• In total there is 1 user online :: 0 registered, 0 hidden and 1 guest (based on users active over the past 60 minutes)
    Most users ever online was 871 on Fri Apr 19, 2024 12:00 am

Ch. 1 - The Two Poets of Saffron Park

#116: Feb. - April 2013 (Fiction)
Aomame
Book Nut

Re: Ch. 1 - The Two Poets of Saffron Park

Unread post

Thx for the hint, Giselle! I think I will postpone the question until I have read a few more chapters...
Currently Reading:
Orhan Pamuk: My Name is Red/G.K. Chesterton: The Man Who Was Thursday/Jared Diamond: The World Until Yesterday/Bill Lauritzen: the Invention of God/Michail Bulgakow: The Master and Margarita/Laurence Sterne: Tristram Shandy/Leonardo Padura: The Havana Quartet/Thomas Mann: The Buddenbrooks: The Decline of a Family/Robert Rowland Smith: Breakfast with Socrates

Recently Finished:
Baratunde Thurston: How to Be Black/Norah Vincent: Self-Made Man/Elizabeth George: Well-Schooled in Murder

New on the shelf:
John Jeremiah Sullivan: Pulphead/Alex Vilenkin: Many Worlds in One/Leo Tolstoy: War and Peace/Joseph Conrad: Lord Jim/Neil Shubin: Your Inner Fish/Penn Jillette: Everyday Day is an Atheist Holiday
youkrst

1F - BRONZE CONTRIBUTOR
One with Books

Unread post

stahrwe wrote:Heretics, really? You're listening to Heretics?

Next thing you know you will be on to Orthodoxy.
:lol:

oh i'm on to it alright :D
stahrwe

1I - PLATINUM CONTIBUTOR
pets endangered by possible book avalanche

Unread post

Glad to hear it.
n=Infinity
Sum n = -1/12
n=1

where n are natural numbers.
stahrwe

1I - PLATINUM CONTIBUTOR

Unread post

Chapter One
The Two Poets of Saffron Park
Chapter Summary
Observations and questions.

The story itself begins a suburb of London referred to as Saffron Park in the book but actually Bedford Park.
A representative house in Saffron/Bedford Park London
A representative house in Saffron/Bedford Park London
240px-Bedford_Park,_London_in_2005.jpg (19.75 KiB) Viewed 7173 times
Chesterton refers to it as a pretentious artistic colony which had never produced any art. On an evening noted for its remarkable sunset, poet Gabriel Syme appears in Saffron Park and challenges the reigning anarchist, Lucian Gregory.

Syme calls himself a poet of order, but Gregory responds that such a poet cannot exist – poetry and art, by their very nature are anarchy. Syme challenges this ideas – he says that anyone can miss the mark, but only a true magician can hit it. Therefore, a true artist must be an orderly person. He subsequently accuses Gregory of not being, in reality a serious anarchist.

Syme parts from Gregory followed by his sister Rosamond. She is concerned for her brother but Syme explains that a true anarchist must be anonymous and that her brother is too proud to do so and therefore would never actually bomb anything. Relieved that her brother is not in any real danger the two talk for hours. After she leaves Gregory, who has been waiting out the conversation again confronts Syme. He tells him that he has irritated him more than any other man by claiming that he is not serious. He says that he can prove that he is a serious anarchist but first demands a pledge of absolute secrecy. Syme agrees and Gregory says that he will take Syme to a meeting of his anarchist club that very night.

From the outset Chesterton is playing with us.

What kind of anarchist would politely wait for an extended conversation to be completed if said anarchist had an important point to make or defend?

What kind of anarchist would even care what someone thought of him?

What kind of anarchists have club meetings?
We will see more about this as the story progresses. It turns out to be a very organized anarchist group.
n=Infinity
Sum n = -1/12
n=1

notacandylandfan
Official Newbie!

Unread post

Just started reading the book and am enjoying it! The two poets seem in chapter 1 to be constructed as deliberate opposites, yet joined by a shared area of interest, in a surreal setting. The most recent GKC I read, The Ball and the Cross, started out with a similar pair, with that book taking them on a voyage toward mutual respect and cognizance of each other's essential beliefs. In other words, they came together and almost fused into one. I wonder if this pair will do likewise.
Last edited by notacandylandfan on Wed Feb 20, 2013 10:26 pm, edited 1 time in total.
stahrwe

1I - PLATINUM CONTIBUTOR

Unread post

welcome aboard notacandylandfan.
n=Infinity
Sum n = -1/12
n=1

youkrst

1F - BRONZE CONTRIBUTOR
One with Books

Unread post

Aomame wrote:Did anybody else feel the same way? Or did my imagination run riot??
i read the whole thing as a kind of allegory.
lindad_amato
Intelligent

Unread post

I agree with Symes, "there are many kinds of sincerity and insincerity". We all often say things that sound sincere but have just become pleasantries (such as the thank yous we scatter around) or, if we're duplicitous, are out right lies. Symes seems to have a good handle on what constitutes polite conversation in groups like the one he has just entered.

Return to “The Man Who Was Thursday - by G. K. Chesterton”