooper told the newspaper.Cooper said his Web site should be operating by Tuesday.As a drug officer, Cooper said, he made more than 800 drug arrests and seized more than 50 vehicles and $500,000 in cash and assets."He was even better than he says he was," said Tom Finley, Cooper's former boss on a West Texas drug task force and now a private investigator in Midland. "He was probably the best narcotics officer in the state and maybe the country during his time with the task force."News of the video has angered authorities, including Richard Sanders, an agent with the Tyler Drug Enforcement Agency. Sanders said he plans to investigate whether the video violates any laws."It outrages me personally as I'm sure it does any officer that has sworn an oath to uphold the laws of this state, and nation," Sanders said. "It is clear that his whole deal is to make money and he has found some sort of scheme, but for him to go to the dark side and do this is infuriating."Smith County Deputy Constable Mark Waters, a narcotics officer, said the video is insulting to law enforcement officials."This is a slap in the face to all that we do to uphold the laws and keep the public safe," he said.What do you guys think about this video and web site? Read the article before you respond. He is using a reasonable argument. Our prisons are filled with people that have bought and sold marijuana!!! When have you heard of someone stoned hurting themselves or another person? With the amount of alcohol flowing legally it doesn't make sense that something as seemingly harmless will get you locked up in prison for years and years. In the time it took to type this post thousands of people (maybe millions) took another hit off their joint. And not one of them hurt themselves or anyone else. All they did is laugh a little, maybe drool, and get the munchies. In the same time I typed this several drunken people died in automobile accidents, attacked someone else physically because they are shit-faced and feel invincible, or vomited all over themselves.
jjacobs43

Re: Ex-cop plans video on how to hide drugs - agree or not??

Unread post

I think that the majority of people agree with you. But there's the whole "Marijuana leads to harder drug use" camp that needs to be convinced. I personally doubt it, but that's the big argument.All that aside, it seems like if we have to put up with laws that "protect us from ourselves", it certainly shouldn't involve going to prison. And to top it off, when you get out, you've lost your right to vote to even voice an opinion politically about how ridiculous it is. I find it frustrating.Vegas is trying to become a city where it's legal and I truly hope they sucede. It might set the stage for a more sane policy in the future.
Chris OConnor

1A - OWNER
BookTalk.org Hall of Fame
United States of America

Unread post

I didn't know that about Vegas. That would be a step in the right direction, but I'm sure plenty of right-wing people would argue that it shows the lack of morality in Vegas.
Rich206

1F - BRONZE CONTRIBUTOR
Finally Comfortable

Unread post

Unfortunately, I have a lot of experience with illegal drugs. I've been clean and sober for almost ten years now, but before that I used them for many years. I met many people in recovery who had no use for marijuana, but had gone straight to cocaine. I did start with pot before graduating to harder drugs, but the fact that pot was illegal might have contributed to that, because many of the dealers I knew also dealt in other illegal substances. Actually, to be perfectly honest, I don't think it made much of a difference either way, because I willingly pursued all of it and probably would have regardless of the legal status of marijuana.I think it is ridiculous that I can go down to the corner package store and buy a gallon of vodka and be considered a good consumer, but if I go to my local dealer for an ounce of marijuana, I risk conviction of a felony and possible incarceration. I'm not recommending legalizing all drugs, but I think the damage pot use causes society is less than that of alcohol use. I think marijuana is psychologically addictive, but I know many potheads and have never known one who was willing to rob anyone to get high, unlike with other drugs such as coke or heroin.I read recently that the United States now has the highest rate of incarceration in the world. I don't know exactly how many of those are incarcerated for drug use, but obviously mandatory sentencing for drug use is at least partly responsible, and I have read that 1 of 3 woman in jail are there for drug offenses.I have no problem with incarcerating violent criminals, and I would prefer that the prison space be used for them rather than for potheads. I also think it would be better to pursue drug treatment for users of harder drugs that have not been convicted of violent crimes. A "war" on drugs cannot be won -- where there is a demand someone will find an ingenious way to supply it regardless of the risk -- and the costs to our society are enormous. Besides the financial burden of imprisoning so many people, there are additional costs once these prisoners are released. It is harder for them to find employment with a felony conviction, and in many states they lose the right to vote.No matter how many people we put in jail, it will not stop the demand for illegal drugs. It was recently reported that marijuana may be the largest cash crop in the country, and I was just reading that pot growers in Mexico have come up with some kind of hybrid plant that grows year round. I think pot should be legalized, taxed and controlled. The money earned from taxation should go to expanding drug treatment programs, so that we can try to manage the problem of illegal drug use sensibly, rather than portraying it in terms of a "war" on drugs.(As far as the video goes, I would think it would be protected as free speech.)

Return to “Current Events & History”