• In total there are 0 users online :: 0 registered, 0 hidden and 0 guests (based on users active over the past 60 minutes)
    Most users ever online was 871 on Fri Apr 19, 2024 12:00 am

Ch. 1 - Breaking Which Spell

#29: July - Sept. 2006 (Non-Fiction)
MadArchitect

1E - BANNED
The Pope of Literature

Re: Positive first impression

Unread post

Mr P: Whether or not I buy the whole theory, it is a good means of bookkeeping to think of these memes as self perpetuating as in the method of genes.I think both the idea of memes and Dawkins presentation of the transmission of genes are useful as a form of bookkeeping. But I also think that acclimating yourself too much to that point of view -- which is both statistical and retrospective -- tends to distort the transmission of information (both genetic and cultural) in the phenomenon as it happens.By way of explanation, let me give an analogy. Keeping a log of sports statistics can be useful for certain tasks, that is, as a form of book keeping. But those looking at those statistics from a retrospective point of view isn't necessarily helpful in improving your game because they don't necessarily take into account what you're doing at any given time.

Return to “Breaking the Spell: Religion as a Natural Phenomenon - by Daniel Dennett”