• In total there are 10 users online :: 1 registered, 0 hidden and 9 guests (based on users active over the past 60 minutes)
    Most users ever online was 616 on Thu Jan 18, 2024 7:47 pm

Depster1978

The perfect space for valuable discussions that may not neatly fit within the other forums.
Forum rules
Do not promote books in this forum. Instead, promote your books in either Authors: Tell us about your FICTION book! or Authors: Tell us about your NON-FICTION book!.

All other Community Rules apply in this and all other forums.
Depster1978

Depster1978

Unread post

Hello, everyone. I'm the newest new member.My name is Denise and I currently live in Central Pennsylvania, but that really isn't home for me. I'm a very free thinking theist. I've seen some warnings to other theists that they should be willing to question their beliefs. That will not be a problem for me. I was raised as a fundamentalist and have thrown out almost every belief I was taught. I'm quite a skeptic so hopefully I'll fit in and be challenged. I love to read - mostly non fiction (historical, philosophy of religion) and occasionally fantasy
Izdaari

Re: Depster1978

Unread post

Ha! I beat you here by a day. Welcome, from one sceptical theist to another.
scrumfish
Sophomore
United States of America

Unread post

I'd like to add a welcome from one raised by fundies to another. Are you hoping to leave Pennsylvania soon, or are you stuck there for awhile? I found many parts of the state to be pretty, but I never lived there (I visited friends in Butler a few times). Where is your dream home?
yellowlight

Unread post

Greetings Depster,I also think of myself as a free thinking theist. You will be challenged on that though. Also expect to to challenged on your beliefs, but if you are open-minded and confidence in those beliefs you will find that this truly is a great place to discuss topics in an intellectual capacity. Welcome.
Depster1978

Unread post

Thanks for all the welcomes!! Scrumfish - It looks like I'll be in PA for at least a year. After that, we will see what happens. PA is a very pretty state especially in the warmer months. I like to hike up in the hills. Unfortunately, it is also a very conservative area. That's why I'm joining here because I'd like to be challenged in a more intellectual, skeptical way. Not challenged to be more conservative... We will see. Where my dream house would be changes frequently, but right now I'd probably build it on Lake Atitlan in Guatemala. Before I visited, I was told it was the most beutiful lake in the world. I was skeptical, but turns out that it just might be. It's definitly the prettiest lake I've ever seen. It's good to see that there are other fundies here that have seen the light.
Chris OConnor

1A - OWNER
BookTalk.org Hall of Fame
United States of America

Unread post

DeniseFirst of all, welcome to the community. I'm sure you'll find the discussion topics and books challenging and educational. So Lake Atitlan is pretty nice, eh? I ran a search and found the following picture...I'll have to agree! Gorgeous lake Denise. Maybe we'll one day be neighbors as I'll now add Lake Atitlan to my list of dream homes.So how did you find BookTalk? Were you referred to us by someone? Or did you run a search for book discussion communities? And if you have time I'd love if you put a push pin in on our Guest Map. You'll find the map in the right-hand margin at the bottom of our Home page. It is fun looking at the map for a visual depiction of how we are all spread out over the world.Nice to have you join us. Chris
Depster1978

Unread post

Thanks for the welcome, Chris. The pictures of the lake don't do it justice. Someday, you will have to visit it yourself. I found this site when I was searching for online book discussion groups. Most of what I found was mysteries and romances, which isn't what I'm interested in. You run a good group. Thanks!
marti1900

Unread post

Hello and welcome from the central highlands of Mexico. I'm originally from New Jersey, down around Philadelphia area. Where in PA are you? The DH and I considered Guat before moving to Mexico, but decided that 2-and-a-half-world was as primitive as we wanted to get. I correspond with someone who lives in Lake A, the Hippie Capital of Central America. Anyway, look forward to your posts. Marti in Mexico
Chris OConnor

1A - OWNER
BookTalk.org Hall of Fame
United States of America

Unread post

DeniseThank you!Chris
Depster1978

Unread post

Marti, I grew up outside of Philly too, only on the PA side. Now I live near Harrisburg. I've been to Puebla, Mexico which I think may be in the central highlands. If so, it is beautiful there too. I loved watching the volcano every day!

Return to “Everything Else”