• In total there are 0 users online :: 0 registered, 0 hidden and 0 guests (based on users active over the past 60 minutes)
    Most users ever online was 616 on Thu Jan 18, 2024 7:47 pm

Do you own a gun?

The perfect space for valuable discussions that may not neatly fit within the other forums.
Forum rules
Do not promote books in this forum. Instead, promote your books in either Authors: Tell us about your FICTION book! or Authors: Tell us about your NON-FICTION book!.

All other Community Rules apply in this and all other forums.
Chris OConnor

1A - OWNER
BookTalk.org Hall of Fame
United States of America

Re: Do you own a gun?

Unread post

Damn Rowan! Remind me not to sneak up on you. I feel it is not just our right, but our duty to arm bears. Those furry bastards are under constant assault and deserve the opportunity to fight back.Chris
Frank 013
Worthy of Worship

Re: Methinks this topic needs to be revisited...

Unread post

The fact is that accidents do happen, and when a lethal weapon is involved accidents can easily become deadly. If someone chooses to own a gun they should understand that there are many risks involved. People can take measures to reduce these risks but nothing is 100% when humans get involved, (except that there will eventually be some sort of problem) so the risk, however small, always exists.This is one of the reasons I do not own a gun now.Many of the people who own guns understand these risks and accept them, many more I fear do not. Dick Cheney now sits among the statistical minority, I doubt anything will change because of it.Later
pctacitus

Unread post

I don't own one, but I have to use one for work. I'd actually like to own one, but all I've really had to learn are the sort of things that are expensive like the m16, m240 medium machine gun, m203 grenade launcher, m249 squad automatic weapon, mk19 grenade launcher, at4 anti-tank rocket and the 50 caliber machine gun. I'd like to get a pistol, but I'd need to learn more about them. "...the great events in life come from the books, rather than the people, one comes across." - Robert D. Kaplan, Mediterranean Winter: the Pleasures of History and Landscape in Tunisia, Sicily, Dalmatia, and Greece
Chris OConnor

1A - OWNER
BookTalk.org Hall of Fame
United States of America

Unread post

With that arsenal I need to remember not to piss you off.
Loricat
Laughs at Einstein

Unread post

Why am I glad that I'm Canadian?Right here: 11-Year-Old Killed in Road Rage Shooting.Yes, I do realize that many citizens of the USA don't have guns nor want them. But this kind of thing does not happen in many other countries. "All beings are the owners of their deeds, the heirs to their deeds." Loricat's Book NookCelebrating the Absurd
pctacitus

Unread post

We all had to learn to use those Chris. "...the great events in life come from the books, rather than the people, one comes across." - Robert D. Kaplan, Mediterranean Winter: the Pleasures of History and Landscape in Tunisia, Sicily, Dalmatia, and Greece
Kryptik

Unread post

This is a good topic because it brings out people from both sides.First off, I've owned and shot guns of various sorts since I was 7years old. I own BBguns, various paintball guns and 20+ Rifles, Handguns and Shotguns. In my time of owning these weapons, I have never once accidently fired a gun, had a mishap with any of my friends (new shooters) or any problems of the sort. The biggest part of using a gun is responsibility. Every day, I drive a six thousand pound, guided chunk of steel that could easily be used to "slaughter, kill or injure" people, but as with most of us, we have never been involved in that sort of incident with our vehicles. 95% of those that i've found are scared of guns, are ignorant about firearms. They know what they have heard, but have never experience what they claim. Everyone that has ever joined me at a range has had their perspective flipped 180degrees. They learn a new understanding and respect for firearms and most take up shooting.Personaly, I have many guns for hunting, some for target shooting, some for fun, and 3 for defense. I'll leave hunting, target and fun shooting out for now.The 3 that I do use include an AR-15, Mossberg 590 Shotgun and a Glock 27. The Glock 27 is carried with me almost daily. It is fully modified, including trigger work, night sights and polished internals. If I need a weapon, I know I can trust my life to it. Yes, I'm willing to take someone's life in order to save mine. I don't understand how someone could even make that option a question. If someone has threatened my life, they have already chosen to put theirs on the line and a bad choice it will be. I hope that in my life I will not be put in that situation, but I will not be a victim if it does happen.Guns have many functions and stating that they are only for killing, is a sad lie.

Return to “Everything Else”