• In total there are 9 users online :: 0 registered, 0 hidden and 9 guests (based on users active over the past 60 minutes)
    Most users ever online was 789 on Tue Mar 19, 2024 5:08 am

Ch. 14 - Humanity's Gain from Unbelief (1889)

#7: Mar. - Apr. 2003 (Non-Fiction)
Chris OConnor

1A - OWNER
BookTalk.org Hall of Fame
United States of America

Ch. 14 - Humanity's Gain from Unbelief (1889)

Unread post

by Charles Bradlaugh Edited by: Chris OConnor  at: 10/30/05 4:36 pm
Jeremy1952
Kindle Fanatic

Scary Christians

Unread post

This is a deeply disturbing essay. I guess, in the interest of living peacefully with my neighbors, I don't think about just how bad christianity is. For most of its history, it has adamantly supported slavery. Modern apologists say it isn't "really" part of the religion, but their bible doesn't support the contention: it is clearly supportive of slavery in many places. Not to mention, of course, the horrendous treatment of women espoused. There are a couple of chatters who come to mind. There is one, vox- something or other, who likes to blame secularization for the problems of modern america: Teenage pregnancy, STD's, divorce rate. Go back a little farther, and for a LOT longer, and you have church sponsored slavery, anti-intellectualism, superstitious support of disease (yes, the church is Plasmodium falciparum's best friend). Another says "Say you're walking down the street and see three guys in suits carrying bibles. Then you see three other guys dressed like rappers carrying a boom-box. You're going to be scared of the second guys but not the first. This proves that you secretly know that the bible is the source of all morality". This is so fucked up that I was dumbfounded the first time I read it. Yea, safer; if I'm white and they can't tell I'm Jewish! What it actually proves is that modern secular society is forcing organized christians to behave themselves. Between three hundred and two thousand years ago, the church would have happily murdered me, and you, too.
LanDroid

2A - MOD & BRONZE
Comandante Literario Supreme
United States of America

Re: Scary Christians

Unread post

Yes, it's depressing to be reminded of how repressive Christianity has been. This article is optimistic however - as science continues to progress, the influence of religion on the laws and freedoms of society will decline. This may be just a downward trend with occasional spikes upward as we may be witnessing now.Might be a good time to join this organization?www.au.org/
Jeremy1952
Kindle Fanatic

Unread post

I received a promotional mailing from from AU and put it in with our bills, to join next payday. YES YES YES I think we ALL should support AU. Without AU and ACLU (Did y'all know that Hellen Keller was one of the founders of ACLU?) Ashcroft would have us all jailed or deported.
LanDroid

2A - MOD & BRONZE
Comandante Literario Supreme
United States of America

Unread post

"Say you're walking down the street and see three penguins. Then you see three humans dressed like rappers carrying a boom-box. You're going to be scared of the second guys but not the first. This proves that you secretly know that penguins are the source of all morality".

Return to “Atheism: A Reader - edited by S. T. Joshi”