• In total there are 3 users online :: 0 registered, 0 hidden and 3 guests (based on users active over the past 60 minutes)
    Most users ever online was 616 on Thu Jan 18, 2024 7:47 pm

Bush's Futile Care Act of 1999

A forum dedicated to friendly and civil conversations about domestic and global politics, history, and present-day events.
Forum rules
Do not promote books in this forum. Instead, promote your books in either Authors: Tell us about your FICTION book! or Authors: Tell us about your NON-FICTION book!.

All other Community Rules apply in this and all other forums.
Tessa3

Bush's Futile Care Act of 1999

Unread post

Don't you think it is a bit cynical that Bush, who signed the Futile Care Act of 1999 as governor of Texas allowing hospitals to terminate extraordinary services, albeit contrary to the wishes the patient's familyif a patient's family no longer had the ability to pay, now stump for prolonging Terry Schiavo's life contrary to her expressed wishes and those of her husband? Do you think once the remaining $40,000 of her $1,000,000 wrongful death settlement is exhausted, our illustrious President will advocate for pulling the plug?
Mr. P

1F - BRONZE CONTRIBUTOR
Has Plan to Save Books During Fire

Re: Bush's Futile Care Act of 1999

Unread post

Is this true? I have to find this in writing...It is not surprising though...since he is a two faced opportunist.Mr. P. The one thing of which I am positive is that there is much of which to be negative - Mr. P.I came to get down, I came to get down. So get out ya seat and jump around - House of PainHEY! Is that a ball in your court? - Mr. PI came to kick ass and chew Bubble Gum...and I am all out of Bubble Gum - They Live, Roddy Piper
MadArchitect

1E - BANNED
The Pope of Literature

Unread post

Well, he wasn't stumping for a "culture of life" back then.
Mr. P

1F - BRONZE CONTRIBUTOR

Unread post

Futile Care ActHere is a link to the State of Texas website...I have NOT read this through, but wanted to post it FYI.Mr. P. The one thing of which I am positive is that there is much of which to be negative - Mr. P.I came to get down, I came to get down. So get out ya seat and jump around - House of PainHEY! Is that a ball in your court? - Mr. PI came to kick ass and chew Bubble Gum...and I am all out of Bubble Gum - They Live, Roddy Piper
Mr. P

1F - BRONZE CONTRIBUTOR

Unread post

Her meds are already paid through Medicaid...from what I read...Mr. P. The one thing of which I am positive is that there is much of which to be negative - Mr. P.I came to get down, I came to get down. So get out ya seat and jump around - House of PainHEY! Is that a ball in your court? - Mr. PI came to kick ass and chew Bubble Gum...and I am all out of Bubble Gum - They Live, Roddy Piper
MadArchitect

1E - BANNED
The Pope of Literature

Unread post

This would seem to be the relevant section:Quote:450,
Chris OConnor

1A - OWNER
BookTalk.org Hall of Fame
United States of America

Unread post

Tessa3We really don't know for sure that she ever told her husband, or anyone for that matter, that she didn't want to be kept on life support if it became necessary. Couldn't her husband be lying?I heard through the grapevine that there are people that suspect her husband of being responsible for her current condition. Could he have beat her into her brain-damaged state? Would this explain why he doesn't want her to live? Might it explain why he refuses any and all further testing?I'm only throwing out some ideas. As a freethinker community we need to do our best to think critically and not become products of the media. Do some research and think about all perspectives.I really don't know what the right thing to do is in this case. I'm going to be preparing a will and all the paperwork necessary to avoid such a situation should I become a veggie. I think it is called a "living will," but I'm not sure.Chris
Chris OConnor

1A - OWNER
BookTalk.org Hall of Fame
United States of America

Unread post

I'm moving this from The Roundtable to the Politics forum. I think it fits better there.Chris
jjacobs43

Unread post

Quote:I heard through the grapevine that there are people that suspect her husband of being responsible for her current condition. Could he have beat her into her brain-damaged state? Would this explain why he doesn't want her to live? Might it explain why he refuses any and all further testing?The grapevine has gotten out of control on this. I have no idea what to believe any more. I read one article that claims he killed her cat. Good grief!But, anyway, he did not put her in that condition. It was caused by an eating disorder.
Tessa3

Unread post

The woman is for all intents and purposes dead. If her parents want to keep the shell of the woman she was pumping for the next 20 years, I would ordinarily have no problem with that, except for the fact that her husband is her guardian for health care. This is bigger than this individual case. Do you or I have the right to make end-of-life decisions for ourselves or appoint someone else to do so? Do we have the right to have our statutory attorney make health care decisions for us? Do we have the right to have those decisions upheld by the court, or will those decisions be second-guessed and overturned by over zealous right-wing zealots with an agenda who cannot be content to make their own final arrangements but are determined to make our choices for us.Are we entitled to the expectation that the laws in our state will be followed or that a faction of Congress will over reach itself to garner votes.This is more than about one family and their tragedy.

Return to “Current Events & History”