• In total there is 1 user online :: 0 registered, 0 hidden and 1 guest (based on users active over the past 60 minutes)
    Most users ever online was 758 on Tue Mar 19, 2024 3:50 am

Dropping my publisher

A forum for authors, as well as aspiring authors, to connect, network, and converse about all facets of writing, publishing, and promotion.
Forum rules
Do not promote books in this forum. Instead, promote your books in either Authors: Tell us about your FICTION book! or Authors: Tell us about your NON-FICTION book!.

All other Community Rules apply in this and all other forums.
TheWizard
The Great Gabsby

Dropping my publisher

Unread post

After a year wasted, I'm sending my publisher on their way.

Lessons learned: they are NOT all the same. I went with a smaller publisher run by an independent writer. She had more than a dozen authors and I thought it would be a great match.

Not so much. First of all: ZERO investment in her authors. No advertising, no anything. Her total advice had to do with free stuff that you could do on your own. I don't need a publisher for that.

Before I met her, I was selling hundreds per month and, since, 25 copies in a year, and not a single royalty payment on top of that.

There was a rider in the agreement which essentially said, "If I don't pay you in six months, then the agreement is void." So I'm sending out the notice that I'm terminating the agreement on Monday
Robert Brady
Author of The Fovean Chronicles
http://www.swordsandsorcery.com
PoeticJustin
Master Debater

Re: Dropping my publisher

Unread post

I know how this is, I once published with PublishAmerica. It was a living hell and finally after four years I was able to get out of my contract. You were right about one thing, why have the "professionals" tell you about free stuff when it's stuff you can figure out and do on your own?
Justin Bienvenue--Author--Like A Box of Chocolates
JeronMcCall
Getting Comfortable

Re: Dropping my publisher

Unread post

Do what's best for you. I never pursued a publisher, and chose to do everything myself in order to avoid the problems that you've dealt with.
My two novels, The Making of a Gangster and The Corrupting of the Redeemer, are available on Amazon.com at http://amzn.com/e/B003E8A5JG.

Image Image

Return to “Author's Lounge”