• In total there are 0 users online :: 0 registered, 0 hidden and 0 guests (based on users active over the past 60 minutes)
    Most users ever online was 616 on Thu Jan 18, 2024 7:47 pm

Can anyone make sense of this?

Engage in conversations about worldwide religions, cults, philosophy, atheism, freethought, critical thinking, and skepticism in this forum.
Forum rules
Do not promote books in this forum. Instead, promote your books in either Authors: Tell us about your FICTION book! or Authors: Tell us about your NON-FICTION book!.

All other Community Rules apply in this and all other forums.
MaesterAuron151

Can anyone make sense of this?

Unread post

Quote:In the reality of mathematical expression, discrete mathematics is applied to portion wholes into fragments whereby:Addition is defined in discrete sums and partial fractions as C = A + BWhere B = C
Patness

Re: Can anyone make sense of this?

Unread post

I don't have a strong knowledge of mathematics and I wouldn't be able to tell you the difference between Discrete and Continuous mathematics. I've covered a course on Discrete (which was delightful, but tip-of-the-iceberg stuff). So far all I've seen in that statement is the idea that a) Discrete and Continuous Mathematics embody different principles and b) that some of those principles are unfit descriptors.Now that's enough to get me on one toe, because I'm extremely doubtful of anyone making such a claim that says the fault is of the mathematics and not the applicator, because while the consistency of mathematics is always in question, it's accuracy is not.The rest is poorly reasoned mumbojumbo about how God isn't discrete. One could apply the words "finite", or "eternal" and "infinite" to describe discrete and continuous values in the sense that they're being described. In all likelihood, it's a purely false application of mathematics because there were never any mathematical properties from which to draw these conclusions in the first place.
Chris OConnor

1A - OWNER
BookTalk.org Hall of Fame
United States of America

Unread post

Well said, Patness. I'm enjoying reading your posts.
MaesterAuron151

Unread post

Yeah the other boards also refuted it as nonsense. Basically an extermely obfuse version of older arguments. Shame I would have liked to hear a new argument. Every story must come to an end.Edited by: MaesterAuron151 at: 3/10/07 9:13 pm
Frank 013
Worthy of Worship

Unread post

I read a good example as to why this mathematical reasoning is flawed. It goes like this, if you were to go by halves to get from one point to another it would be impossible to get from point "A" to point "B". Each step being 1/2 way to the next, this 1/2 step can be repeated into infinity. But in the real world it is entirely possible to get from point "A" to point "B". The supposed limitation only exists mathematically and has no bearing on reality.Later
MaesterAuron151

Unread post

Yeah the whole infinite midpoints problem. I think the concept of Plunk Lengths solve that. Every story must come to an end.

Return to “Religion & Philosophy”