• In total there is 1 user online :: 0 registered, 0 hidden and 1 guest (based on users active over the past 60 minutes)
    Most users ever online was 616 on Thu Jan 18, 2024 7:47 pm

Creationism vs. Evolution - A Culture Divided

Engage in conversations about worldwide religions, cults, philosophy, atheism, freethought, critical thinking, and skepticism in this forum.
Forum rules
Do not promote books in this forum. Instead, promote your books in either Authors: Tell us about your FICTION book! or Authors: Tell us about your NON-FICTION book!.

All other Community Rules apply in this and all other forums.
geo

2C - MOD & GOLD
pets endangered by possible book avalanche
United States of America

Unread post

Oh, by the way, the Hubble telescope just captured some amazing new images, including this one called Arp 87 . . .

click to embiggen

Arp 87 is a stunning pair of interacting galaxies. Stars, gas, and dust flow from the large spiral galaxy, NGC 3808, forming an enveloping arm around its companion. The shapes of both galaxies have been distorted by their gravitational interaction. Arp 87 is located in the constellation of Leo, the Lion, approximately 300 million light-years away from Earth. Arp 87 appears in Arp's Atlas of Peculiar Galaxies. As also seen in similar interacting galaxies, the corkscrew shape of the tidal material suggests that some stars and gas drawn from the larger galaxy have been caught in the gravitational pull of the smaller one.

Huh, that 300 million light-years must be wrong. The earth is 6,000 years old, so the light hasn't had time to reach us yet. Probably a government conspiracy then. Maybe the Devil's work.

Some more government-conspiracized photos . . .

Space photos
-Geo
Question everything
johnson1010
Tenured Professor

Unread post

Why is it that the word melt in your source is continually in quotation marks? That's because snails do not melt. They dehydrate.

Are raisons "melted" grapes?

The slimy solution that encapsolates a snail exposed to salt is composed of the salt and all the moisture it drained from the snail through osmosis. The snail is a dried husk.

No melting involved.

Melting is when a solid liquifies due to temperature changes, such as when ice turns to water, or what happens to rock when it becomes magma.
In the absence of God, I found Man.
-Guillermo Del Torro

Are you pushing your own short comings on us and safely hating them from a distance?

Is this the virtue of faith? To never change your mind: especially when you should?

Young Earth Creationists take offense at the idea that we have a common heritage with other animals. Why is being the descendant of a mud golem any better?
johnson1010
Tenured Professor

Unread post

you could call lightning "the fires of Zeus" if you wanted to. But lightning isnt fire, it' electricity.

The writers of the bible called what happens to a snail "melting" because they didnt know any better.

Tribal mystics can be forgiven this oversight, but not an omniscient god.
-Guillermo Del Torro

Are you pushing your own short comings on us and safely hating them from a distance?

Is this the virtue of faith? To never change your mind: especially when you should?

Young Earth Creationists take offense at the idea that we have a common heritage with other animals. Why is being the descendant of a mud golem any better?
johnson1010
Tenured Professor

Unread post

Geo,

check this link. The Milky way may be on a collision course with the Andromeda Galaxy.

http://www.haydenplanetarium.org/resour ... 01andmilwy
-Guillermo Del Torro

johnson1010
Tenured Professor

Unread post

Frank, Star.

Look for World War Z to be coming out in theatres over the next year or so. It will be excellent, if they stick to their source material.

I highly recommend the book.

http://www.amazon.com/World-War-Oral-Hi ... 0307346609
-Guillermo Del Torro

geo

2C - MOD & GOLD
United States of America

Unread post

johnson1010 wrote:Geo,

check this link. The Milky way may be on a collision course with the Andromeda Galaxy.
Thanks. It turns out the universe is a pretty interesting place.
-Geo
Question everything
Robert Tulip

2B - MOD & SILVER
BookTalk.org Hall of Fame
Australia

Unread post

Stahrwe, for all your fine comments, I can't get past the stumbling block of young earth creationism, which you endorsed. If you call yourself a Christian you should bear witness to the truth, as Jesus famously said to Pilate. Darwinian evolution is a correct explanation of the history of our planet. Clearly, to sustain Christianity we need a new reformation, bringing faith in accord with science. A commitment to wholeness and integrity - the essence of Calvin's understanding of salvation by grace through faith - requires that faith learn from modern thought and not seek to retain outmoded views. Robert
Frank 013
Worthy of Worship

Unread post

Robert1010
Look for World War Z to be coming out in theatres over the next year or so. It will be excellent, if they stick to their source material.
That is funny... I just bought the Max Brooks book the zombie survival guide! World war Z might be my next fiction buy!

Later
That which can be asserted without evidence can be dismissed without evidence.
stahrwe

1I - PLATINUM CONTIBUTOR

Unread post

My son just bought thd Zombie Survival Guide and spent a good part of the weekend reading it. Someone needs to write a definitive guide to Zombies. I thought, Zombies only went after humans, but according to the book that is not true. I also watched an old Zombie movie, with Tina Farrow, where a zombie attached and killed a tiger shark underwater.
johnson1010
Tenured Professor

Unread post

that sounds awesome.

World war Z recounts a ten year war of attrition with a zombie epidemic. There are multiple accounts from different people, from different parts of the planet that tell the story beginning to end. One acocunt talks about a woman who had to eject from her plane over wilderness. She came across a giant aligator that had been stripped clean by zombies. She was freaked out thinking about how many zombies would have had to pile onto it and wear it down.

It is a very good read, IMO.
-Guillermo Del Torro

Return to “Religion & Philosophy”