• In total there are 2 users online :: 0 registered, 0 hidden and 2 guests (based on users active over the past 60 minutes)
    Most users ever online was 616 on Thu Jan 18, 2024 7:47 pm

Christian Voice dictate who is eligible to give to chairity

Engage in conversations about worldwide religions, cults, philosophy, atheism, freethought, critical thinking, and skepticism in this forum.
Forum rules
Do not promote books in this forum. Instead, promote your books in either Authors: Tell us about your FICTION book! or Authors: Tell us about your NON-FICTION book!.

All other Community Rules apply in this and all other forums.
CSflim

Christian Voice dictate who is eligible to give to chairity

Unread post

news.bbc.co.uk/1/hi/entertainment/tv_and_radio/4289915.stmQuote:Row over Springer opera donationA cancer charity has refused a donation from Jerry Springer - The Opera after a religious group threatened to protest.Maggie's Centres said Christian Voice's contact prompted it to reject
Mr. P

1F - BRONZE CONTRIBUTOR
Has Plan to Save Books During Fire

Re: Christian Voice dictate who is eligible to give to chair

Unread post

Good.Cutting of the nose to spite the face is exactly what Christians do.Is there not a secular charity fighting cancer?Mr. P. The one thing of which I am positive is that there is much of which to be negative - Mr. P.I came to get down, I came to get down. So get out ya seat and jump around - House of PainHEY! Is that a ball in your court? - Mr. PI came to kick ass and chew Bubble Gum...and I am all out of Bubble Gum - They Live, Roddy Piper
MadArchitect

1E - BANNED
The Pope of Literature

Unread post

According to CS's post, Maggie's is a secular organization.This is a pretty reprehensible example of a group attempting to use one platform in order to push an ethical and cultural agenda. One of the disappointing tendencies in contemporary religious organizations is that towards making its support of causes contingent on a tacit admittance of loyalty. Maggie's has basically admitted a willingness to conform to Christian Voice's cultural agenda in order to maintain the influx of contributions from a certain demographic (and it seems likely that said demographic is limited mostly to Christian Voice's readership itself).We could, incidentally, tie this instance back to Karen Armstrong's suggestion in "The Battle for God" that modern fundamentalist religious groups have assumed "progressive" tactics in their attempt to guard fundamental values. You see these sorts of strong arm tactics in secular industries all the time -- it's an off-shoot of capitalistic practice, specifically the emphasis placed on investment as a form of influence and power. What's particularly disheartening in this case is that it has been applied to a charitable organization, forcing the organization to make a choice based on an uncertain prediction as to where more money is likely to come from in the future. Sad stuff, and not very becoming of a publication presumably interested in both ethics and the well-fare of the ill.Nor does it seem particularly well thought through. What does Christian Voice or Christianity as a religion stand to gain from this? How was "Jerry Springer -- the Opera" likely to profit from their donation? Can Christian Voice really feel triumphant that "Jerry Springer" won't be getting that particular tax break at the end of the year? Even compared to other right-wing Christian agendas, Christian Voice comes off looking particularly un-savvy in this dour little episode.
Mr. P

1F - BRONZE CONTRIBUTOR
Has Plan to Save Books During Fire

Unread post

OOH! Sorry...I thought the charity WAS Christian Voices...Even more annoying now that I realize that!Mr. P. The one thing of which I am positive is that there is much of which to be negative - Mr. P.I came to get down, I came to get down. So get out ya seat and jump around - House of PainHEY! Is that a ball in your court? - Mr. PI came to kick ass and chew Bubble Gum...and I am all out of Bubble Gum - They Live, Roddy Piper
Niall001
Stupendously Brilliant

Unread post

Would this be any different if the Springer Opera group were Nazis and the Christian group were Jewish? Let us agree, there is no one single reality. Not upon this stage, not in this world, all is in the mind... imagination is the only truth. Because it cannot be contradicted except by other imaginations - Richard MathesonThere are no conclusive indications by which waking life can be distinguished from sleep - Rene Descartes
MadArchitect

1E - BANNED
The Pope of Literature

Unread post

Niall001: Would this be any different if the Springer Opera group were Nazis and the Christian group were Jewish?Given that neither Jerry Springer nor the Springer Opera have advocate or actually participated in the deaths of millions of Christians, I'm going to say yes: very different.
Niall001
Stupendously Brilliant

Unread post

Well, I was making a reference to neo-nazi types, like say the BNP. They haven't actually killed anyone as far as I know, but their views offend many people and they would especially offend Jewish people. Personally, I don't like what has happened, but its charity. I don't want it regulated by governments in any serious way. I think that there are probably circumstances under which I would refuse a donation if I did not like the source and perhaps even a circumstance under which I would attempt encourage other groups to refuse donations from groups which whose agendas I oppossed. Let us agree, there is no one single reality. Not upon this stage, not in this world, all is in the mind... imagination is the only truth. Because it cannot be contradicted except by other imaginations - Richard MathesonThere are no conclusive indications by which waking life can be distinguished from sleep - Rene Descartes

Return to “Religion & Philosophy”