• In total there are 79 users online :: 1 registered, 0 hidden and 78 guests (based on users active over the past 60 minutes)
    Most users ever online was 871 on Fri Apr 19, 2024 12:00 am

DB from Detroit

The perfect space for valuable discussions that may not neatly fit within the other forums.
Forum rules
Do not promote books in this forum. Instead, promote your books in either Authors: Tell us about your FICTION book! or Authors: Tell us about your NON-FICTION book!.

All other Community Rules apply in this and all other forums.
DB Roy
Beyond Awesome

DB from Detroit

Unread post

I've been posting but did not put up an intro thread yet so I guess I should.

It's been very cold in Detroit but we're supposed to start a warm-up tomorrow. I've had it with winter and snow. I'm still recovering from a burst appendix but am well on my way to a full recovery but I hope I never have to get surgery ever again.

I am a musician and play a variety of instruments but devote myself primarily to double bass and recently had one custom-made for me which was very expensive but I knew it wasn't a cheap discipline when I got into it. I am classically trained but specialize in jazz. It's amazing how much you have to know about music and your particular instrument to be any good at jazz or classical--none of this playing by ear and can't read music stuff. You won't be around long in either genre otherwise. Just to pass a symphony audition really takes work.

I read a lot and I write a lot but I can't write fiction. I've tried and tried but I am no good at it. I can write histories and analyses and manifestos and articles and biographies and true accounts and reviews and you name it but just don't ask me to write fiction. But I enjoy good fiction with a big weakness for Pynchon and Burroughs.

Well, I guess that's it.
youkrst

1F - BRONZE CONTRIBUTOR
One with Books

Re: DB from Detroit

Unread post

Great to have you here DB :-D

looking forward to reading more of your posts.

and glad to hear a full recovery is happening.

see you in the digital soup. :)

may the seventh mode of the melodic minor ascending (jazz minor) fit beautifully over your altered dominant chords and if the fifth is natural may your half-whole symetrical diminished serve you well. else otherwise chord tones and chromatics to you brother :-D
DB Roy
Beyond Awesome

Unread post

Thank you youkrist.
Chris OConnor

1A - OWNER
BookTalk.org Hall of Fame
United States of America

Unread post

Welcome to the community. :-)