• In total there is 1 user online :: 0 registered, 0 hidden and 1 guest (based on users active over the past 60 minutes)
    Most users ever online was 616 on Thu Jan 18, 2024 7:47 pm

Christianity

A forum dedicated to friendly and civil conversations about domestic and global politics, history, and present-day events.
Forum rules
Do not promote books in this forum. Instead, promote your books in either Authors: Tell us about your FICTION book! or Authors: Tell us about your NON-FICTION book!.

All other Community Rules apply in this and all other forums.
Ken Hemingway

Christianity

Unread post

Paul Krugman in today's NYTimes recites the evidence that the religious right is winning its battle to take over the country: nytimes.com/2005/03/29/op...an.html?hpAn extract:Another thing that's going on is the rise of politicians willing to violate the spirit of the law, if not yet the letter, to cater to the religious right. Everyone knows about the attempt to circumvent the courts through "Terri's law." But there has been little national exposure for a Miami Herald report that Jeb Bush sent state law enforcement agents to seize Terri Schiavo from the hospice - a plan called off when local police said they would enforce the judge's order that she remain there. And the future seems all too likely to bring more intimidation in the name of God and more political intervention that undermines the rule of law.The religious right is already having a big impact on education: 31 percent of teachers surveyed by the National Science Teachers Association feel pressured to present creationism-related material in the classroom.
Mr. P

1F - BRONZE CONTRIBUTOR
Has Plan to Save Books During Fire

Re: Christianity

Unread post

Not amusing.Any thoughts on what would happen if Christian based laws and morals are forced on our society?Mr. P. The one thing of which I am positive is that there is much of which to be negative - Mr. P.The pain in hell has two sides. The kind you can touch with your hand; the kind you can feel in your heart...Scorsese's "Mean Streets"I came to kick ass and chew Bubble Gum...and I am all out of Bubble Gum - They Live, Roddy Piper
Loricat
Laughs at Einstein

Unread post

Look to Science Fiction for answers to the "What if" questions. Those authors have been experimenting with the myriad possibilities of the future for years.In this case, read "A Handmaid's Tale" by Margaret Atwood. Or rent the film...both disturbing.Lori "All beings are the owners of their deeds, the heirs to their deeds."
Kate Fremont

Unread post

Quote:Any thoughts on what would happen if Christian based laws and morals are forced on our society?Well, here's one example:The following is from a recent article, Pharmacists balk at filling some prescriptions because of beliefs, by Rob Stein in the Washington Post."WASHINGTON -- Some pharmacists around the country are refusing to fill prescriptions for birth control and morning-after pills, saying that dispensing the medications violates their personal moral or religious beliefs."The trend has opened a new front in the nation's battle over reproductive rights, sparking an intense debate over the competing rights of pharmacists to refuse to participate in something they consider repugnant vs. a woman's right to get medications her doctor has prescribed. It has triggered pitched political battles in State houses across the nation as politicians seek to pass laws either to protect pharmacists from being penalized or force them to carry out their duties...." 'There are pharmacists who will only give birth control pills to a woman if she's married. There are pharmacists who mistakenly believe contraception is a form of abortion and refuse to prescribe it to anyone," said Adam Sonfield of the Alan Guttmacher Institute in New York, which tracks reproductive issues. "There are even cases of pharmacists holding prescriptions hostage, where they won't even transfer it to another pharmacy when time is of the essence.' ..."...cases have been reported across the country, including in Massachusetts, California, Washington, Georgia, Texas, New Hampshire [groan], Ohio, and North Carolina. Advocates on both sides say the refusals appear to be spreading."Eleven states are considering 'conscience clause' laws that would protect pharmacists like Noesen. Four states have laws that specifically allow pharmacists to refuse to fill prescriptions that violate their beliefs. At the same time, at least four states are considering laws that would require pharmacists to fill all prescriptions...."
Mr. P

1F - BRONZE CONTRIBUTOR
Has Plan to Save Books During Fire

Unread post

ugh!I have seen this before. Sad.Mr. P. The one thing of which I am positive is that there is much of which to be negative - Mr. P.The pain in hell has two sides. The kind you can touch with your hand; the kind you can feel in your heart...Scorsese's "Mean Streets"I came to kick ass and chew Bubble Gum...and I am all out of Bubble Gum - They Live, Roddy Piper
Loricat
Laughs at Einstein

Unread post

Sad, yes, but also scary. L "All beings are the owners of their deeds, the heirs to their deeds."
Megaeraa

Unread post

I also thought of the _Handmaid's Tale_. Another possibility is Afghanistan under the Taliban. The details would be different but the spirit much the same, I fear. It's not so much about laws based on Christian vs. Islamic beliefs as the repressiveness of imposing the One Right Way to Live.-- Meg Edited by: Megaeraa at: 6/14/05 11:00 am
badmendicant

Unread post

So the Christians have issues with abortion and sexual promiscuity? Big deal! As recently as the fifties the moral ethos of American society was Christian. To compare nineteen fifties America to Afghanistan under the Taliban is just pathetic.I think what I am witnessing here is displacement of anger and let's face it, there's a lot to be angry about in modern America.It's not permissible to be angry about the behavior of certain enshrined minorities, either because of state protection or the disproportionately violent reaction of the minorities in question. It's so much easier to get angry at the Christians isn't it? Or at least it will be until Mexican catholics, who will not take any shit, become a majority.I never hear anyone referring religious Muslims as"Koran bashers", or to the Dar al Islam as, "the Koranic belt". The anger of cowardice is nauseating to behold.
Megaeraa

Unread post

Goodness, badmendicant, I'd *never* equate the US of the 50s with the Taliban! I'm perplexed that you made that connection. I was thinking more of Spain of the 15th century or, as I said, of the fictional US in _The Handmaid's Tale_.Misterpessimistic's question was about Christian-based laws and morals being *forced* on people. I interpreted that as meaning that police and government are used to impose these things. In the US of the 50s they were strongly encouraged, but there was freedom to do otherwise.-- Meg
badmendicant

Unread post

Sorry for being rude. I was just trying to float the idea that perhaps bible-belt Christians cop a lot of flak as much because they are tolerant of, and often bemused by, criticism in a way that other religious minorities aren't, rather than because of anything which is particularly bad about Christianity. Your post was lucid and pertinent.

Return to “Current Events & History”