• In total there are 0 users online :: 0 registered, 0 hidden and 0 guests (based on users active over the past 60 minutes)
    Most users ever online was 616 on Thu Jan 18, 2024 7:47 pm

Eat Your Veggies, People

Engage in discussions encompassing themes like cosmology, human evolution, genetic engineering, earth science, climate change, artificial intelligence, psychology, and beyond in this forum.
Forum rules
Do not promote books in this forum. Instead, promote your books in either Authors: Tell us about your FICTION book! or Authors: Tell us about your NON-FICTION book!.

All other Community Rules apply in this and all other forums.
Loricat
Laughs at Einstein

Re: Eat Your Veggies, People

Unread post

Come on, people! Doesn't this story freak you out a little? Aren't there better things for scientists to be studying? Lori "All beings are the owners of their deeds, the heirs to their deeds."
scrumfish
Sophomore
United States of America

Re: Eat Your Veggies, People

Unread post

Are you kidding? That was an awesome link. I sent it to my dad. He's a farmer. Besides having an interest in plant varieties and such things from growing up on a farm, I also just finished reading The Botany of Desire: A Plant's-eye View of the World which has gotten me even more excited about plants. The book is divided into 4 sections in which Michael Pollan, the author, examines 4 diferent plants with 4 different qualities that the plants had that humans wanted. The book is partly about how plants use us humans to propagate themselves, and partly about some of the most fascinating history of apples, tulips, marijuana, and potatoes that i've ever read. Plant genetics to be used for commercial agriculture is a huge business.If you want to get freaked out about something, how about that for the first time instead of plant varieties being the communal property of humans, companies are now able to patent their genetically altered patents. In the potato section of the book, Pollan talks a lot about the Monsanto company. That company is sueing a whole bunch of farmers because of accidental cross pollination of copyrighted plants.
Loricat
Laughs at Einstein

Frankenfood

Unread post

Oh, yup...genetically engineered, patented, once-natural foods...You win, Scrum, that's far scarier. The book sounds great -- I'll look it up!Lori

Return to “Science & Technology”