• In total there are 0 users online :: 0 registered, 0 hidden and 0 guests (based on users active over the past 60 minutes)
    Most users ever online was 616 on Thu Jan 18, 2024 7:47 pm

Dislike of Science

Engage in conversations about worldwide religions, cults, philosophy, atheism, freethought, critical thinking, and skepticism in this forum.
Forum rules
Do not promote books in this forum. Instead, promote your books in either Authors: Tell us about your FICTION book! or Authors: Tell us about your NON-FICTION book!.

All other Community Rules apply in this and all other forums.
Dissident Heart

1F - BRONZE CONTRIBUTOR
I dumpster dive for books!

Re: dislike of science

Unread post

Every weapon of mass, and not so mass, destruction, as well as toxic waste dump, was envisioned, planned, experimented, theorized, tested, developed, researched, produced, built by a Scientist employing Science. Your fascination with Science leaves out one crucial thing...the Scientist. The human being full of passion, fear, envy, greed, lust, anger, arrogance, nationalist allegiences, class identities....who practices Science, employs Science, and works as a Scientist.Thank God for the great wonders and treasures Science offers- life would be a wretched mess without them. Still, Science casts a dark and terrifying shadow...one that has brought the human species and the entire bio-sphere to the brink of annihilation.Your accent upon the beauty of Science is important. Your seeming disregard for its ugliness is wreckless. Blaming it all on politicians and religious fanatics is an escape from accountability. Edited by: Dissident Heart at: 10/31/04 9:44 pm
Interbane

2B - MOD & SILVER
BookTalk.org Hall of Fame
United States of America

Unread post

I fully agree Dissident. You are right. Back to the thread. Is the morality of the application of science the reason people dislike science? I'm furious at the wrongful application of science. By applying the Will Hunting wisdom, that would indirectly imply my fury is aimed at Science itself. Well, why am I not furious at science as the Will Hunting wisdom would say? I see enough degrees of separation to distinguish on who to place the majority of the burden of guilt. You may disagree, but that is your opinion. If you base your dislike of science on that 'opinion', I believe you are a minority. I believe the majority of people dislike science for another reason. That is my opinion. Talk about Greenpeace and other environmentalists. Among them are scientists. They are doing the right thing, and some are using science as a tool to combat some 'wrongful applications' of science.Disclaimer - it is a valid reason to dislike science, please don't say I never agreed. But it is not the only reason. As I said, it is a minority reason. A passionate one for a few people, but a minority one.
Niall001
Stupendously Brilliant

Unread post

I think its interesting if you look back through the last few decades, people went from holding science up as the answer to all our problems to seeing it as a threat.I mean, if you look at T.V. shows from the sixties where they looked into the future, you see flying cars, no starvation, perfect health, easy living etc. All these things are attributed to progress and science. Superheros exposed to radiation didn't die, they got superpowers! These days, its more likely that sci-fi shows us a future where machines have taken over, or a nuclear explosion has destroyed everything. I'm not really sure why that is. When did we fall out of love with science? Maybe if you call pin down the when, you can find clues as to the why.The last time there was so much fear of science was probably during the late 19th century. Something like Frankenstein shows the general attitude toward science of a considerable number of people. It was a threat. It could subvert the natural. Is it something similar today? Let us agree, there is no one single reality. Not upon this stage, not in this world, all is in the mind... imagination is the only truth. Because it cannot be contradicted except by other imaginations - Richard MathesonThere are no conclusive indications by which waking life can be distinguished from sleep - Rene Descartes

Return to “Religion & Philosophy”