• In total there are 5 users online :: 0 registered, 0 hidden and 5 guests (based on users active over the past 60 minutes)
    Most users ever online was 616 on Thu Jan 18, 2024 7:47 pm

Coronavirus

Engage in discussions encompassing themes like cosmology, human evolution, genetic engineering, earth science, climate change, artificial intelligence, psychology, and beyond in this forum.
Forum rules
Do not promote books in this forum. Instead, promote your books in either Authors: Tell us about your FICTION book! or Authors: Tell us about your NON-FICTION book!.

All other Community Rules apply in this and all other forums.
KindaSkolarly

1E - BANNED
Doctorate

Re: Coronavirus

Unread post

Why You Can Not Kill a Virus
youtube.com/watch?v=EADzWlbSdVM&fea ... e=youtu.be

A good video about vitamins/minerals. 5 minutes. First half explains mechanism of viruses, second half talks about Vitamin D, Zinc & Selenium. We already take Vit D3, and we get selenium through foods. We've added 25mg of zinc per day.

The zinc prevents viruses from replicating inside your cells, but it can't pass through cell walls. Chloroquine helps it do that. So does quercetin. It comes in supplement form, but we figure we get enough through diet.

Michael Savage talked about quercetin on his show yesterday (3/30/20).

tunein.com/podcasts/Conservative-Talk/T ... =140818176

He's got degrees in biology, botany and whatnot. At about 52:00 he talks about quercetin. We eat enough of the foods he mentions (dark fruits, capers, olive oil), that we won't take quercetin as a supplement. But with the foods and the new zinc supplement, we should be better protected against viral infection now. ALL viruses. And all we had to do was add 25mg of cheap zinc to our daily intake.

It's worth looking into folks.
ant

1G - SILVER CONTRIBUTOR
BookTalk.org Hall of Fame

Unread post

Please tell me you aren't advocating some sort of protective measure that essentially advises to "pop a zinc pill and go about your business during this pandemic"
geo

2C - MOD & GOLD
pets endangered by possible book avalanche
United States of America

Unread post

ant wrote:Each state should have discretion though I'd think.
This is especially true when the POTUS is incompetent, right? Fortunately, Maryland's governor Larry Hogan is doing a great job. He's definitely being more proactive than what is coming from the feds. Our nation desperately wants a good leader, but Trump ain't it.

My wife has very Coronavirus-like symptoms. She said last night that she felt very cold and it turns out she has a low-grade fever and is starting to feel lethargic. We've been very good at not going out, but we went to the grocery store once last week and again on Monday. She and I are both healthy. The plan is to just stay home until she gets better. No need to get tested unless one of us starts having serious symptoms.
-Geo
Question everything
ant

1G - SILVER CONTRIBUTOR

Unread post

Did you take some of the recommended precautions before you went out to the store?

Damn, here's hoping for the best.. The odds are in your favor though.
LanDroid

2A - MOD & BRONZE
Comandante Literario Supreme
United States of America

Unread post

After 2 weeks of working from home, I go back to work on Monday. I am not happy about interacting with 20 - 50 people in a manufacturing plant. Not sure I can quite afford to resign and retire, but I also don't want to bring death home to my asthmatic wife. I take zinc & Vit D and trying to find someone to sew a mask or two, but all that won't cut it. I can't imagine what grocery store cashiers or nurses at Covid hospitals are going through.
ant

1G - SILVER CONTRIBUTOR

Unread post

I too have been worried about my history of asthma. For the most part my asthma was essentially allergy related and something I "outgrew" as an adult. I know there are different grades of asthma based on the layman research I did over the past few weeks when this all hit the fan.
I know some people live with it on a weekly basis and have prescribed inhalers. That seems much more severe than what I have experienced in my lifetime.

Nevertheless I still am really concerned about the severity of this virus, as it is known to have the potential to completely blow up respiratory systems. That's incredibly scary.

