Online reading group and book discussion forum
  HOME ENTER FORUMS OUR BOOKS LINKS DONATE ADVERTISE CONTACT  
View unanswered posts | View active topics It is currently Wed Jan 22, 2020 10:34 pm

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 50 posts ] • Topic evaluate: Evaluations: 0, 0.00 on the average.Evaluations: 0, 0.00 on the average.Evaluations: 0, 0.00 on the average.Evaluations: 0, 0.00 on the average.Evaluations: 0, 0.00 on the average.  Go to page 1, 2, 3, 4  Next
Dry January 
Years of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membership
Book Hoarder

BookTalk.org Moderator
Silver Contributor

Post Dry January
Quote:
Somewhere in the neighborhood of 80 percent of New Year’s resolutions fail. Gyms get more and more empty as the year winds on, the lure of social media grows increasingly harder to resist, and travel plans get delayed day-by-day until it’s suddenly been a year again. But if you can stick to one particular common resolution — to cut out drinking for a bit — it may have dividends that pay off down the line.

That’s the finding of a study out of the University of Sussex in England, where researchers decided to see how giving up drinking for a month — the 31-day period popularly known as “Dry January” — affected participants’ tendencies for imbibing later on. They found that those who successfully abstained for the duration of the month continued to drink less even once drinking resumed. Additionally, at points both one and six months later, those participants reported they were better able to resist the urge to drink in “social settings when others are drinking, for emotion regulation, and opportunistic drinking.” Put simply, there was an impressive reduction in drunkeness in their lives in general after the month was over.

http://www.salon.com/2015/12/31/why_obs ... e_partner/

Anyone want to take the Dry January Challenge?
Teetotalers not welcome. :lol:

The following user would like to thank LanDroid for this post:
Chris OConnor
Sun Jan 03, 2016 2:41 am
Years of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membership
One with Books

Silver Contributor

Post Re: Dry January
:-D no good for me, i've been trying to increase my drinking, i'm down to 2 to 6 heinekens a month and it sux

i miss the good ole days of a bottle of champers a day and then some :lol:

The following user would like to thank youkrst for this post:
Chris OConnor
Sun Jan 03, 2016 3:32 am
Profile Email
Years of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membership
Book Hoarder

BookTalk.org Moderator
Silver Contributor

Anyone? Buehler?
Looks like I'm on my own in this Quest. Ni!

Sun Jan 03, 2016 6:05 pm
Years of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membership
One with Books

Silver Contributor

:lol: the bridge of death :lol:

many a true word spoken in jest :-D

your good health sir :toast:

Sun Jan 03, 2016 7:12 pm
Profile Email
Book Hoarder

BookTalk.org Moderator
Silver Contributor

Re: Dry January
I've made it halfway through without a whimper so far.
So to celebrate, please have a beer for me! :beer2:
:lol:

Fri Jan 15, 2016 8:55 pm
One with Books

Silver Contributor

congrats LanDroid :up:

oh cheers m8. :-D

actually i have been drinking a bit more, which is good as it's very therapeutic for a guy like me.

my oldest is staying at home ATM and keeps bringing home expensive champagnes, it has certainly been party time at youkrst's, why only last night my wife was poking tongues at me and making bruce lee kicks in my direction, she can kick my ass from here to sunday anytime :lol:

Fri Jan 15, 2016 9:14 pm
Profile Email
Years of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membership
BookTalk.org Hall of Fame

Platinum Contributor
Book Discussion Leader

It's a great idea, but already I've tippled my way through half the month. Didn't see this in time. Ah, but February--there's an obvious opportunity in making it dry through itty-bitty February.

Sun Jan 17, 2016 12:20 pm
Book Hoarder

BookTalk.org Moderator
Silver Contributor

Yes, but unfortunately it's a leap year, so there's the matter of that extra day... :lol:

Sun Jan 17, 2016 8:49 pm
Book Hoarder

BookTalk.org Moderator
Silver Contributor

Re: Dry January
Anyone want to try the "Dry January" Challenge starting in a few days? (Tee-totallers or those drinking only 2 beers/week not welcome. Ni!)

Wed Dec 28, 2016 3:38 am
Years of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membership

Platinum Contributor
Book Discussion Leader

LanDroid wrote:
Anyone want to try the "Dry January" Challenge starting in a few days? (Tee-totallers or those drinking only 2 beers/week not welcome. Ni!)

I'm in this year! It'll be really interesting to see the difference that no rountinized drinking will make.

Wed Dec 28, 2016 9:41 pm
Years of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membership

Gold Contributor
Book Discussion Leader

LanDroid wrote:

Are you saying "Ni!" to that old woman?

I gave up alcohol in August 2015.

The following user would like to thank Robert Tulip for this post:
Chris OConnor
Thu Dec 29, 2016 5:21 am
Profile Email WWW

Platinum Contributor
Book Discussion Leader

Robert Tulip wrote:
LanDroid wrote:

Are you saying "Ni!" to that old woman?

I gave up alcohol in August 2015.

What has been the difference, Robert? And would you mind saying why you quit?

Thu Dec 29, 2016 8:17 pm
pets endangered by possible book avalanche

BookTalk.org Moderator
Platinum Contributor

LanDroid wrote:

I'll give it a try.

Although I should mention I gave up alcohol more than 25 years ago, so I reckon I'll make it through this January. :lol:

NOTE: Oops, I just saw the note about teetotalers.

Thu Dec 29, 2016 9:34 pm

BookTalk.org Owner
Diamond Contributor 3

I'm not going to participate but I applaud those of you that feel doing so is the right decision. For whatever reason I have never been a big drinker. I've got a pretty nice liquor cabinet and I do enjoy drinking, but the responsibilities of being a husband and father keep me from imbibing more than a few times each month.

Let me make a quick edit. I spent many years drinking almost every weekend. And I got plastered and acted nutty like most drunk guys do. But that was in my twenties.

Thu Dec 29, 2016 10:28 pm
Profile Email WWW
Years of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membership

Gold Contributor
Book Discussion Leader

DWill wrote:
What has been the difference, Robert? And would you mind saying why you quit?

I have never been a big alcohol drinker, although in the last few years I got into the habit of drinking one or two glasses of wine most days, and also drinking spirits and beer now and then.

I gave up alcohol during a holiday at Uluru in Central Australia in August 2015, as part of a broader effort to improve my health. Since 2012 I have lost 18 kilograms (40 lb) in weight, from 91 kg to 73 kg. I ride my bicycle about 100 km every week, and do not eat between 8pm and 12 noon, intermittent fasting for sixteen hours every day.

My main reasons to give up alcohol were as a test of personal focus so I can concentrate on ideas, for health reasons, and because I do not like the way alcohol is promoted as a universal sedative.

Interestingly, I gave up tobacco for 25 years from when I last visited Uluru in 1983, although I did start smoking again occasionally in about 2008.

The following user would like to thank Robert Tulip for this post:
DWill
Fri Dec 30, 2016 6:10 am
Profile Email WWW
Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 50 posts ] • Topic evaluate: Evaluations: 0, 0.00 on the average.Evaluations: 0, 0.00 on the average.Evaluations: 0, 0.00 on the average.Evaluations: 0, 0.00 on the average.Evaluations: 0, 0.00 on the average.  Go to page 1, 2, 3, 4  Next