• In total there are 4 users online :: 1 registered, 0 hidden and 3 guests (based on users active over the past 60 minutes)
    Most users ever online was 616 on Thu Jan 18, 2024 7:47 pm

Colloquialism: "toys in the attic"!

The perfect space for valuable discussions that may not neatly fit within the other forums.
Forum rules
Do not promote books in this forum. Instead, promote your books in either Authors: Tell us about your FICTION book! or Authors: Tell us about your NON-FICTION book!.

All other Community Rules apply in this and all other forums.
MonsterDick

Colloquialism: "toys in the attic"!

Unread post

Hi all!! I did a google on the expression "toys in the attic" after reading an article on and listening to the famous Aerosmith song and found: " a dumb person or thing, not smart"! Is this the real meaning of this colloquialism?!! Rob
marti1900

Re: Colloquialism: "toys in the attic"!

Unread post

I've never heard it used as anything but a reference to nostalgia, or having to do with the past, perhaps as an analogy to previous thoughts or situations that have been put away as one moves on in life.I wouldn't use rock music lyrics as my standard for higher thought.Marti in Mexico
MonsterDick

Unread post

www.jewelrymakinghq.com/q...ayings.htmSorry, I was just asking for a simple piece of info.!First of all, "toys in the attic" has nothing to do with rock music at all...my reference to Aerosmith (very good musicians at that) is purely coincidental and was not meant to link "toys in the attic" to any form of ART (be it rock music or techno!). It is only a colloquialism: ku'lowkeweeu'lizum [n] a colloquial expression; characteristic of spoken or written communication that seeks to imitate informal speech, an expression, a local or regional dialect expression.The link above may help you to help me!!Thanx for your time anyway, I appreciate it Rob
Timothy Schoonover

Unread post

Quote:I wouldn't use rock music lyrics as my standard for higher thought.You're not listening to the right kind of rock music. New thought originates in the realm of art, generally moves to philosophy and is finally "discovered" through science. They are coterminally connected. Art is the incubation stage of science, although it's rarely recognized as such, and every true scientist is also an artist.To me toys in the attic is a metaphor that suggests a person's mind is still encumbered with the baggage of youth. Of course, the context means everything, however.
MonsterDick

Closest bet!

Unread post

That's getting closer to what I always knew was the meaning of this expression..............Rob
MonsterDick

Re: Closest bet!

Unread post

Tim, I'd like to know your idea (or THE idea) of rock music, but pls don't classify it into "good" and "bad" music! Edited by: MonsterDick at: 5/28/05 4:58 pm
badmendicant

Unread post

Timothy, that's a brilliant observation. What inspired you to come to this conclusion? It seems to resonate with Goethe's assertion that "coming events cast their shadows before them".
Timothy Schoonover

Unread post

I can't really take credit for that, although I can't remember where I heard it.
badmendicant

Unread post

Tim you were at least smart enough to realize it's significance.You can extrapolate beyond this initial hypothesis in many interesting ways. Incubation as art, formalization as philosophy, ossification into politics and finally degeneration back into popular culture in a repeating cycle.Emotional expression of ideas, rationalization of emotional impulses, intellectual validation of rationalizations, stagnation into dogma, and so on, in a self repeating Vichean cycle.I think the best thing about your idea is that it vindicates an instinctive belief that seemingly trivial phenomenon are the visible manifestation of powerful hidden currents of social change."So much depends on the red wheelbarrow"

Return to “Everything Else”