• In total there is 1 user online :: 1 registered, 0 hidden and 0 guests (based on users active over the past 60 minutes)
    Most users ever online was 616 on Thu Jan 18, 2024 7:47 pm

Dislike of Science

Engage in conversations about worldwide religions, cults, philosophy, atheism, freethought, critical thinking, and skepticism in this forum.
Forum rules
Do not promote books in this forum. Instead, promote your books in either Authors: Tell us about your FICTION book! or Authors: Tell us about your NON-FICTION book!.

All other Community Rules apply in this and all other forums.
Interbane

2B - MOD & SILVER
BookTalk.org Hall of Fame
United States of America

Dislike of Science

Unread post

This seems like a thread for the Science forum, but I think it fits here better.In my life, I've ran across many people who dislike science. They don't try to understand it, yet they have an opinion about it. I'm a philosophical virgin so this may have an easy yes / no answer, but I'll pose it.I believe that people have an inborn urge to find meaning in life and in the universe. When people come to a conclusion and believe in that conclusion, they often do so without the proper knowledge to come to that conclusion in the first place. As time goes on, they become comfortable with that belief and anchor other beliefs to it. When they finally have someone educate them on their belief, they find out that their original conclusion is false. The beliefs that were anchored to it come crashing down, causing the person 'mental pain,' if you understand my meaning. Maybe 'mental discomfort' is more like it.Human nature offers up an urge to seek vengeance for pain and discomfort, be it physical or mental. The natural culprit of this search for vengeance is not the messenger of the information, but the discoverer; the source of the information, which is science. With no way to incur retribution upon science, do people then turn to resentment or dislike?
booper54

Re: Dislike of Science

Unread post

This is the main reason why so many theists do not like science; it reveals the truth about their beliefs and often times the truth is that their beliefs are wrong. To me this is just being closed-minded. I think they are just too comfortable with their beliefs and don't want to change them. They would rather live their life believing these potential lies than challenge them and find the truth.
Mr. P

1F - BRONZE CONTRIBUTOR
Has Plan to Save Books During Fire

Unread post

Bane:I am thinking about this. I like the way your presented this thought and will add something, hopefully, useful to it. Just not much time at this time!Mr. P. The one thing of which I am positive is that there is much of which to be negative - Mr. P.I came to get down, I came to get down. So get out ya seat and jump around - House of PainHEY! Is that a ball in your court? - Mr. PI came to kick ass and chew Bubble Gum...and I am all out of Bubble Gum - They Live, Roddy Piper
Niall001
Stupendously Brilliant

Unread post

This is a rather interesting thread. Or at least it has the potential to be a really interesting thread if lots of people pip in.In my experience, people dislike science because it's bloody hard. It's alien to most people.It's also got an (may the lord forgive me for using this term) 'uncool' image.And of course, then there's the various psychological biases that contribute. But I think the more important questions we have to answer are why science has the image it has and why people find it hard to understand science.Too tired to offer my two cents on those questions. But I'll get round to it if the week is quiet. Let us agree, there is no one single reality. Not upon this stage, not in this world, all is in the mind... imagination is the only truth. Because it cannot be contradicted except by other imaginations - Richard MathesonThere are no conclusive indications by which waking life can be distinguished from sleep - Rene Descartes
amd2003

Unread post

: In my experience, people dislike science because it's bloody hard.Agree. Mother Nature is a regular bitch. Also, the alternate answers (god, whatever) are flattering and make one feel good. It is a choice between honest but painful truth and a comforting lie. Most people would like to hear about a benevolent god than blind forces causing things to happen.Also, the products of physical science have caused a lot harm - Chernobyl, guns, etc. We don't have an advanced behavioral science to make only the good things of physical science happen. We enjoy the benefits of science (house, heat, electricty, computers) and curse where science has failed. This is not to say that our way of life does not have problems.
Interbane

2B - MOD & SILVER
United States of America

Unread post

"It is a choice between honest but painful truth and a comforting lie."I agree with this. Some people are able to completely accept god and science at a more than high school level, but from my experience, those people are few and far between. For most other people, they choose one or the other. For those who choose exclusively God and are blissfully ignorant of science, how can they ignore the origin of conveniences that they would suffer without - house, heat, electricity, computers, vehicles, television, phones, medicine, online forums, etc...Would they suffer? I took my friend, who is a city boy, camping this weekend. He was miserable and claimed if he had to live out there he would commit suicide. For the record, I camp in the middle of nowhere at places inaccessible by vehicles and lacking any modern convenience.
Sakis Totlis

Unread post

Interbane I noticed an interesting for me early post of yours."...Let me clarify. I treasure both reason and emotion. In a way they are like ying and yang. Not to downsize the importance of other virtues, but these two are very important..."...Very important indeed! Aristotle had said, "the mind cannot think without an image." Images are the true and essential content of consciousness and the intellect, because the mind functions (remembers, thinks and reasons) with images. Language and reason expand on images. However (on the same wave length with Interbane's post) there is also a strong connection and mutual function of reason with respect to emotions. Having this in mind we understand that an image is related both with the reasoning intellect and some emotion. Images are the subject matter of this thinking/reasoning mental process but emotions provide the necessary fuel. A mind thinks and reasons on a certain subject as long as it is stimulated to do so. Paraphrasing Aristotle we could say that: "A mind can only think with images, as long as there is an emotional stimulation to do so." Interbane, I think that this is a (psychological) answer to your question, why scientific and rational thinking is unpopular for many. It is boring for many people because it lacks for them some heavy and direct emotional discharge. (Unlike, for instance, Al Bandy's extremely popular subject: Udders! )Regarding this reason/emotion duo some people favor reasoning and some others favor other more direct and wholesale ways to discharge their emotions, depending on their natural inclination, enhanced by their cultural and educational level. The more educated (or cultured) a man is the more sensitive his mind is than any other of his functional organs. One cannot expect an individual with a rarely used ( ) and out of practice dull and dusty mind to get kicks out of thinking. The way we don't expect a man to get kicks out of playing the guitar when he plays it rarely and poorly and had no real inclination for it in the first place. Each one gets kicks (discharges emotions) out of his most sensitive and effective organ, the most sharpened with regular everyday practice. Thinking, too, can be very addictive. It whets the mind and builds up an appetite for more and more mental activity, for more and more rational thinking. It conditions the entire system-organism to discharge its excess emotional charges through rational thinking in order to arrive at some serene equilibrium. Rational thinking is not an empty and meaningless emotional discharge, either
Interbane

2B - MOD & SILVER
United States of America

Unread post

Sakis, would it be wrong to summarize your meaning as:"Men who reason less and think less are more likely to dislike science?"
booper54

Unread post

^That was a good post. I'd like to add that many people like to "discharge" their emotions through church and belief in God. This branches off of a reason theists don't particularly like science (because it gives them truth about their religion) because, in turn, they also want to keep this way of discharging their emotions. What they don't know is that science can do the same thing just as well, if not better.

Return to “Religion & Philosophy”