• In total there are 2 users online :: 0 registered, 0 hidden and 2 guests (based on users active over the past 60 minutes)
    Most users ever online was 616 on Thu Jan 18, 2024 7:47 pm

Cath. Diocese Appeals Court Order Opening Sex Abuse Files

A forum dedicated to friendly and civil conversations about domestic and global politics, history, and present-day events.
Forum rules
Do not promote books in this forum. Instead, promote your books in either Authors: Tell us about your FICTION book! or Authors: Tell us about your NON-FICTION book!.

All other Community Rules apply in this and all other forums.
Mr. P

1F - BRONZE CONTRIBUTOR
Has Plan to Save Books During Fire

Cath. Diocese Appeals Court Order Opening Sex Abuse Files

Unread post

Quote:December 28, 2006 The Diocese of Bridgeport, Conn. has appealed a Superior Court judge's ruling that thousands of pages of court files involving lawsuits against priests accused of sexual abuse be made public.AdvertisementThe case could return to the state Supreme Court, and the files concerning allegations of sexual abuse by as many as 23 priests in the diocese could remain sealed.Lawyers for the diocese notified a Superior Court in Waterbury late last week of plans to appeal the decision of Judge Jon M. Alander to unseal nearly all of more than 12,000 documents that have been under seal since the diocese settled sexual abuse claims by 23 individuals in March 2001.The court filing did not indicate on what grounds they plan to appeal Alander's ruling. Hartford lawyer Ralph W. Johnson III, who is representing the diocese, could not be reached for comment Tuesday, The Hartford Courant reported Wednesday.Alander ruled Dec. 6 that the public has the right to view the sealed documents, saying that keeping the documents secret to ensure a fair trial is no longer relevant. He ruled about a year after the state Supreme Court said the files should be open to the public and sent the case back to the lower court.The Supreme Court endorsed a 2002 lower court ruling, which the diocese appealed, that gave newspapers the right to seek access to the documents. The Courant, The New York Times, The Boston Globe and The Washington Post sought to unseal the documents in 2002.The abuse cases in question, which involved more than 23 victims, were settled in March 2001. The Courant obtained copies of some of the sealed documents about a year after the settlement, including depositions taken of Cardinal Edward M. Egan, archbishop of New York, who was bishop of the Bridgeport diocese from 1988 to 2000, and other diocesan officials.Stories detailing how Egan and other officials in Bridgeport ignored accusations or protected abusive priests were published in The Courant in 2002. The stories were based on depositions from the lawsuits, documents from the personnel files of accused priests and other diocesan memorandums.___Information from: The Hartford Courant, www.courant.comCopyright 2006 Associated Press. All rights reserved. This material may not be published, broadcast, rewritten or redistributed.Squirm bastards...squirm.Mr. P. Mr. P's place. I warned you!!!Mr. P's Bookshelf.I'm not saying it's usual for people to do those things but I(with the permission of God) have raised a dog from the dead and healed many people from all sorts of ailments. - AsanaThe one thing of which I am positive is that there is much of which to be negative - Mr. P.The pain in hell has two sides. The kind you can touch with your hand; the kind you can feel in your heart...Scorsese's "Mean Streets"I came to kick ass and chew Bubble Gum...and I am all out of Bubble Gum - They Live, Roddy Piper
Chris OConnor

1A - OWNER
BookTalk.org Hall of Fame
United States of America

Re: Cath. Diocese Appeals Court Order Opening Sex Abuse File

Unread post

This should be interesting.

Return to “Current Events & History”