Online reading group and book discussion forum
  HOME ENTER FORUMS OUR BOOKS LINKS DONATE ADVERTISE CONTACT  
View unanswered posts | View active topics It is currently Wed Mar 03, 2021 10:39 pm

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 48 posts ] • Topic evaluate: Evaluations: 0, 0.00 on the average.Evaluations: 0, 0.00 on the average.Evaluations: 0, 0.00 on the average.Evaluations: 0, 0.00 on the average.Evaluations: 0, 0.00 on the average.  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4  Next
Ch. 1: Warnings 
Years of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membership
BookTalk.org Hall of Fame

Gold Contributor
Book Discussion Leader

Post Re: Ch. 1: Warnings
And his mother Anne Bancroft starred as Mrs Robinson in The Graduate and as Mary Magdalene. Quite a pedigree.

Mel Brooks is the greatest satirist of our age. Consider

Get Smart - espionage
Blazing Saddles - Westerns
The Producers - Movies
Young Frankenstein - Horror
History of the World Part One - Religion.

For years I used to confuse him with Mel Blanc who voiced most of the Bugs Bunny characters.

It is hardly surprising that WWZ provides such a withering brand of satire.

The following user would like to thank Robert Tulip for this post:
johnson1010
Fri Jun 22, 2012 11:48 pm
Profile Email WWW
Years of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membership
I dumpster dive for books!

BookTalk.org Moderator
Silver Contributor 2

Starting reading some of it, not sure if it'll hold my interest. Sorry gents.

Thu Jul 05, 2012 4:08 pm
Profile Email
Years of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membership
Genius

Just finished listening to # 1 . . . on Sunday night, I was told by a woman who is returning to Africa, where she will now become a permanent resident. Her life's work is helping to run a children's orphanage there. She's very attached to the kids.

I asked her how they're doing. There are a couple dying, she said - also one of them has rabies!

I didn't ask her to enlarge on that. She will be here in Toronto till September - when we meet for coffee, I'll ask her about it.

I was disturbed to hear about the rabies thing while listening to this chapter. Had I not been informed about this child, I probably wouldn't have taken it seriously.

The following user would like to thank WildCityWoman for this post:
Robert Tulip
Tue Jul 31, 2012 4:22 am
Years of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membership

Gold Contributor
Book Discussion Leader

This discussion of Africa reminds me of an article that I suspect influenced Brooks in his writing of World War Zombie.

The Coming Anarchy by Robert Kaplan was an influential article and book from the 1990s that saw the collapse of African societies due to civil war as presaging an epidemic of anarchy, a blood-dimmed tide loosed upon civilization. Kaplan's prediction has not come true, but the idea of collapse in poor countries as spreading by contagion to the rich world is rather similar to this zomboid idea of 'African rabies'.

Robert Kaplan wrote:
The Coming Anarchy
How scarcity, crime, overpopulation, tribalism, and disease are rapidly destroying the social fabric of our planet
By Robert D. Kaplan

The Minister's eyes were like egg yolks, an aftereffect of some of the many illnesses, malaria especially, endemic in his country. There was also an irrefutable sadness in his eyes. He spoke in a slow and creaking voice, the voice of hope about to expire. Flame trees, coconut palms, and a ballpoint-blue Atlantic composed the background. None of it seemed beautiful, though. "In forty-five years I have never seen things so bad. We did not manage ourselves well after the British departed. But what we have now is something worse—the revenge of the poor, of the social failures, of the people least able to bring up children in a modern society." Then he referred to the recent coup in the West African country Sierra Leone. "The boys who took power in Sierra Leone come from houses like this." The Minister jabbed his finger at a corrugated metal shack teeming with children. "In three months these boys confiscated all the official Mercedes, Volvos, and BMWs and willfully wrecked them on the road." The Minister mentioned one of the coup's leaders, Solomon Anthony Joseph Musa, who shot the people who had paid for his schooling, "in order to erase the humiliation and mitigate the power his middle-class sponsors held over him."

Tyranny is nothing new in Sierra Leone or in the rest of West Africa. But it is now part and parcel of an increasing lawlessness that is far more significant than any coup, rebel incursion, or episodic experiment in democracy. Crime was what my friend—a top-ranking African official whose life would be threatened were I to identify him more precisely—really wanted to talk about. Crime is what makes West Africa a natural point of departure for my report on what the political character of our planet is likely to be in the twenty-first century. more...

Tue Jul 31, 2012 8:42 am
Profile Email WWW
Years of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membership
Genius

Well, I've never really thought of humans as being 'rabid' . . . I know if you get bitten by a rabid animal, you need to get medical attention immediately. It can be fatal.

