• In total there are 2 users online :: 0 registered, 0 hidden and 2 guests (based on users active over the past 60 minutes)
    Most users ever online was 871 on Fri Apr 19, 2024 12:00 am

Constructive Criticism required please

An open-minded and nonjudgmental place for sharing your personal writing, seeking feedback, and reading and discussing the writing of your fellow members.
Forum rules
Do not promote books in this forum. Instead, promote your books in either Authors: Tell us about your FICTION book! or Authors: Tell us about your NON-FICTION book!.

All other Community Rules apply in this and all other forums.
suall
Official Newbie!

Constructive Criticism required please

Unread post

Hi folks.

I have written a book, Soul Survivor, and would appreciate some feedback. I have posted the first three chapters at: http://www.wattpad.com/18302248-soul-saviour?d=ud

It is a psychological thriller/crime.

Kind regards
Suall
Interbane

1G - SILVER CONTRIBUTOR
BookTalk.org Hall of Fame
United States of America

Re: Constructive Criticism required please

Unread post

You lack a narrative hook. The initial sentence or two needs to be more than a generic couple on the grass. That flirts with cliche. It should be oblique and resonant.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Narrative_hook

Also, a vast amount of your content is description or narrative summary, and you have very little immediate scene. Immediate scene should be the majority. Ideally, all the background you're hoping to convey should be artfully scattered throughout the immediate scene.

http://lighthouse-writing-tips.blogspot ... scene.html

For example, if you want to convey the criteria of David's selection process, segue from a description of him. Paint him as an older man, then seque into the heart attack. Jump back to immediate scene with dialogue or action, then seque into explaining how he'd changed after his heart attack. Immediate scene should be dominant, interspersed by narration.
In the beginning the Universe was created. This has made a lot of people very angry and has been widely regarded as a bad move.” - Douglas Adams
shuart24
Almost Comfortable

Re: Constructive Criticism required please

Unread post

I think you need more practice and revision because as it stands now it's pretty dense. There's no action here whatsoever. And by action I don't mean car chases and explosions but a character taking charge. A thriller/crime needs the energy that active words bring. Even description relies upon active words.

My challenge to you: rewrite the first scene without any helping words like "could have" "have" "had" and such. Only use the simple present or past tense without repeating sentences. You'll be able to see how these words become writing crutches by inexperienced writers.

Return to “Creative Writing”