• In total there are 42 users online :: 0 registered, 0 hidden and 42 guests (based on users active over the past 60 minutes)
    Most users ever online was 789 on Tue Mar 19, 2024 5:08 am

Evidence for Jesus - the End of the Mythical of Jesus and more

Engage in conversations about worldwide religions, cults, philosophy, atheism, freethought, critical thinking, and skepticism in this forum.
Forum rules
Do not promote books in this forum. Instead, promote your books in either Authors: Tell us about your FICTION book! or Authors: Tell us about your NON-FICTION book!.

All other Community Rules apply in this and all other forums.
stahrwe

1I - PLATINUM CONTIBUTOR
pets endangered by possible book avalanche

Re: Evidence for Jesus - the End of the Mythical of Jesus and more

Unread post

DB Roy,

I have investigated many challenges to Christianity including Astrotheology. I was a participant briefly on the forum set up by D.M. Murdock (the self anointed Acharya S.) until I was banned for challenging their material. My criticisms were not directed to their doctrine but showing that their posts were factually wrong.

I bought some of Murdock's books including Christ in Egypt. I intended to go through her material and point out its errors but I found the task overwhelming. I would have had to reproduce the book with comments on nearly every paragraph. But the discovery which finally persuaded me to abandon the project was the discovery that it is understood that a MAJOR impediment to scientific progress had been the ancient doctrine of THE GREAT YEAR. When that cyclical philosophy was abandoned science took off.
n=Infinity
Sum n = -1/12
n=1

where n are natural numbers.
youkrst

1F - BRONZE CONTRIBUTOR
One with Books

Unread post

Stahrwe wrote:I bought some of Murdock's books including Christ in Egypt.
i have that one, it's excellent!
Kenneth Feder wrote:"Read her book. Criticize it if you believe it deserves criticism. But to dismiss it or get apoplectic about her thesis simply because it shocks you is plainly foolish."
Kenneth Feder, PhD
Professor of Archaeology, Central Connecticut State University
Frauds, Myths, and Mysteries: Science and Pseudoscience In Archaeology
lehelvandor
Freshman

Unread post

On the other thread on this topic, more precisely in the linked article there, the author even resorts to Occam's razor.
A slight problem for cold reason is that Occam's razor is again used in a classically erroneous way... what most of the time is missed in such uses of it is that the choices have to be equal in many respects.
Slightly on the side, one marvels how consistently an apparent "rational" process makes either fundamental reasoning mistakes in the same way, or at best leaves out essential parts of a principle depending on what suits the agenda best...

Return to “Religion & Philosophy”