• In total there is 1 user online :: 0 registered, 0 hidden and 1 guest (based on users active over the past 60 minutes)
    Most users ever online was 616 on Thu Jan 18, 2024 7:47 pm

Do you keep a journal or diary?

The perfect space for valuable discussions that may not neatly fit within the other forums.
Forum rules
Do not promote books in this forum. Instead, promote your books in either Authors: Tell us about your FICTION book! or Authors: Tell us about your NON-FICTION book!.

All other Community Rules apply in this and all other forums.
Chris OConnor

1A - OWNER
BookTalk.org Hall of Fame
United States of America

Do you keep a journal or diary?

Unread post

Do you keep a journal or diary?And by "keep" I mean make regular entires? Results (total votes = 10):Yes, and I have for a long time&nbsp7 / 70.0%&nbsp Yes, but it is something I started recently&nbsp3 / 30.0%&nbsp No, I never kept a journal or diary&nbsp0 / 0.0%&nbspNo, but I plan to start one day&nbsp0 / 0.0%&nbspNo, but great idea! Thanks Chris!&nbsp0 / 0.0%&nbsp
Chris OConnor

1A - OWNER
United States of America

Re: Do you keep a journal or diary?

Unread post

I keep a password protected journal, but I don't make entries nearly enough.
MadArchitect

1E - BANNED
The Pope of Literature

Unread post

Just my reading journal, which is currently in its fourth volume.
Wishwas

Unread post

I have been writing them for many years now. But my problem is I don't read my diaries. Perhaps I may read them after my retirement! Currently I am planning to shift to the electronic alternatives. If some of you want to start this habit but are unable to do so, I have a few suggestions: 1. Please don't make it your New year resolution. Don't wait for the next 1st Jan. Start on any day. ( So why not today ?).2. Stop bothering about how to keep them secret.
Chris OConnor

1A - OWNER
United States of America

Unread post

I've searched online for good journal software and the one I use is called "It's Personal." I'd love to find one that created MS Word .doc files, so that you don't need that piece of software to access them if you someday don't have it any more.
MadArchitect

1E - BANNED
The Pope of Literature

Unread post

There's probably a simple program out there that will lock regular files for you. That way, you could use a .doc file as your diary and just password protect that file.
tarav

1F - BRONZE CONTRIBUTOR
Genuinely Genius

Unread post

No, but I used to keep a diary. I kept one when I was a child for awhile. I really enjoyed it. I haven't thought about keeping one as an adult until Chris made this thread. It would be nice. I may look into starting again. But as has been mentioned, keeping entries private would be the difficult thing. Even though someone said not to worry about the privacy issue, I think the most effective journaling is the kind you think no one else is reading. Maybe that's why a lot of children keep them. We still believed things you wrote could remain private! I'm sure some family member read mine!
riverc0il
Senior

Unread post

where is the option for a blog? i don't consider it a journal or a diary, it is more a collection of ramblings, random postings, and occasionally a few highlights of my day and or thoughts about current events.riverc0il.livejournal.com/
Wishwas

Unread post

It was I who wrote not to worry too much about privacy issue. But I know it is important. I mentioned it because I have so many friends who say they want to start writing a diary and then they get bogged down by excessively worrying about privacy. Now we have so many options if the journal is in an electronic form. Even in case of blogs. we have a choice not to publish it. In the past people had developed their own secret codes just to keep the contents of their diaries secret.
the hive queen

Unread post

I have kept a journal since I was 10 (20 years going now). I don't write about everything. Instead, I use it as my place to vent. It is the only place that I am truly honest about all my negative thoughts. The rest of the world sees me after I have calmed down and thought about things in a rational manner. My journal is my substitute for therapy. I have always asked room mates and family to avoid reading it, but if they must, keep in mind it is all written in anger or passion. "Work like you don't need the money. Love like you've never been hurt. Dance like nobody is watching." -- Keller Williams

Return to “Everything Else”