Online reading group and book discussion forum
  HOME ENTER FORUMS OUR BOOKS LINKS DONATE ADVERTISE CONTACT  
View unanswered posts | View active topics It is currently Sun Dec 15, 2019 6:41 am

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 54 posts ] • Topic evaluate: Evaluations: 0, 0.00 on the average.Evaluations: 0, 0.00 on the average.Evaluations: 0, 0.00 on the average.Evaluations: 0, 0.00 on the average.Evaluations: 0, 0.00 on the average.  Go to page 1, 2, 3, 4  Next
Chapter 23: Maxwell and the nerds 
Years of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membership
BookTalk.org Hall of Fame

BookTalk.org Owner
Diamond Contributor 3

Please use this thread to discuss Chapter 23: Maxwell and the nerds.

Tue Jan 13, 2015 5:27 pm
Profile Email WWW
Years of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membership
pets endangered by possible book avalanche

Diamond Contributor

Post Re: Chapter 23: Maxwell and the nerds
What an odd chapter.

I was glad to see Sagan mention Maxwell. I think he was a genius at least at the level of Einstein but he lost out to Albert for a number of reasons: 1) The hair, 2) photography, 3) his equations seen't as sexy, & 4) he was a devout Christian, he even wrote a hymn or two.

Now Sagan did mention the Christianity bit but it was barely mentioned. That is hard to justify in a book that invests so much time beating up on Christians.

Sagan is a terrible salesman for super colliders. According to him they cost $ billions to build but have no practical application. They might help discover a TOE, but I already have a TOE. So, why should tax money be spent to find another one?

A better way is what happened a year ago. I was in a room full of potential investors being pitched by a consortium of universities who have a boatload of research results on different subjects which need capital to develop them to all kinds of practical applications. That's kind of the difference between Einstein and Maxwell too. Few things in our daily lives intersect with Relativity, at least in ways which Newton couldn't' t handle, but Maxwell's equations affect nearly everything in our daily lives.

where n are natural numbers.

Wed Feb 04, 2015 10:50 pm
Profile Email
Years of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membership

Diamond Contributor

As for the Nerds, I was at university on the cusp of the transition to the pocket calculator (yup Maxwell's equations) and away from slide-rules (that's how you spotted hard science students - nerds, then a slide rule hanging from their belt, and size did matter. The pocket protector and tapped glasses was gone by then but there were occasional exceptions - like the exceptionally creepy guy I saw hanging around the TRI-DELT house one morning. He had a pocket protector, a slide rule on his belt, a brief case with a sticker on it which read, "BEWARE OF QUANTUM DUCKS - QUARK -QUARK, and I would bet no date with one of the TRI-DELTS. They did not date mortals.

Wed Feb 04, 2015 11:02 pm
Profile Email
Years of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membership
One with Books

Silver Contributor

Quote:
in a book that invests so much time beating up on Christians.

Beating up on Christians, or beating up on aspects of Christian doctrine?

If a Hindu or an atheist discovered something first does it follow that a Christian could not have made the same discovery?

These are a couple of points that come to mind as I ponder your posts.

Thu Feb 05, 2015 7:20 am
Profile Email

Diamond Contributor

There is a prominent disdain against the metaphysical in D-HW but I was present when an unexplained phenomenon occurred. 1973, Gainesville, Florida, the Introductory Astronomy class would take a U of F van from campus to the observatory on Rosemary Hill. We met at the appointed time and the graduate student instructor, Andrew, unlocked the driver's door of the van. He then came around to unlock the passenger doors but he no longer had the key. A thorough search of the van, Andrew's person, and surrounding area including the area under the van was made but the keys were never found.

Last edited by stahrwe on Sun Mar 15, 2015 1:59 am, edited 1 time in total.

Thu Feb 05, 2015 9:50 am
Profile Email

Diamond Contributor

Fascinating man, great book.

Paul Dirac

Thu Feb 05, 2015 9:58 am
Profile Email
Years of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membership

Gold Contributor

stahrwe wrote:
Fascinating man, great book.

Paul Dirac

Thanks for the recommendation.
It looks really good.
I must add it to my list.

Thu Feb 05, 2015 10:56 am
Profile Email
Years of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membership

BookTalk.org Moderator
Gold Contributor

Stahrwe wrote:
There is a prominent disdain against the metaphysical in D-HW but I was present when an unexplained phenomenon occurred.

If it's unexplained, why do you present it as if it were supernatural?

Thu Feb 05, 2015 10:59 am

Diamond Contributor

I did not use the word supernatural. I said metaphysical.
I used that word for the reason that the keys were present on the scene.
PROOF
I arrived before Andrew and tried all the van's doors . They were all locked.
Other students arrived before Andrew but after me and also tried the doors. They were locked.
Andrew arrived and unlocked the driver's door.
He opened the door and left it open so the van' s interior lights were on.

He came around the front of the van but he no longer had the keys.

I have no rational explanation for what happened to the keys. To me that qualifies as a metaphysical experience.

