• In total there are 4 users online :: 0 registered, 0 hidden and 4 guests (based on users active over the past 60 minutes)
    Most users ever online was 616 on Thu Jan 18, 2024 7:47 pm

Eclipsing the Power of Reason

Engage in discussions encompassing themes like cosmology, human evolution, genetic engineering, earth science, climate change, artificial intelligence, psychology, and beyond in this forum.
Forum rules
Do not promote books in this forum. Instead, promote your books in either Authors: Tell us about your FICTION book! or Authors: Tell us about your NON-FICTION book!.

All other Community Rules apply in this and all other forums.
Greg Neuman

1F - BRONZE CONTRIBUTOR
All Your Posts are Belong to Us!

Eclipsing the Power of Reason

Unread post

Here is an interesting article on world-wide reactions to today's solar eclipse. I found some of the statements included therein to be rather startling:"Many residents ran indoors before the eclipse started. Some did so for fear of looking at the phenomenon directly and damaging their eyes, while others did so in the belief that it was a satanic development. The eclipse was seen in 11 of Nigeria's 36 states. Local residents in comments to Deutsche Presse-Agentur dpa expressed beliefs that the eclipse was a religious event, God's way of warning Nigeria to turn away from sin. Other people spoke of the eclipse as being conjured by witches and wizards. A Muslim cleric, Abu Thanni, said the eclipse was Allah's way of showing that he is 'omnipotent,' while a Christian pastor, Joseph Aku, quoted the Bible to buttress his view that the eclipse was a divine event. Authorities were especially keeping a close eye on reactions in Nigeria. An eclipse in 1989 had led to rioting in the predominantly Muslim north as gangs burnt and looted homes and hotels to 'atone for the sins of infidels.'"Here in the west we tend to take a rational, scientific understanding of the world for granted. It is very, very easy to forget that even in the 21st Century, superstition and mysticism rule large parts of the world.S "Dear Buddha: Please bring me a pony and a plastic rocket."- Malcolm Reynolds, Serenity
riverc0il
Senior

Re: Eclipsing the Power of Reason

Unread post

thank you for posting that, it is certainly eye opening.
tarav

1F - BRONZE CONTRIBUTOR
Genuinely Genius

Unread post

That is scary. I'm sure that we, in the West,had our share of wacky people doing wacky things too. Interestingly, Big Love (the show that comes on after The Sopranos), incorporated the eclipse into their story line Sunday. I am glad that you posted this, Greg, as I didn't even realize they were incorporating anything that was actually going on!
Wishwas

Unread post

At least eclipses ( especially the solar ones ) are rare. But there are so many people who believe in astrology. The number of astrolgical forecast believers around us is really worrisome.
MadArchitect

1E - BANNED
The Pope of Literature

Unread post

The thing about astrology enthusiasts is that they come in so many varieties. There are, for instance, the cruchy granola astrologists, who really believe in the influence of astrological bodies on human emotions and events, and do a great deal of study on the subject so as not to be mislead by shoddy astrological forecasts. And in contrast, there are the lotto astrologists, who read the forecasts whenever it's convenient, enjoy it when events match up with the forecasts, and laugh at themselves when they don't match.Are these fundamentally different ways of looking at astrology, or are they just different degrees of the same sort of fascination? Me, personally, I'm not sure.

Return to “Science & Technology”