Online reading group and book discussion forum
  HOME ENTER FORUMS OUR BOOKS LINKS DONATE ADVERTISE CONTACT  
View unanswered posts | View active topics It is currently Sun Jul 21, 2019 6:07 am

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 12 posts ] • Topic evaluate: Evaluations: 0, 0.00 on the average.Evaluations: 0, 0.00 on the average.Evaluations: 0, 0.00 on the average.Evaluations: 0, 0.00 on the average.Evaluations: 0, 0.00 on the average. 
Chapters 06 - 10: Soul Identity 
Years of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membership
BookTalk.org Hall of Fame

BookTalk.org Owner
Diamond Contributor 3

Please use this thread to discuss Chapters 06 - 10: Soul Identity.

Wed Feb 10, 2016 4:22 pm
Profile Email WWW
Years of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membership
Better Thread Count than Your Best Linens

Gold Contributor

Post Re: Chapters 06 - 10: Soul Identity
So we arrive at HQ, start to meet some other interesting people, like the assistant, Brian, and Elizabeth, Bob's gf and Ann's (who?) daughter. It is setting up like a mystery novel alright the care taking couple, the beautiful employee (s) the old CEO, all we need is a sleuth....

I like this story, I blew right through all of these chapters, and next thing I know I am somewhere around chapter 14, and I have to go back and look because I am supposed to be discussing this.

So I am going to ask the obvious question: If, somehow, your soul could really be identified, and then re-identified later for another incarnation, what would you leave for yourself, and what would you tell yourself?

"I'm not insane, my mother had me tested"

Si vis pacem, para bellum: If you wish for peace, prepare for war.

The following user would like to thank froglipz for this post:
youkrst
Sun Feb 14, 2016 2:47 am
Profile Email
Years of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membership
One with Books

Silver Contributor

froglipz wrote:
I like this story, I blew right through all of these chapters, and next thing I know I am somewhere around chapter 14, and I have to go back and look because I am supposed to be discussing this.

exactly the same here, Dennis' writing slides down like a good single malt, i find the book strangely easy to read, in a good way.

froglipz wrote:
If, somehow, your soul could really be identified, and then re-identified later for another incarnation, what would you leave for yourself, and what would you tell yourself?

that question is so good i'll have to answer it when i have more time, but answer it we all should in one way or another.

Sun Feb 14, 2016 3:25 am
Profile Email
Years of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membership
Almost Awesome

Platinum Contributor

froglipz wrote:
So we arrive at HQ, start to meet some other interesting people, like the assistant, Brian, and Elizabeth, Bob's gf and Ann's (who?) daughter. It is setting up like a mystery novel alright the care taking couple, the beautiful employee (s) the old CEO, all we need is a sleuth....

So I am going to ask the obvious question: If, somehow, your soul could really be identified, and then re-identified later for another incarnation, what would you leave for yourself, and what would you tell yourself?

This is a good question, but is it really 'yourself', its actually your 'soul' and you don't know what physical body your soul would inhabit ... could be a cow, so what would be the point of leaving the Maserati to a cow? :) If you were identified as a person, however, I suppose you would tell the 'new you' who the people are in the world that you love. Of course, given that you are a new person, why would you love the same people and why would they love you ... ? :shock:

Sun Feb 14, 2016 12:44 pm
Years of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membership

Gold Contributor

:lovers: Well, many people believe that love comes from the soul, so it is quite possible in my mind that one soul would very likely love another soul no matter what body each of them is inhabiting at the moment. :heart3: :(love): :heartpump: :heartpump:

In the book you will soon see his premise that souls in animals like the bluefish are not compatible with human souls so you could not become a cow, or a ladybug in the next life. People only become other people.

Sun Feb 14, 2016 6:40 pm
Profile Email
Years of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membership
One with Books

Silver Contributor

This book of Dennis's would make an excellent anime or "tales of the unexpected" kind of thing.

I find it dream like in many ways.

The following user would like to thank youkrst for this post:
froglipz
Sun Feb 14, 2016 10:54 pm
Profile Email
Years of membershipYears of membershipYears of membership
Official Newbie!

I whipped through 6-10+ pretty quickly as well. My problem is that other than the eye match and the leaving of "things" for a future self, there isn't much explanation as to what the "soul" is. It is like saying our fingerprints are our soul. There is no soul-like connection in the thread that I can sense. If I am going to write a story about the soul, it is going to be more than just a physical characteristic that allows me to get my stuff back. It's just not resonating with me in that regard, but I am about as un-materialistic as one can be, and so far there is nothing in the story that goes deeper than that. If I were to pass something of my soul from one skin bag to the next, I would want it to be life lessons, or how to better treat other earthlings, or even just how unimportant the "stuff" is. I would hope that my next skin bag was a little...just a little...less introverted, and maybe made much better relationship choices - ha! ;) I like the idea of body jumping better in "Touch" (even though I thought it was just a variation on her theme from "The First Fifteen Lives of Harry August," which I really liked). It is an easy/quick read though and I can't really fault the writing. I can't for the life of me figure out why he is so compulsive about the color thing, green and gold. I'm not getting it.

