• In total there are 0 users online :: 0 registered, 0 hidden and 0 guests (based on users active over the past 60 minutes)
    Most users ever online was 616 on Thu Jan 18, 2024 7:47 pm

Computer Usage

Engage in discussions encompassing themes like cosmology, human evolution, genetic engineering, earth science, climate change, artificial intelligence, psychology, and beyond in this forum.
Forum rules
Do not promote books in this forum. Instead, promote your books in either Authors: Tell us about your FICTION book! or Authors: Tell us about your NON-FICTION book!.

All other Community Rules apply in this and all other forums.
marti1900

Computer Usage

Unread post

Mad's post about his candles reminded me of this fact: a computer left on all the time burns about as much electricity as three light bulbs. Our main computer setup includes a surge protector with it's little red light, a power strip, with it's little red light, a printer, with it's little green light, all glowing merrily.We shut down completely the computer each night, but the rest of the stuff stays plugged in and glowing, keeping the electric company in business.I am wondering how many of you turn on your home computers in the morning and leave them on all day (and maybe all night)? We have two other laptops which we also use, but one is turned on only when in actual use, usually on in the evening, and the other is used for a couple of hours in the AM, and then turned off completely.What's the situation in your households?Marti in Mexico
Chris OConnor

1A - OWNER
BookTalk.org Hall of Fame
United States of America

Re: Computer Usage

Unread post

I leave mine on for days on end.
Mr. P

1F - BRONZE CONTRIBUTOR
Has Plan to Save Books During Fire

Unread post

I never really shut mine down. Shutting down is actually not good for the computer in the long run. Mr. P. The one thing of which I am positive is that there is much of which to be negative - Mr. P.The pain in hell has two sides. The kind you can touch with your hand; the kind you can feel in your heart...Scorsese's "Mean Streets"I came to kick ass and chew Bubble Gum...and I am all out of Bubble Gum - They Live, Roddy Piper
MadArchitect

1E - BANNED
The Pope of Literature

Unread post

marti1900: I am wondering how many of you turn on your home computers in the morning and leave them on all day (and maybe all night)?I used to -- a former roommate assured me that it didn't burn much energy so long as the computer was in sleep mode, but the energy bill that prompted me to start using more candles also prompted me to start shutting my computer down whenever I'm not using it. And since I do most of my internet work at the public library, I usually only use my home computer about two to three times a week.But what I've been thinking about lately are all those other electronics that stay on in a dormant mode when not in use. Basically any appliance that uses a remote control, for instance, has to stay on even when it is technically off. My TV, my stereo, my VCR and DVD players -- those are all on nearly all the time. My DVD player is probably the most economical of the bunch, since it has a standby mode and a full off mode, but even then there's a little red light by the power button that stays on. Granted, that's probably not burning much electricity, but it isn't energy that I need to be using at all.
tarav

1F - BRONZE CONTRIBUTOR
Genuinely Genius

Unread post

I turn mine on when I get in from work and shut it down about 2 hours later when I'm finished checking my email and reading/posting on BookTalk. On Thursdays I will leave it on till after I chat. Also, when I first started teaching, we were told to leave the computers on at all times. Now we shut them down at the end of every day.
TimeForABaby

Unread post

Yikes - never thought about it. We leave 2-3 computers on all day sometimes. (Yes - we have too many computers - but we're from Silicon Valley & every household needs at least 3-4 computers you know). My husband's computer is on 24/7 because he is always either downloading or rendering stuff - he does a lot of video work.Our energy bills are pretty low so never thoguht they were using much energy. Something to consider... Thanks for enlightening us. Edited by: Chris OConnor  at: 9/21/05 7:25 pm
0Lion0Eyes0

Unread post

yikes - that was me logged intp the wrong ezboard account. Sorry!

Return to “Science & Technology”