I too would be worried about going back to work. So far I've been very fortunate and have been able to work from home.
I've been given clearance by my superiors to stay home "until this all blows over"

Good fortune to you. This is some scary shit. The only thing that's kept me from constantly being in a vicious mental circle of fear is my attempt to always try to keep in mind that so much of the data we see regularly on the internet lacks data context.
I keep telling myself that as long as I remain self quarantined as much as I can and perform the necessary frequent hand-washing, etc, the odds are that I likely won't catch this devil.
Robert Tulip

2B - MOD & SILVER
Australia

Unread post

Interbane wrote:it blew my mind to see these people I know walking right up to me, face to face, to have happy discussions. Naturally, I backed up a bit, and they scowled at me.

To some people, it's a challenge. They demand to know who's taking this stupidity seriously. They want to know if you're one of the crazies. And I'm not sure what to think...

Sorry for the offense, but the people who've done this are Republicans. I know... I live in a town of 3 thousand. It shouldn't be political, but for some strange reason, the memetics of this are entrenched based on political affiliation.

If this flattens and halts in the next day or two, I'm going to be a die-hard republican. because there's something with the math that I'm missing.

Is Trump stupid? Are Republicans stupid? What am I missing? Are the internet algorithms preventing me from seeing the stupidity of Democrats? I see all the hatred from both sides and dig deep, and it's always the Republican side that I disagree with... I'm uncertain as always.
Chris O'Connor was saying that Fox kept up the "hoax" line for long enough that many of its viewers, often older Republicans who are at high risk, took that as their gospel faith. The right wing dream of liberty involves a big injection of fantasy which confers immunity to the intrusion of facts.

In case you are not totally terrified of this virus, read this description of what it is like living with someone who was fairly young and fit (56yo) but is not quite bad enough to go to hospital.

This report explains why you should wear a mask.
Last edited by Robert Tulip on Thu Apr 02, 2020 1:14 am, edited 1 time in total.
geo

2C - MOD & GOLD
pets endangered by possible book avalanche
United States of America

Unread post

ant wrote:Did you take some of the recommended precautions before you went out to the store?
Grocery shopping last week, we we made sure not to touch our faces and washed our hands when we got home. We also had hand sanitizer in the car. On Monday, we wore gloves (though almost no one else was wearing protective anything). We also transferred all of our groceries to our own bags and discarded the plastic bags and gloves before getting in the car, then used hand sanitizer. So we were careful, but perhaps too little too late. If five days is the average incubation period, my wife was likely exposed last week, not this past Monday.

We're self-quarantined now, but if we were to go out again we would wear something protective over our faces in addition to the measures described above. I can't be sure that my wife has coronavirus or not, but with a fever that is our assumption. It spiked yesterday at 101.9 and she started taking Tylenol. Though I have certainly been exposed I'm still taking great care to wash my hands a lot and not touch my face. Because it's quite possible the amount of exposure to coronavirus matters a great deal.

https://www.nytimes.com/2020/04/01/opin ... e=Homepage

I agree, this shit is pretty scary. Stay home for as long as possible.
-Geo
Question everything
DWill

1H - GOLD CONTRIBUTOR

Unread post

Adam Schiff wants to convene a 9/11-type inquiry after the virus has run its course. This would be a total-level exam of the response of the government and agencies--of Trump, Congress, and agencies responsible for preparedness. It's a good idea to not to get into recriminations now. Fight the virus first. From what I've read, we need to go back pre-Trump to get to the real roots of the deterioration of government infrastructure. Maybe a dose of humility will do us good. Other governments were much better than we were. Let's learn from them.
ant

1G - SILVER CONTRIBUTOR

Unread post

In other news:

I noticed that Amazon has removed reviews of hand sanitizers. Not that they're easy to order, but I've been monitoring the stock closely.

is this just what i'm seeing or wtf? They're used to be lots of reviews and the ingredients were also available to look at.

Return to “Science & Technology”