• In total there are 0 users online :: 0 registered, 0 hidden and 0 guests (based on users active over the past 60 minutes)
    Most users ever online was 616 on Thu Jan 18, 2024 7:47 pm

Can never think what to say when introducing myself...

The perfect space for valuable discussions that may not neatly fit within the other forums.
Forum rules
Do not promote books in this forum. Instead, promote your books in either Authors: Tell us about your FICTION book! or Authors: Tell us about your NON-FICTION book!.

All other Community Rules apply in this and all other forums.
fairlee fairlady

Can never think what to say when introducing myself...

Unread post

Okay....I stumbled across 'Book Talk' when I was checking out any literature study guides available for 'Ship of Fools'. I belong to the AAUW book club and that is our next discussion book.I think the idea of this site is intriguing! I'm looking forward to seeing what happens... Salient facts:I am living an early-retirement life on the rural coast of Oregon. Previous lives were owner-operator of a trucking company/community services worker investigations on child abuse & neglect/special education teacher/police officer & parole officer.I have never believed in climbing the ladder of success--most of my life moves have been lateral (and in some cases completely skewed)Hate gardening, walks on the beach--but love to ramble with my two big Labradors in the woods to chase squirrels (the dogs, not me)I live alone and relish solitude.Okay, enough with the salient facts! Looking forward to meeting a few like-minded people on site.See you around.Fairlady
Loricat
Laughs at Einstein

Re: Can never think what to say when introducing myself...

Unread post

Nothing wrong with lateral (or skewed!) moves along the career road -- probably means you're more of a 'work to live' rather than a 'live to work' kind of person.Welcome! "All beings are the owners of their deeds, the heirs to their deeds." Loricat's Book NookCelebrating the Absurd
Chris OConnor

1A - OWNER
BookTalk.org Hall of Fame
United States of America

Re: Can never think what to say when introducing myself...

Unread post

You seem like someone I'd like to know in "real" life. First off, welcome to BookTalk. Is there a link you can provide to your book club? I'm sure we'd find it interesting too...or is it strictly an in-person book club?Some things you said caught my eye. Oregon is one of those states that I rarely hear anything about. From all the pictures I have seen I'm confused about why this is so. The rural coast of Oregon sounds beautiful. Any pics you want to share?It sounds like you have had an active life and I'm happy to see you never placed too high a value on climbing the ladder of success, although you might have climbed it without realizing you were climbing. How did you manage to retire early?I can understand why you hate gardening, but walks on the beach? And you live on the coast of Oregon? I assume the beachs are absolutely gorgeous. But hey, I live 10 minutes from the nicest beaches imaginable, and I only rarely make the trip to see them. The problem with Florida beaches is that they are littered with tourists and noisey children and intoxicated teens. For some reason I imagine Oregon beaches as places of solitude for quiet walks and personal reflection. I think I'd make the trip if I could enjoy the beach in peace.Labs are awesome. I'm a complete animal nut. People laugh at me because I carry a box of dog treats in the trunk of my car and I go out of my way to pet and talk to dogs. All my life dogs have been some of my closest friends and I can fully understand and appreciate the joy you find by playing with your labs in the woods. Labs have such awesome personalities too. Quote:I live alone and relish solitude.I've got a bit of this in me too. While I do love and cherish solitude, I find myself craving human interaction and touch too. For me it is about balance. I need my alone time, but I prefer it punctuated with quality time with family and friends. I have the best friends in the world and I doubt I will ever move out of the state of Florida as a result. We're extremely close and I can't picture living too far from them.But I do need and love my quiet time. I find myself overwhelmed and frustrated after too long around too many people. When I was a child I wanted nothing more than to live like Grzzly Adams in the mountains of Colorado (I think that is where the TV show was filmed) and see no other humans. Animals would be my friends.I hope to see you around BookTalk. Edited by: Chris OConnor  at: 8/1/06 10:51 am

Return to “Everything Else”