• In total there are 0 users online :: 0 registered, 0 hidden and 0 guests (based on users active over the past 60 minutes)
    Most users ever online was 616 on Thu Jan 18, 2024 7:47 pm

Cel phones

Engage in discussions encompassing themes like cosmology, human evolution, genetic engineering, earth science, climate change, artificial intelligence, psychology, and beyond in this forum.
Forum rules
Do not promote books in this forum. Instead, promote your books in either Authors: Tell us about your FICTION book! or Authors: Tell us about your NON-FICTION book!.

All other Community Rules apply in this and all other forums.
0Lion0Eyes0

Re: Cel phones

Unread post

Hmmmm, I haven't really noticed it much but at risk of displaying my anti-socialness I must say I never use my cell phone. I have had one for years for emergencies, and more recently for free long distance. But in general I ignore it when it rings and don't use much. I always disliked the idea of how cell phones make you so accessible. I like to be unreachable, which probably pisses people off more than I thought about before. This discussion did catch my attention though because I have noticed more and more lately people's inability to show up on time or stick to plans. I am seriously fed up with people, and I wonder if this whole cell phone culture is part of the problem. I hadn't really thought about it before. I agree that I never understood why people couldn't put their phones on vibrate as well - it is more considerate. but as a woman I have to agree sometimes I have no choice but to put the dang thing in my purse - as women's clothing seems to be anti-pocket.
tarav

1F - BRONZE CONTRIBUTOR
Genuinely Genius

Unread post

I'm not part of you guys! I spelled it "cell"!
MadArchitect

1E - BANNED
The Pope of Literature

Unread post

That's how I've always seen it abbreviated. I realize, of course, that it's abbreviating "cellular", which is a reference to "cells". But that's the convention that's arisen around it, presumably to differentiate it from other kinds of cell.
MariaNiccola

Unread post

I wonder who did it first... was it the Man?
riverc0il
Senior

Unread post

Quote:Why are you guys spelling "cell" as "cel?"i always preferred the term 'mobile phone' any ways, hehe.
MariaNiccola

Unread post

I have a friend who still calls it her "Car Phone." I think she stole my Sting CD, too.
Chris OConnor

1A - OWNER
BookTalk.org Hall of Fame
United States of America

Unread post

I've never seen it written as "cel" prior to this thread. And I just ran a search and the only time I see "cel" is when webmasters are trying to capture hits off incorrect spellings.
MadArchitect

1E - BANNED
The Pope of Literature

Unread post

Well, maybe we'll get some hits off of this. You can thank me later.
Chris OConnor

1A - OWNER
BookTalk.org Hall of Fame
United States of America

Unread post

MisterG2120

Unread post

CELL phones: I heard the jury is still out on adverse side effects, some studies in Europe showed more benign tumors in heavy long-time users.I don't let the kids use them, maybe when they're adult-sized. I'm sure there's some small adverse side-effect to my use. I wish the phone cos would give you the option of having a safer, more shielded phone, BUT, that would require admitting a problem in the first place, which they would never do.As a technology alone, though, it's awesome, has revolutionized the world.

Return to “Science & Technology”