But I've never thought a human could become rabid.

Tue Jul 31, 2012 8:49 pm

Gold Contributor
Book Discussion Leader

Now the zombie horde is on the march, triggered by an insulting movie...

Mon Sep 24, 2012 4:00 pm
Profile Email WWW
Years of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membership
Tenured Professor

Robert,

Here's Mel Brooks hanging out with Jerry Seinfeld.

He still looks sharp!

Have you tried that? Looking for answers?
Or have you been content to be terrified of a thing you know nothing about?

Are you pushing your own short comings on us and safely hating them from a distance?

Is this the virtue of faith? To never change your mind: especially when you should?

Young Earth Creationists take offense at the idea that we have a common heritage with other animals. Why is being the descendant of a mud golem any better?

Confidence being an expectation built on past experience, evidence and extrapolation to the future. Faith being an expectation held in defiance of past experience and evidence.

The following user would like to thank johnson1010 for this post:
Robert Tulip
Thu Sep 27, 2012 4:22 pm
Years of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membership
Book General

Silver Contributor

I don't remember the insulting movie. Can you refresh my memery Robert?

Fri Sep 28, 2012 5:52 am
Tenured Professor

I think that's innocence of muslim, or whatever it's called.

On youtube, where apparently there's an image of mohammad.

I haven't seen it. but it seems it was enough to incite believers to murder.

stay classy islam.

Are you pushing your own short comings on us and safely hating them from a distance?

Is this the virtue of faith? To never change your mind: especially when you should?

Young Earth Creationists take offense at the idea that we have a common heritage with other animals. Why is being the descendant of a mud golem any better?

Confidence being an expectation built on past experience, evidence and extrapolation to the future. Faith being an expectation held in defiance of past experience and evidence.

Fri Sep 28, 2012 10:14 am
Tenured Professor

Muhammad -> :)

there's an image of Muhammad for you. go ahead, freak out.

Fri Sep 28, 2012 10:16 am

Gold Contributor
Book Discussion Leader

Suzanne wrote:
I don't remember the insulting movie. Can you refresh my memery Robert?

Apologies for my obliquity. Far be it from me to insult the prophet, blessed be his name.

Johnson is right about which film I meant. The Islamist reaction to the film bears passing resemblance to a zombie horde, an unthinking and unstoppable mass that is just one of the numerous plagues invading to destroy Western civilization. I don't think the monsters in WWZ bow down five times a day, but their brains are certainly switched off.

The reconquest of the USA at the end of WWZ might be comparable to the Reconquista of Spain from the Moors in the Middle Ages.

Fri Sep 28, 2012 3:06 pm
Profile Email WWW
Book General

Silver Contributor

I thought I missed something in the book. I get it now.

Fri Sep 28, 2012 5:20 pm
Tenured Professor

Zombie infestation simulator!!

YAY!

http://channel.nationalgeographic.com/c ... simulator/

Sat Aug 24, 2013 10:25 am
Years of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membership
Pop up Book Fanatic

oblivion wrote:
I can't believe I just ordered a book on Zombies. But dystopian literature is certainly the main course on the menu these days. Think about the highly popular "Hunger Games". Literature reflects the society from which it stems, intentionally or unintentionally. Think of Golding's "Lord of the Flies" or Atwood's "The Handmaid's Tale" ......or "1984". The list goes on and on. But I must admit, I enjoy dystopian lit. So, my Zombies should arrive tomorrow (you guys do realise that I probably won't be able to live this one down in my family, don't you?).

You and me both, oblivion. I wouldn't have but for my husband reading it and raving about it. :) I respect and 99% of the time agree with his reading choices. Glad he nicked onto it, I certainly enjoyed it.

The following user would like to thank Nora1 for this post:
johnson1010
Thu Sep 26, 2013 9:22 pm
Profile Email
Tenured Professor

What did you think was handled well, Nora?

What do you think might have been done better?

I commented elsewhere that the first time i read through the book i was a bit lost, sometimes, when he returned to a cheracter that had already been featured earlier. It sometimes took me a bit to realize, "OH! This is that guy who fought at Yonkers!" which changed the light in which i viewed the chapter.

Sat Sep 28, 2013 9:08 am
Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 48 posts ] • Topic evaluate: Evaluations: 0, 0.00 on the average.Evaluations: 0, 0.00 on the average.Evaluations: 0, 0.00 on the average.Evaluations: 0, 0.00 on the average.Evaluations: 0, 0.00 on the average.  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4  Next