The following user would like to thank Leslie Edmonds for this post:
youkrst
Wed Feb 17, 2016 11:47 pm
Profile Email
One with Books

Silver Contributor

froglipz wrote:
If, somehow, your soul could really be identified, and then re-identified later for another incarnation, what would you leave for yourself, and what would you tell yourself?

in a way i thought of the many books written by so many people over the years that would be just like "words of advice" for young people.

to read a book is often in many ways a chance to gain from the wisdom of your fellow and former humans so to speak. many works of art by truth tellers, music books movies ideas etc, have been a major part of what saved me from being destroyed by lies that abound.

but you need to be aware enough to receive it and if you were that aware you might not need it.

but specifically i would have plenty of things to say, i wonder if i would listen, or even understand, i didn't start getting a clue till i was 44 or so, such was the wonderful job liars did on me, i wonder if i would comprehend a personal letter from my former completed self, i would need to use a lot of explanatory phrases for persuasion, or maybe knowing it was from a former me i might be more inclined to "take my word for it" though one of the pointers would surely be "don't take anyone's word for it, not even your own" :lol:

this letter would be very scary in some ways so maybe it would freak me out a bit, i would have to include the positive a lot to balance it up.

this is a very VERY deep question... i keep disappearing down a cosmic mental vortex, all's well that ends well :-D

and thanks :)

to all the major dudes and godesses that wrote a letter to future man, we owe you bigtime.

Must dash, I think that's my future former self on the phone :lol:

froglipz, Leslie Edmonds
Thu Feb 18, 2016 1:00 am
Profile Email

Gold Contributor

I would want to leave some money for myself, to make sure that the struggle to survive isn't one of the things my future self has to go through. I would like to think that I would give my past self's opinions more weight since I presumably believe that I am the future self of that particular soul. Of course, relevance comes into play. My '80's self might have said to invest in Walkman stock or leg warmers, and then where would my future self be? It would, of course be pointless to say "be more involved in the world". More involved than what or who? "Take less chances" once again, less than who? So I would have to go through books and leave a reading list, perhaps a list of deeds and accomplishments to achieve before receiving that trust money.

The following user would like to thank froglipz for this post:
youkrst
Thu Feb 18, 2016 9:32 pm
Profile Email
One with Books

Silver Contributor

:goodpost:

i must be mad, i keep hearing a voice in my head :x

it says

i am he who is, was and will be :wink:

froglipz
Fri Feb 19, 2016 3:07 am
Profile Email
Years of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membership
BookTalk.org Hall of Fame

Gold Contributor

Now having read just this thread you people are making me want to read the book.

The themes I am picking up on here are about the Platonic idea of the transmigration of souls. What this old idea suggests is that human energy is vastly more complex and mysterious than our current neurological understanding. Science is constantly discovering deep invisible secrets of the universe, and the nature of consciousness seems to be the most complex mystery of all.

So I think that survival of individual spiritual energy after death and rebirth in a new body could be possible, although my default belief is that personal character dissolves at death and the only way we continue to exist after death is through our influence on the world and the memory that others have of us.

But accepting the premise of transmigration, I would like to throw another wacky idea into the mix, namely the role of astrology as a signature identifier. I have a friend who is an astrologist, and we share an interest in the scientific analysis of evidence for astrology. One of the themes investigated by the great astrological statistician Michel Gauquelin was the inheritance of astrological patterns. My friend Greg mentioned to me that one of his personal signatures in his birth chart is that the planet Uranus was at the nadir, the position of the sun at midnight. What is interesting to him is that both of his children share this 1% trait, an event with random probability of about one in a million. Gauquelin maintained that such inherited planetary positions are common, something that seems to invite the hypothesis that the soul of the foetus chooses the time of day at which birth will most match its character, exhibiting a deep intuitive cosmic attunement.

The point here is that the positions of the planets at birth present a deeply personal signature. So if I wished to enter a new body after death in a way that would enable my soul to evolve further than its current state, I would choose a baby instinctively on the basis of planetary positions that best reflect my personality.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Metempsychosis states “Metempsychosis (Greek: μετεμψύχωσις) is a philosophical term in the Greek language referring to transmigration of the soul, especially its reincarnation after death. Generally, the term is only used within the context of Ancient Greek philosophy, but has also been used by modern philosophers such as Schopenhauer[2] and Kurt Gödel;[3] otherwise, the term "transmigration" is more appropriate. The word plays a prominent role in James Joyce's Ulysses, and is also associated with Nietzsche.[4] Another term sometimes used synonymously is palingenesia.”

https://www.gutenberg.org/files/7178/7178-h/7178-h.htm opens “For a long time I used to go to bed early. Sometimes, when I had put out my candle, my eyes would close so quickly that I had not even time to say "I'm going to sleep." And half an hour later the thought that it was time to go to sleep would awaken me; I would try to put away the book which, I imagined, was still in my hands, and to blow out the light; I had been thinking all the time, while I was asleep, of what I had just been reading, but my thoughts had run into a channel of their own, until I myself seemed actually to have become the subject of my book: a church, a quartet, the rivalry between François I and Charles V. This impression would persist for some moments after I was awake; it did not disturb my mind, but it lay like scales upon my eyes and prevented them from registering the fact that the candle was no longer burning. Then it would begin to seem unintelligible, as the thoughts of a former existence must be to a reincarnate spirit; the subject of my book would separate itself from me, leaving me free to choose whether I would form part of it or no; and at the same time my sight would return and I would be astonished to find myself in a state of darkness, pleasant and restful enough for the eyes, and even more, perhaps, for my mind, to which it appeared incomprehensible, without a cause, a matter dark indeed.”

The following user would like to thank Robert Tulip for this post:
froglipz
Fri Feb 19, 2016 9:33 am
Profile Email WWW

Gold Contributor

Robert, definitely join us in the book, it will be interesting to see your thoughts on various parts of this story. I can assure you it is a fast read, so it won't take up too much of your time.

I don't know that I can comment on any of that because we are then double dipping into areas I don't find believable, and my suspension just isn't that good :)

Sat Feb 20, 2016 8:49 pm
Profile Email
Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 12 posts ] • Topic evaluate: Evaluations: 0, 0.00 on the average.Evaluations: 0, 0.00 on the average.Evaluations: 0, 0.00 on the average.Evaluations: 0, 0.00 on the average.Evaluations: 0, 0.00 on the average.