Thu Feb 05, 2015 11:12 am
Profile Email
Years of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membership

BookTalk.org Moderator
Gold Contributor

Stahrwe wrote:
I did not use the word supernatural. I said metaphysical.

I see nothing wrong with the word metaphysical, although Sagan might use the word differently. The patterns created by physical things are metaphysical, which is the basis of information. Metaphysical naturalism is based on this connotation.

Stahrwe wrote:
I have no rational explanation for what happened to the keys. To me that qualifies as a metaphysical experience.

I guess I can't glean what you're trying to say when you use the word, since it does have various meanings. Experience is metaphysical in a sense, being more about the interaction of matter than matter itself. It's quite another thing to claim the event is supernatural, but you said that's not the case.

Thu Feb 05, 2015 11:29 am

Gold Contributor

Sagan wrote:

Quote:
The fascination with this enterprise (SETI) is broad and enduring, and for very good reason. And far from being too expensive, the program would ave cost about on attack helicopter per year.

Good point, Carl.

One Boeing AH-64 Apache helicopter costs roughly 35.5 million dollars.

If we directed that money to international aid programs like clean water or doctors without borders instead of trying to ease drop on ET, how many lives could be saved each year?

Public funding SETI is no longer an issue. But you get my point. Because an enterprise is fascinating, it doesn't automatically mean it's a justified expense.

Last edited by ant on Fri Mar 06, 2015 11:09 am, edited 1 time in total.

Fri Mar 06, 2015 11:08 am
Profile Email

BookTalk.org Moderator
Gold Contributor

ant wrote:
If we directed that money to international aid programs like clean water or doctors without borders instead of trying to ease drop on ET, how many lives could be saved each year?

Public funding SETI is no longer an issue. But you get my point. Because an enterprise is fascinating, it doesn't automatically mean it's a justified expense.

Just to play devil's advocate, what if overpopulation is what dooms mankind? In hindsight, the best way to spend money isn't necessarily on saving lives, but preventing pregnancies. Perhaps there is a solution to some of these issues in the knowledge pool of ET. Just because something appears to be a justified expense doesn't mean it's a justified expense. How do you prove justification?

The following user would like to thank Interbane for this post:
ant
Fri Mar 06, 2015 11:15 am

Gold Contributor

Quote:
Perhaps our descendants will look back on our time and marvel at us - possessed of the technology to detect other beings, but closing our ears because we insisted on spending wealth to protect us from an enemy that no longer exists

Carl Sagan.

Carl was speaking about US military expenditures, post Cold War.
What I'm going to nitpick Sagan (the scientist) on is the first part of his quote.

There was ZERO evidence we possessed adequate technology to detect intelligent alien civilizations in Sagan's time, and there is ZERO evidence we have the appropriate technological capabilities in the present. Therefore, it can't be said then or now that we are "closing our ears."

I love the idea of SETI. Carl seems to have trouble grounding himself scientifically when talking about SETI.
This is not meant as an insult - but it truly seems, with this type of talk, that SETI is like a religion to Carl.

Fri Mar 06, 2015 11:23 am
Profile Email

Gold Contributor

Quote:
Just to play devil's advocate, what if overpopulation is what dooms mankind? In hindsight, the best way to spend money isn't necessarily on saving lives, but preventing pregnancies.

Coincidentally I thought of that very same thing the moment I clicked "submit"

It's a good devil's advocate question. I thought of it because I've been training myself to play DA with myself more often.

I'm uncertain of the truth that overpopulation is a real problem that comes with the serious consequences we often hear about. Maybe to a certain extent, but not close to the gloom and doom, apocalyptic scenarios.

China's concern with overpopulation caused them to limit the amount of pregnancies. An unintended consequence is now a serious concern with an aging populace and a future shortage of man power to care for the elderly while maintaining an enormous economic engine.

I'm not convinced there's not enough resources to go around. Considering the enormous wealth/poverty discrepancies we often hear about, an argument can be made that it's a hoarding and not a shortage of resources (present or future) that's really the issue here.
Not possible to invest in saving lives while resources and wealth continue to be hoarded?
Where's the empathy here?

Of course its harder to be empathetic when one million people are a few thousand miles away from you and aren't starving in front of your face.
When it's closer to home, empathy becomes easier to practice.

Fri Mar 06, 2015 11:47 am
Profile Email

Diamond Contributor

There are two aspects regarding over population.

1) it is unlikely that overpopulation will doom mankind. If and when population exceeds resources, limiting factors will reduce the population.

2) even if intelligent life exists and travels in space how are we to assume that they would save humans as opposed to serving them ala
To Serve Mankind

Fri Mar 06, 2015 11:58 am
Profile Email
Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 54 posts ] • Topic evaluate: Evaluations: 0, 0.00 on the average.Evaluations: 0, 0.00 on the average.Evaluations: 0, 0.00 on the average.Evaluations: 0, 0.00 on the average.Evaluations: 0, 0.00 on the average.  Go to page 1, 2, 3, 4  Next